• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the highest concentration of disc golf courses?

johnt1969

Bogey Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I just got to thinking about something from another thread. I don't know if this has been looked at before but...

What's the highest concentration of disc golf courses in one area?

I know Cincinnati has a lot. If you do the map browser and put in 45231 for the zip code I think 34 courses come up. Those are all within about a 45 minute drive. It makes it hard to decide where to play. haha

What other high concentration areas are there?

Sweeeeeet

That's cool. Have you ever seen the picture of the world at night with the lights on? It reminds me of that.

From that map it looks like theres a high concentration in Michigan and maybe somewhere in Wisconsin. I haven't looked at the map to see exactly where those places are.

49261main_usa_nightm.jpe

I love that map. But without a doubt, Minneapolis/St. Paul has to be number one overall in terms of course density. Take the zip code 55402, which is the dead center of downtown Minneapolis, and you have exactly 50 courses within 50 miles. And 60 within 60 miles.

I think a 50-mile radius, based on the PDGA's zip-code lookup, is a pretty fair standard to use for this type of comparison.

BTW - I just moved from Minneapolis three months ago, and I miss those 50 courses a LOT!

I have a few courses..zip code 27607 which is one code of Raleigh NC.. also there are a few home courses that are not listed..I don't have 50 courses within 50 miles. And 60 within 60 miles but there are enough not to get tired of anyone course

But without a doubt, Minneapolis/St. Paul has to be number one overall in terms of course density.

That's the same thing I was going to say before I saw this post, so I second that opinion.

In fact, I'd suggest this be considered the standard that others would have to beat. I wonder where numbers 2 and 3 are, though?

Not sure on #2... Cincinnati? Charlotte? Austin?

The results of some quick research..... Chicago looks good! What other cities should be covered?
Austin TX 78701
29 within 50 miles

St. Paul MN 55101
50 within 50 miles

Davenport IA 52801
30 within 50 miles

Denver CO 80203
32 within 50 miles

Los Angeles CA 90018
22 within 50 miles

Cincinnati OH 45202
33 within 50 miles

Charlotte NC 28202
30 within 50 miles

Seattle WA 98168
22 within 50 miles

Portland OR 97201
29 within 50 miles

Des Moines IA 50314
37 within 50 miles

Chicago IL 60514
64 within 50 miles

Dallas TX 75207
36 within 50 miles

other things to consider; how many are full 18 hole courses, should 50 be the standard?

That's the same thing I was going to say before I saw this post, so I second that opinion.
I'm not sure it's an opinion. AFAIK, MPLS/St. Paul is know as having this honor for sure. IIRC, it's the only place where it's possible to even tie the record for most number of holes played in one day. Anywhere else and there would be too much time spent driving to make it.

The results of some quick research..... Chicago looks good!
Numbers don't tell the story. Chicago is a suckhole of despair when it comes to disc golf. There are a lot of 9-hole flat wide open pitch and putt courses around Chicago. The very best courses in the area can only be considered average. I always tell my friends when they go to Chicago to just play the course that happens to be nearest to you. NONE of them are worth a special trip out of your way.

Numbers don't tell the story. Chicago is a suckhole of despair when it comes to disc golf. There are a lot of 9-hole flat wide open pitch and putt courses around Chicago. The very best courses in the area can only be considered average. I always tell my friends when they go to Chicago to just play the course that happens to be nearest to you. NONE of them are worth a special trip out of your way.

I'll second that. I've only played two courses in Chicagoland but I'm betting they're indicative of the rest of the area. One was wide open, spread out, and completely flat with almost no trees to speak of. The other was 18 holes crowded onto a piece of property that would have a hard time with 9 holes. Keep in mind that I selected these two courses because they were among the best reviewed in the area. Pretty sad. I guess Michigan has spoiled me.

I was just looking at Chicago and was amazed at the number of courses. Then I saw your comments. What a shame.

But "suckhole of dispair" is a great descriptor. I think I'm going to borrow that one from you and include it in a review some time. I've been accused of being mean in my reviews. That should really tick some people off. haha.

Just kidding.... btw.

Hey, it's not that the Chicago guys don't try. They are stuck in a weird political situation. The Park Districts up there traditionally have not tried to gather up large portions of open space because there are Forest Preserve Districts. So the Park Districts have small parks that they like to develop. The Forest Preserve Districts have large pieces of undeveloped land that they manage as open space.

The Park Districts do allow disc golf, but by in large they don't have the space for appropriate courses. The Forest Preserve Districts DO have the appropriate land, but every Tom, Dick and Harry special interest group that wants access to a plot of land is knocking at their door. If they allow any group access, they open the door to all groups. Since their mission is to protect and manage natural open space, they can't do it. So disc golf gets a "NO" along with everybody else (except ball golf, which they make an exception for because they make a TON of money from it.)

Also, there are so many people that there is incredible pressure to develop land. The land prices are sky high. Nobody with 15 acres in their right mind would pass on the big payday of selling their land to a developer so they can install a private disc golf course and charge people $5 to play. The land also is some of the best farm land in the nation, and many of the counties in the area are putting the kibosh on converting any more farm land to any other use due to the wild population spread out of the traditional Chicago area. Add to that the fact that the land around there is flat-flat-flat.

What you end up with is the best you can get...A whole lot of very unremarkable flat, wide-open 9-hole pitch and putts. Sadly, that's all those folks really can expect.

I found this old thread and found it interesting. I got to thinking where I would like to live if DG was apart of the decision.

While I honestly do not believe it would be any of these, except maybe Minneapolis or Charlotte, it just got me thinking. I'm to small town for most of these.

Philadelphia 29 in 50
Charlotte NC 31 in50
Detroit 31 in 50
Milwaukee 30 in50
DesMoine 32 in50
Minn/St Paul 51 in50
Houston 33 in 50
Dallas/ Ft Worth 40 in 50
Portland OR 26 in 30
Chicago 65 in 50

If you're going to consider a place to move for disc golf, you might want to consider how much of the year you're going to want to be outside playing. I'll play in any weather, but I know there are lots of people who won't play in Texas summers or Minneapolis winters.

I will play in anything outside of a blizzard or a lightning storm. I may live in Virginia. But I was born and raised on the Washington/Idaho border and I know what snow to your bung hole is all about.

As for summer heat. It was 95 with 95% humidity today and that does not stop me.

I just want to throw plastic!

I think Grand Rapids/West Michigan is being overlooked. We have a tone of courses almost 40 within 50 miles of my house and the ones I have played are great. I should really make an effort to play the rest.

Also consider quality vs. quantity.

Austin, TX is good for year-round golf excellence. Yes, it's hot in the summer, but there is shade available.

Kansas City is more temperate and has some quality courses from which to choose. Plus they host Worlds.

Last edited:

Latest posts