• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the highest concentration of disc golf courses?

I think Grand Rapids/West Michigan is being overlooked. We have a tone of courses almost 40 within 50 miles of my house and the ones I have played are great. I should really make an effort to play the rest.

And you've got some courses that sound really nice a little further out. I really want to take a trip to your area this summer, hit up Flip and Beauty/Beast/Goliath along with all the cool courses in the Grand Rapids area.

If you're going to consider a place to move for disc golf, you might want to consider how much of the year you're going to want to be outside playing. I'll play in any weather, but I know there are lots of people who won't play in Texas summers or Minneapolis winters.

Those people are just wimps. I was out there today at 3pm at 98 degrees, and I had fun. You just have to be smart and wear light colored clothing and drink lots of fluids.

Those people are just wimps. I was out there today at 3pm at 98 degrees, and I had fun. You just have to be smart and wear light colored clothing and drink lots of fluids.

Oh I agree completely, I've played in temperatures from -15 to 110. I don't believe in letting the weather stop me from doing what I love to do, I just look at it as one more challenge on the course.

I don't have 50 within 50, but I have 21 within 50 miles from 42320. There is a lot of varity in those course's, so theres always a heck of a challange

Last edited:
Oh I agree completely, I've played in temperatures from -15 to 110. I don't believe in letting the weather stop me from doing what I love to do, I just look at it as one more challenge on the course.

I agree. Most of my friends won't go out if it drops below 50

Heck, I don't even put on long pants to play until it gets under 50. :D

I almost killed my friends today. We started at 3pm when it was 98, and played two rounds. My friends game fell apart in the second round, and I shot 3 under par. They were ready to quit after 2 rounds. I wanted to play one more, but they were driving, and I didn't want to walk home.

I almost killed my friends today. We started at 3pm when it was 98, and played two rounds. My friends game fell apart in the second round, and I shot 3 under par. They were ready to quit after 2 rounds. I wanted to play one more, but they were driving, and I didn't want to walk home.

I understand completely, that's how it is when my gf and I take friends out to play. We're just getting warmed up after 36 holes, and they're dying. We love to go play all day, and we haven't found too many people who want to do that with us.

Charlotte is putting in I think 6 more 18 holers in the next few years for 2012 worlds. They will all be great courses like the existing 5 in town.

If you are thinking about moving.....move now and put your stamp on what will be the unquestioned mecca by helping to build them.

holy thread unearth! This reminds me of last summer. Not that this is a bad subject or anything. I'm thinking Minneapolis might make a good trip destination!

The only reason im go to school in grand rapids is for all the disc courses. Trying to get into the college I really want to go to, but in the mean time I'll enjoy playing all the courses in Michigan I've wanted to. Weather's a big concern though as 2-3 months are very bad for snow and ice, but can be played in if my car can make it to the course.

The only reason im go to school in grand rapids is for all the disc courses. Trying to get into the college I really want to go to, but in the mean time I'll enjoy playing all the courses in Michigan I've wanted to. Weather's a big concern though as 2-3 months are very bad for snow and ice, but can be played in if my car can make it to the course.

Should be nice this time of year

My only broken disc was in a -5 wind chill. Just wear warm, waterproof boots in the snow and avoid trees (at least with DX or Pro plastic) if at all possible. What the peepz here tell me is that playing through the winter is what gets your distance.

I understand completely, that's how it is when my gf and I take friends out to play. We're just getting warmed up after 36 holes, and they're dying. We love to go play all day, and we haven't found too many people who want to do that with us.

I know how it is.

Yep, talked with a Charlotte planner....6 more are in the works, one definately as it's already been started. They already have one of the best "meccas" of disc golf in the southeast, by 2012....it should done and hopefully on the map as the best!

Augusta,Ga is also coming into it's own as one of the "meccas" for DG. The IDGC has 3 and one other in the works, and then 5-6 others in the general vicinity.

Quality over quantity.

Once you get past 20 courses within an hour drive, I'm not sure how much it matters. If there are 40, I suspect very few players play all 40---perhaps once, to check each out, but even the most avid players are likely to settle down to no more than a dozen they play with any regularity.

My other thought, for anyone looking to move or for local boasting rights (very little of the former, great deal of the latter), would be for tournament players: how many good-to-great courses, with tournaments, within, say, 2 hours?

I'm in the Minneapolis area and my zip of 55418 shows 67 in 50 miles. As with most people many of those are 9 hole courses but here many that are not. :)

Latest posts