• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your backhand flaw?

Your backhand flaw?

• Nose Angle (too low/high)

Votes: 33 23.7%
  • X-step/run up (I have two left feet)

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Reach back (Did you say reach around?)

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Pull through (Paco starts my lawn mower, not me)

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • Snap (I am limp-wristed Larry)

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • Follow Through (I fall down like a drunk fairy)

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Off Axis Torque (discs flutter, turn over, etc.)

Votes: 31 22.3%

• Total voters

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I thought it would be interesting to take a poll of what everyone's most common flaw is in their backhand, with some common culprits. Mine is definitely keeping the nose down.

If I try to muscle the disc for a huge shot I sometimes release it with the nose too high, I need to find a better balance of form and power.

If I try to muscle the disc for a huge shot I sometimes release it with the nose too high, I need to find a better balance of form and power.

be honest with you I have been practicing he dan beato version of driving with elbow first and I havn't put even a HALF of my power in the swing becuase its akward right now and I already threw about 300-350 today I can feel the potentiol and accuracy is insane when you keep the disc chest high

I voted snap because I'm not sure if I really get any at all. :p Actually, I don't have any idea what my flaws are. If I knew I'd probably be a lot better. I need to see a pro or something sometime.

I am really trying to master the backhand. I have been throwing forehand from the start. I am putting more effort into perfecting my backhand though. I am struggling with distance. I can double my distance with a forehand.

i prefer tomahawks and forearm but have been trying strictly backhand to try to improve my game. my scores are a lot higher than they used to be but i have hit come within about two feet of hitting my first ace so at least there is some hope for me.

I have never made a backhand drive with anything approaching a true snap. I am amazed when you can hear the snap of other players. I am a forehand player in desperate want of a backhand. I go out and practice but without much satisfaction. I try to grip it tighter and I griplock. I have seen a little recent improvement but in a tournament I am reverting to forehand drives.

Snap is basically an "all of the above" option.

Snap it is then!

I have also been practicing the Dan Beato video, and it has helped a lot. I can get a snap some times, but never consistently. I have been working on my form a lot for the past 2 1/2 weeks, but I am making slow progress. Guess that's the way it works though. :rolleyes:

2nd biggest problem would probably be my X-step. I can get more accuracy and more distance from a stand still or a single step (per Dan Beato method). I think I may just give up the X-step until I can get my form working perfectly from a stand still, single step and double step. Okay, just talked myself into it! :p

A lack of angular velocity due to wrists that aren't as strong as my arms. Probably why I get the most distance with fairly stable or understable discs. Attempts to increase spin sometimes result in fatal griplock.

I'd have to say that my stumbling x step puts me off balance which I then try and compensate for by adjusting the nose angle at the last possible instant. At that moment I also factor in how out of horizontal my shoulders are and also take the wind into the picture. Because I have zero snap, I don't worry about that....which helps me to relax and that relaxing is vital if I'm going to get the maximum OAT on my disc.

Distance drives I have trouble with keeping the nose down, by far my biggest flaw.

For people with the nose down issue, I recently conquered it watching one of the recomended videos here.

Part 1: Your disc should rest in your hand in a straight line from between your four fingers(Star Trek fans make the Vulcan salute and work from there) down to the base of your palm to the crease there where your life line ends. Hold the disc in that position with your off hand and force your fingers to grip the disc there without moving the disc.

Part 2: When you throw, do so with your wrist as far down as you can get it. This is hard to describe. It's almost a straight line from your shoulder to your thumb is the best way I can describe it.

As long as I follow this form, I cannot release with the nose too high.

I voted snap because I'm not sure if I really get any at all. :p Actually, I don't have any idea what my flaws are. If I knew I'd probably be a lot better. I need to see a pro or something sometime.

Hey there everyone. I checked out the Dan Beato video below. I tried the technique in a big, wide open field near work during my lunch break the last two days. Based upon what he said, my arm hasn't been close enough to my body. So I probably wasn't getting any snap at all.

Today, day two, the results are already starting to show. My previous longest level ground, no wind throw was about 327'. Well today, I made about 4 throws that were over 330''. Then in one instant, I made the level throw of my life thusfar. I cranked one out to 375'. For me, it was a thing of beauty. It was with my 150 Champion Valkyrie. It did the perfect S shape flight. I could tell in the air that it was nice. I could see that it was past my other throws when it landed. But when I picked up my 330' ish throw, I didn't see my other disc. I kept walking and couldn't believe that it was almost 50' further.

You can bet that I'll be back in that field tomorrow!!!! Before today, I had conceeded that I would never throw 400' on the level without a tailwind. Now I'm not so sure. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7...F2D8240D7&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

All of them. But I think my pull through is hurting my distance the most. I want to swing my arm around instead of pulling through. Force of habit.

Latest posts