• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What's a good "STIFF" and "THICK" Putter for the Push Putt

Was watching this Clinic by Ken Climo and Feldberg, and at this part they mention they don't like Soft feeling Putters, they want a harder, stiff and thick around the Dome type putter. This is so it feels more like a 1 lb. weight you are throwing into the basket as opposed to a Disc you are spinning into the basket.

Here's the part of the video I'm talking about:
https://youtu.be/NvUPKBXzkbQ?t=43m27s

Edit: Title should say "Thick"

Both of these guys used to putt with KC Aviars.

Hmm good advice. Although I feel like the 175g Magnet I have fades too much for using it for upshots. So I'm looking for an upshot putter too. Maybe one with super stiff plastic, so I can kill 2 birds with one Disc.

I do think the McPro Aviar is up your alley since it's really stiff, doesn't feel like slick star/champ style plastic, but will likely have decent longevity compared to softer DX/baseline blends as you'd be using it for approaches as well.

Getting putts and shorter approaches to not fade is a lot of technique too. I feel like any normal shaped putter within 35-40' for me flies the exact same. I definitely understand wanting stiffer plastic for more push/spush putts that you really pop out of the hand.

I feel like the 175g Magnet I have fades too much for using it for upshots. So I'm looking for an upshot putter too. Maybe one with super stiff plastic, so I can kill 2 birds with one Disc.

*RPM Tui
*Gateway Voodoo
*Innova Polecat

...yeah, I am a putter w*****

wolfman nailed it! 100% agree with these two ^^^

Edit: SpikeHyzer beat me to it.

OP buy a SS or Soft Wizard and thank me later.

Edit: SpikeHyzer beat me to it.

OP buy a SS or Soft Wizard and thank me later.

He asked for something with less fade than a magnet.

To the OP, Gateway Soft is a firm blend. Their medium got 'banned'.
Eraser blend may be a little firmer than Soft though.

I do think the McPro Aviar is up your alley since it's really stiff, doesn't feel like slick star/champ style plastic, but will likely have decent longevity compared to softer DX/baseline blends as you'd be using it for approaches as well.

...until it is under 40 degrees when it will crack if you come up low on a 20 foot putt.

Prodigy's putters in 350 plastic would fit the OP's needs. PA3 if you like a bead, PA1 if not.

Was watching this Clinic by Ken Climo and Feldberg, and at this part they mention they don't like Soft feeling Putters, they want a harder, stiff and thick around the Dome type putter. This is so it feels more like a 1 lb. weight you are throwing into the basket as opposed to a Disc you are spinning into the basket.

Here's the part of the video I'm talking about:
https://youtu.be/NvUPKBXzkbQ?t=43m27s

Edit: Title should say "Thick"

That's a what I like, a firm feeling putter (NOT PRO PLASTIC that stuff is just NOT GOOD, once it wears in its ok, but really there are better firm baseline plastics out there - I have a KC Pro and its not bad but I just cant say the plastic is good)

Of the putters I've used, I really like the Westside Shield - hands down my favorite stable to slight OS putter, feels 'full' and 'mildly bulky' but still not too much, its perfect in my opinion. Then if you want something that feels like youre pitching a hockey puck, check out the Reptilian Disc Golf SERPENT - I've got a bunch ;) so lemme know - its slower and low glide but great for just pitching putts, super straight, great disc

He asked for something with less fade than a magnet.

To the OP, Gateway Soft is a firm blend. Their medium got 'banned'.
Eraser blend may be a little firmer than Soft though.

Eraser is a bit soft and I like $ over S they are stiff but have a nice texture feel to them.

I personally would scrap the idea of approach and putt with the same one. Go with KCpro aviar as its the actual OG stiff putter, or a $ wizard I like the feel of the plastic more.

Then something straight for the approach. I prefer something a little softer for approaches anyway. Zero Medium Pure for the dead straight and BT Soft Harp for the OS.

firm ion

electron or proton or neutron

I personally would scrap the idea of approach and putt with the same one....

Why? I bag 4-6 molds on any given day and I approach with all of them. (I may carry multiples of the same mold for fragile plastics to have a pure putter version)

I think that one should be able to upshot with their putter mold.

Steve Brinster uses a push putt, and he has been using a dx classic aviar for years.

The DX Aviar is a solid choice for a push putter. Firm, little bit of grip and straight as an arrow. Other notable putter molds that are less stable than a Magnet; I'd go with either a Soft Magic and Classic Hard Deputy.

I disagree. I push putt with a Dagger but would never throw it. For longer putts, I spin a Deputy. I approach with Proxy, Atom and Mortar (a mid, but I use it for short approaches when I want a lack of glide and a sure fade).

Why? I bag 4-6 molds on any given day and I approach with all of them. (I may carry multiples of the same mold for fragile plastics to have a pure putter version)

i dont understand why you quoted me on this one

stiff putter for putting vs upshot putter are two different topics

i dont understand why you quoted me on this one

stiff putter for putting vs upshot putter are two different topics

I misclicked, I did not mean to. I did not see it until the 5 minutes was past.

I get the different plastics for different duties, just not for sure about special molds. Maybe, I can't throw an Ion but in a pinch I could putt with it.
I just would not bag a mold if I couldn't do both.

Last edited: