• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your backhand flaw?

Your backhand flaw?

• Nose Angle (too low/high)

Votes: 33 23.7%
  • X-step/run up (I have two left feet)

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Reach back (Did you say reach around?)

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Pull through (Paco starts my lawn mower, not me)

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • Snap (I am limp-wristed Larry)

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • Follow Through (I fall down like a drunk fairy)

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Off Axis Torque (discs flutter, turn over, etc.)

Votes: 31 22.3%

• Total voters
My games pretty solid up to 350 without a full reachback. When I try to go big my arm flails, my timing goes, weight shift problems, and can barely get the nose down:(
looks like two different people- one with a confident, well timed approach with good followthrough- and one with a silly hop run up and a bad back(I curl over when I go for a full extension)

Nose up. For normal drives it's not a problem, but messing around with anhyzers makes me get it nose up. I don't throw a lot of distance anhyzers because I can just throw forehand hyzers, but when i decide to play around in a casual round I find I have to make myself think about nose down angle.

I voted Snap. I feel like I have all the basics down, I get a good flight path and everything -- but I just wish I had more POWER!! I'm a skinny guy, I feel like I have decent form -- no OAT or nose angle issues, but my strength in general limits me. Do I need to start working out more? I believe the answer is absolutely YES.

I do my best to get my legs/hips/core into my throw, although I'm sure I have a couple noteworthy flaws. I can max at almost 400' backhand, but I throw forehand for distance -- I used to play baseball so the motion comes pretty natural.

So to answer the question: one of my foremost flaws is my stength. If I gained some stength in my arms, legs, and core, I feel like I could throw up to 50' farther backhand.

Snap, whatever that is. Seriously though, I have been working on this. I have tried to muscle my discs too much and the only way I get them to go far is pure power in my throw. I need that elusive snap or spin on the disc to get more distance.

Would have been snap last year...I went with nose angle though. My drivers have been coming out nose up with and hyzer since resuming play this spring.

I dopn't get pulling through. And thats funny because I mow lawns.

Why can't I select more than one option? ;)

Seriously, though, I need some snap-action improvements, big time.

You forgot to include my big flaw on the list - airbounce! I do not pull across flat and smooth. People find it amazing that I get the D I do with my funky form. I think it is remnants of Ultimate form.

I also hold the disc with my off-hand during my reach-back which is a no-no.

Which one? Right now I seem to have many. I have regressed. Thinking of riding the bike for a few years and then coming back. I suck righ tnow. Maybe even the Preisthood in a Trappist Monestary. It couldn't hurt. Plus they have good beer.

snap and release angle/rolling the wrist

my bad habit is OAT w/ anny release angle. developed that trying to throw a wraith as a beginner. still haunting me. lately i've been just trying to do a smooth hyzer, usually with a leopard or teebird. even then, trying to do a hyzer, i still find myself rolling my wrist and turning the disc over. it's so hard to reprogram muscle memory.

Lately it has been my pull through. If I can start the disc on the right line, it is going to go where I want it most of the time, but in the last few weeks, my discs have been starting on the wrong line. I get plenty of distance (about 350), but I can be 50 feet or more off line. Its not just driving, but mids too. Sometimes I will get lucky and hit a line through the trees, but it won't be the line I intended.

Right now, my biggest issue seems to be pull through. I'll get my forearm coming around away from my chest, like a tennis backhand, rather than keeping tight and SNAP, all at once. Noticing this especially when going for bigger distance drives.

my biggest issue recently is my casting angle (l/r). whenever i tweak my long drive (which i have recently...i now line up more or less with my back to the target. i used to start with my shoulders in line with the target.), it takes quite a while for me to get the l/r angles dialed in.:\

I put down pull-through which my problem is part of that. The big deal is that I am still occassionally trying to put too much arm on it. My snap is good from the few Zephyr rounds but arm speed is a problem I am going to try to lick over the next couple weeks.

Tomorrow=field practice.