• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you do?

What would you want 18 and 13 or 27 and 4

• Very hard 18 holes and a very easy 13 holes.

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Intermediate-Advanced 27 w/ 4 hole putting green.

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Something totally different.

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

kinfolkfan

Birdie Member
I'm in the midst of designing a course for a B&B/Lodge. We have 80 acres and a series of holes that have a nice flow around the property. We are getting 18 hole made baskets and have 13 regular mix and match baskets.
The question is:

Would you want a extremely difficult 18 with a extremely easy pitch and putt 13 hole course.

or

Would you want a intermediate-advanced level 27 hole course with a four hole putting green. This layout would have a path back to center Lodge every 9 holes.

What would bring more people to the middle of no where to play golf? Any feed back would be great.

I think the hard 18 and easy 13 would be a good combo. The 18 would bring serious disc golfers and the 13 would be nice for beginners or when I'm feeling lazy. Sounds awesome! Make sure you include lots of elevation change and dog legs with trees! Water hazards are fun too!

Gotta go with the combo. Please everyone, pros and noobs alike. Good luck!

A lot of it depends on what the property is like.

Some thoughts though:

The idea of a four hole "putting green" seems kind of silly. One or two warm up baskets should be plenty, use the rest for the course.

I do like the concept of a small beginner layout that is separate from the rest of the course.

Why not 27 holes with multiple tees for different skill levels?

And it's important to know the goal of the course. Do you want to give guests of the B&B something to do (err on the side of an easier, quicker to play course), or do you want to attract players from the region for a destination course with lodging on site (more holes are better), or do you want to put together a top notch tournament course (more difficult layout)?

Unless you're planning to host a big time tournament and draw in the elite-type players, I see no real benefit to creating an "extremely difficult" course at all. You can make it challenging to advanced and pro level players without making it "extremely difficult", and also have it be accessible and fun for lower-level players too. If this course is going to be some sort of drawing point for the business, the last thing you want is players turned off or intimidated by the difficulty of the course and choosing not to play. The hardcore and elite level players are really a minority in the grand scheme of things, and catering too them exclusively could be a detriment to business.

If you want to cover all your bases, my suggestion would be to design an 18-hole course that is a good blend of beginner-friendly and mildly challenging to the experienced player. Then maybe add a 9-hole loop of holes with a more advanced difficulty such that players can choose to play it or skip it during the course of their round. In other words, say somewhere around hole 5, have two paths leading from the basket, one leading to the extra 9 and the other leading to hole 6 of the primary 18. Players can then choose to play the extra nine with the final hole of the loop taking them back to hole 6 of the primary course for a total of 27 holes, or skip the extra and just play the regular 18 hole course.

Adding even just dual tee options on top of this could give you up to 54 different holes for players to try out. More variety is good, particularly if you're an out of the way place to which players are making a special trip to play.

Three dual tee 9 (or 10) hole loops as follows:
A = Blue & Red tees
B = Blue & White tees
C = Gold & White tees
Promote it as Two 18s and Two 9s (10s) covering four skill levels.

A = Blue & Red tees
B = Blue & White tees
C = Gold & White tees

^^^ This ^^^

I would say 18 challenging and a 9 hole pitch and putt. Maybe a 2 basket putting area and save 2 baskets incase of theft, damage, or vandalism

The idea of a four hole "putting green" seems kind of silly. One or two warm up baskets should be plenty, use the rest for the course.

I do like the concept of a small beginner layout that is separate from the rest of the course.

Why not 27 holes with multiple tees for different skill levels?

?

The the "putting green" would actually be a small 4 hole course in a open area. Most of the guest are total dg noobs and want to play it like horse shoes. However we want to change that by attracting others as well. So the four holes would have duel purpose. We also hold 2 tourneys a year where 4 baskets would be used for warm up. I do see your point however and the 27 would absolutely grow to have 2-3 pads per hole.

We never really have a pro turn out so making it a large 18 is kinda scary for me. I want people to play it, not hate me for it. LOL. But part of me likes the idea of it.

Unless you're planning to host a big time tournament and draw in the elite-type players, I see no real benefit to creating an "extremely difficult" course at all. You can make it challenging to advanced and pro level players without making it "extremely difficult", and also have it be accessible and fun for lower-level players too. If this course is going to be some sort of drawing point for the business, the last thing you want is players turned off or intimidated by the difficulty of the course and choosing not to play. The hardcore and elite level players are really a minority in the grand scheme of things, and catering too them exclusively could be a detriment to business.

If you want to cover all your bases, my suggestion would be to design an 18-hole course that is a good blend of beginner-friendly and mildly challenging to the experienced player. Then maybe add a 9-hole loop of holes with a more advanced difficulty such that players can choose to play it or skip it during the course of their round. In other words, say somewhere around hole 5, have two paths leading from the basket, one leading to the extra 9 and the other leading to hole 6 of the primary 18. Players can then choose to play the extra nine with the final hole of the loop taking them back to hole 6 of the primary course for a total of 27 holes, or skip the extra and just play the regular 18 hole course.

Adding even just dual tee options on top of this could give you up to 54 different holes for players to try out. More variety is good, particularly if you're an out of the way place to which players are making a special trip to play.

These words ring very true. And in the 27 hole layout you would be able to omit any 9 you choose to. And with multiple tees this seems like the best bet. And maybe a 2 hole putting green and save two for back ups.

Maybe it's just the area where I play, but I don't think I know anyone that won't play a course because it's too difficult. The more challenging courses are actually more of a draw for people that I know as long as they aren't just challenging because of pure distance, like a long, flat, wide-open course.

Just to give you a idea of what the two would entail.

The 18 and 27 hole runs through trees mostly. Fairly flat for the most part :( But we do incorporate all the elevation we can at every moment. There is a pond and stream that comes into play on the 18 and 27, the 18 would throw over the pond and the 27 has two holes that have greens with in 35 of the pond and a elevated tee that shoots away from the pond.

Both beginner course and practice area would be in a open field surrounded by trees and near the pond.

How about:

One really nice 18 hole course with dual pads and 9 of the holes with dual pins. Then a couple for putting / guests to goof off on and a couple for damage / backup.

Or Use the 13 extra baskets plus some other homemade targets/objects in a Blockhouse style "tiki" course. They light it up at night with light-ropes and have some putt-putt style gimics. The pictures are really old and don't do it justice but check it out. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2763

If it was my design id have the layout as follows
Just 18 holes but have permanent layouts for long and 13 for short
Short to short: 4500-5000
Long to short: 6500
Short to long: 7000
Long to long: 9000

Possibly every year you could have a fundraiser tourney so that you could get a couple baskets a year and make it 18 holes with two permanent pins on every hole

A = Blue & Red tees
B = Blue & White tees
C = Gold & White tees

I voted for something totally different. ^^^^ This is a great idea...

Since you have 80 acres, you can move baskets and tee pads to come up with a great layout of 27 holes for all skill levels.

Think Seneca, with more tees, and camping just off the course like the Grange (oops) the Blockhouse

Maybe add camping and that would bring in more people to a remote location for weekend events....

Yes I like this idea as well. The layouts that we are coming up with are trying to take the dgc around the property while not interfering with to many snowshoe/ hiking trails, the camping area, and the stage area. As well a large triangle in the middle of the rectangle property is a Lady Slipper preserve and can not be used. So I do have a few obstacles, but yeah lots of room in 80 acres. I feel this will be a work in progress and multiple tees will be a must.