• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was your latest breakthrough?

My latest breakthrough was in putting, lower more to the cage rather then trying to float them in more, though the flight is still a float style just not as much float for the shorter putts. I was putting a bit high before and tried to correct this to help me in wind situations for short putts under 20-22 feet wind dependent. The other I am working on is the grounding discs into the ground trying to fix the way my wist and thumb is with that, finding my sweet spot in grip with discs that are true fairway drivers and up.

Last edited:
What is this Swedish style you speak of Brother Dave? I've always thought Feldberg had a cool style.

Not 100% but it is in the throwing motions Scandinavian's and others Europeans have a throwing style off tee that is different for both backhand and Forehand. My dad has a nearly 1/2 each style for his forehand, one of the few to do that type of throw with the tucking in during the throw.

What is this Swedish style you speak of Brother Dave? I've always thought Feldberg had a cool style.

Gonna be vague right now. Reach back/pull through/release points are more waist height than chest height. Mechanics are slightly altered.

Feldy probably has the purest Swedish throw commonly seen. By that I mean he really keeps his elbow straight compared to others like McCabe and Gurthie that sneak some elbow bending into their throws some. But yeah, it's basically the way a ton of Scandinavians used to throw compared to the predominant American/bent-elbow style. Long story short, Swedish differs from American by using a pendulum swinging motion versus all the synchronized series of levers. By keeping your arm straight you basically condense multiple levers into one bigger one. So instead of slinging a flail:

(American)
iu

you're slinging a mace:

(Swedish)
iu

Keeping the elbow straight makes it a lot easier to feel the hit (for me) b/c it's harder to get that broken link in your kinetic linkage. The other important fundamental stuff like weight transfer, bracing, footwork, opening and closing of hips/shoulders etc are a lot more intuitive and natural b/c they're largely by-products of keeping your body out of the way of the pendulum swing. If you like to hyzer-flip everything, you will love Swedish style.

Consistently hitting lines and gaps is less about obsessing on getting your hand to perfectly tag or traverse that imaginary hitpoint as you stride forward in your runup. Instead of conceptualizing everything like you're playing whack-a-mole and trying to aim it is easier to trust your runup will put you in line and instead focus on ensuring your upper body tilt is consistent with the type of shot you are trying to throw. In other words aim before you throw, but when you throw focus solely on your body and your form and not on visual ques.

Been a while since I found a thing to improve and successfully nail it down.

Anybody else?

I built my game around my backhand and thumber and it was decent enough but over the past two weeks I learned the real value of a forehand, so I dedicated time to watching videos and learning to throw a proper forehand drive. Today, I repeatedly out-drove my backhand with my forehand and though I'm pretty thrilled about that, I'm kind of bummed that in a week, I throw farther than the two years' aggregated practiced throws I developed on my backhand side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started out as a forehand dominant player and almost never threw a backhand. Even once I got proficient at the backhand, I have still been far more comfortable throwing a forehand approach over backhand. I have been in situations lately where a backhand approach is the only one that makes sense and has forced me to practice it. Being comfortable with both opens a lot of options and saves strokes.

Learning a FH approach. I still don't throw forehands far, but it's so much easier throwing flicks from 60-150' than backhands. Makes for a more boring round because of all the tap-ins instead of edge-of-the-circle putts to save par.

My latest breakthrough is 2-fold. Ending my obsession with throwing far and focus on repeating the exact same form on every throw and letting the disc be the difference in the throw. I did not realize it but I was putting absolute max effort into every throw, putter or dd. Now im trying to repeat the same smooth form. Its really getting fun when I can visualize the shot and then have the result be pretty close to that. When its not, I can immediately feel and tell that I tried to do something, probably over efforting, to influence the flight. Of course Im not talking about angles, certain flights require certian angles, etc..

I have recently noticed the guys throwing the farthest (with the exception of Conrad) have fairly slow and controlled run up/follow through. I slowed down quite a bit on the tee and focused on generating more snap. It has been about a month or two of that and I have made a significant (~10%) distance increase. This is after throwing similar max distance for about 2 years or so.

My breakthrough some might call a regression but I've gone to stand and deliver for almost every shot. I've gained distance and accuracy by just concentrating on the correct weight shift, keeping the disc on a straight line, and smooth late acceleration.

My plan was to eventually add the x step back once I got the timing right on the standstill. But I realized I could generate enough distance to be competitive on most of the courses that I play without having to do a run up. There are so many advantages...one being wet or slippery tee pads don't matter much to me any more.

I suppose I could get 25 more feet of distance with a clean run up but most of the time it's not worth adding all the variables that a run up causes.
I watch so many people with funky run ups not putting themselves anywhere near proper throwing position. I really think the average golfer would be better off skipping all of this and just concentrate on throwing the disc cleanly.

Yeah man, I've done the same thing. I agree that eliminating the variables that come into play with a run up and keeping things simple is a good approach. I live in central NC and play mostly tight wooded courses and find I can hit more tight gaps with a stand still throw. Even if I give up 25 ft it's worth it to hit the gaps (for me anyway).

I have felt like i've been on the verge of some huge break through for the last few years since I first got on youtube and searched how to throw a disc golf disc.

I think in all this time the only actual breakthrough that made a significant jump right away was the advice to throw as if you are puling on the cord of a lawnmower mounted vertically on a wall. That took me from 150' noob hyzers to 300' pretty quickly and from there it has been a constant breakdown, rebuild, regression in performance, climb back up to a little better, a little more accurate a little more distance.

I don't film myself nearly enough. Every time I do there is a bunch of glaring issues I didn't think i was doing... which leads me to think when I fix those i'm in for a big break through but still just a slow process.

What I guess could be big break throughs in the process:
Stopping rear-foot eversion and super early reach back.
stop rounding
Envisioning the disc on a straight line/wide reachback
stop rounding
Getting balanced on the brace foot... fully deweighting the rear foot
Stop rounding
ACTUALLY putting into practice slow is smooth smooth is far and to accomplish the list above not just think I am doing any of those things.

I have felt like i've been on the verge of some huge break through for the last few years since I first got on youtube and searched how to throw a disc golf disc.

I think in all this time the only actual breakthrough that made a significant jump right away was the advice to throw as if you are puling on the cord of a lawnmower mounted vertically on a wall. That took me from 150' noob hyzers to 300' pretty quickly and from there it has been a constant breakdown, rebuild, regression in performance, climb back up to a little better, a little more accurate a little more distance.

I don't film myself nearly enough. Every time I do there is a bunch of glaring issues I didn't think i was doing... which leads me to think when I fix those i'm in for a big break through but still just a slow process.

What I guess could be big break throughs in the process:
Stopping rear-foot eversion and super early reach back.
stop rounding
Envisioning the disc on a straight line/wide reachback
stop rounding
Getting balanced on the brace foot... fully deweighting the rear foot
Stop rounding
ACTUALLY putting into practice slow is smooth smooth is far and to accomplish the list above not just think I am doing any of those things.
If you keep your elbow out wide, you can't round. Overexaggerate the motion, don't even straighten it on the reachback. Feel like your elbow is stupid, stupid out in front of you.

This is just basic, but true for me. For years and years and years I could never throw a good backhand, relied on my youthful baseball arm and threw forehands in an ugly fashion out there just past 300 feet and called it good.

Then one day somebody mentioned that you don't grip the Disc hard until the very end of the delivery. Hold it "like a baby bird" up until the very end just before release then GRIP THE LIVING FREAKING CRAP OUT OF IT. It generates more arm speed. I was always gripping it hard the whole time.

I can now throw a 300-325' controlled backhand at an advancing age. Very happy with this. I won't be going pro anytime soon, but it's nice to actually be able to throw a damned backhand drive! I've only been able to do this for like 6 or 8 years.

Lates breakthrough was learning a proper flex shot. I have always been a 375' or so player with a slight flip up shot with something like a teebird. I have always had trouble getting the angle and height right for throwing a distance hyzer flip. Recently had a really big arm buddy explain his flex shot and it instantly allowed me to reach 450+ consistently.

It was essentially think about throwing it slightly up and out to the left flat, but focus on pulling it around right at the end. Instead of stalling out a very high anny, I was consistently getting the disc nose down at the Apex and a full flight . I think the explanation really was explaining snap 2009 in a way that made sense. Since the focus is pulling the nose around late in the throw. I've started finding this feeling on hyzers as well. It hasn't added much distance to my pure hyzers, but it is allowing me to reach the same distances on a more spike line.

It's funny how something you have seen in a video 20 times, clicks one day when you herecit another way.

Last edited:
I stopped using a putter to putt with. Using ESP Comets instead. Huge improvement.

I stopped using a putter to putt with. Using ESP Comets instead. Huge improvement.

Interestingly, I tried a similar thing with star makos for longer true putts, but sadly I cannot report any change to my game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying out the simpler run up/stand still approach some of you have mentioned. Interesting results so far.

After a Nate Sexton clinic and all this advice, I am all out of sorts. Might just need to go back to square 1.

Latest posts