• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your disc golf history?

Bump for a lot of new people here. I like to read stories
Thanks, man!

great thread.

Started playing Ultimate with a team about 1979. We also played a lot of Freestyle, MTA, and Hackysack. When word hit that a Disc Golf Course had been installed within an hour of us, we added some disc golf to the group's activities (there were some occasional golf tourneys coupled with Ultimate tourneys we played in, too). I know I was playing before I got my driver's license (in July of '82), but I really don't know when I first played. I know I golfed "all the time" in the days after I got my license, but it was actually only about two or three times a month and only during the summer months - but back then that was considered a ton. I know the guys who had jobs were jealous. Much as I am today of you kids playing multiple times a week with a wide variety of courses...;)

Played a little in college, and then 3-4 times a week after Purdue finally built a course on campus (87-ish). Bought either an Aero or an Aviar about this time and thought "what a glorious age in which we live with such advanced disc golf technology"...

Moved to Atlanta after school and dumped a ton of cash at "Identified Flying Objects" buying all the latest and greatest discs as they were released in the early 90s. Now we can laugh at the Jaguars, Polecats, gumbputts, scorpions, etc., but back then, at Wills Park, we could mock the losers playing with Ultimate discs...

I wish I hadn't stopped playing in the late 90's (there was no reason, I just never got around to playing), and I wish I hadn't mocked Dave at Wills Park in 93.

I played baseball at Warren Township Park in Gurnee IL. I investigated to see what the strange metal things were. Later I played with frisbee lids and was mad cause i couldn't throw far at all. I abandonned it but played sometime in the next summer and found a stingray. I could throw it so much better. I didn't investagate further but kept playing with my stingray. Slowly but surely, my love for disc golf grew. Last summer was really when I started playing as much as I could. I stopped for the winter though (I bet I play a ton this winter though). This spring though, oh boy, was I hooked. I now play more than I have time for. It helps that my home course is directly next to my high school. Next step, get a job, and a license and play wherever and whenever I want to! Which seems to be pretty much always! Ohhh, I'm salivating just thinking about playing wherever I want to! So many courses around me that I haven't played!

Addicted to disc golf
871 rated
Steven Jacobs

when i was 2 months old my dad used to take me 2 the course in 1 of those baby basket things, ive played most of my life

The first time I ever even heard of disc golf was in 1997, when I met my girlfriend (now wife), and she was telling me how she and a bunch of her friends would go out and play all the time. She often asked if I wanted to join them and play a round. I had absolutely NO interest at all. I mean, a bunch of stoners wandering around, tossing frisbees into metal baskets??? That was my image of what disc golf was.

Flash forward to earlier this year. A co-worker and I are just BS'ing at work, and he mentions disc golf, and tells me I should come out with him and his son. So I'm thinking "what the hell..I have a gift card to Dick's, and if I don't like it, I'm out a few hours and $0 of my own cash." So I trot off to the store, buy a 3 pack of discs, and hit the course with them. A wide open, 9 hole course with no elevation changes, no trees to speak of, and seemingly nothing challenging about it... I had a blast, just learning to throw, just the basic challenge of getting better at something, even that first time out. 6 months later (and 4 new discs, 9 courses in 3 states) and I am a full fledged junkie. I can't get enough. And yes...my wife still plays, and taught me a two handed putt!

Grew up in the "Whammo" generation. Always had a frisbee or 5 around.
Played object courses in CA in the 80's for a short time.

Didn't start playing real DG till Mar '07, been hooked ever since...

Its funny because I was just thinking about when I started playing disc golf when I saw this thread come back up, and it really got me thinking and I know how it happened but not exactly sure when. On my information here its say 7.x years or whatever but my son is turning 9 in a week and pretty sure I started before he was born.

I was working 3rd shift at Wal~Mart when a maintenance guy brought it up. At first, I thought it was the stupidest thing, and did not go as a bunch of other people I worked with went to Roscoe Ewing park. The next night at work, they were all stirred up about it, but I still was stuborn and when they would explain it to me, I would profess that they were stupid and the game was stupid and refuse to give it a shot.

As time went by, more and more of them were going out to play it and comming back with the same excitement the next night so I finally went out with them, was given a Banshee, Stingray and an Aviar and while the Banshee was probably their way of getting back at me for calling them stupid for so long, I soon discovered OH shots, as I finished with scores of 88 and 86 lol.

I left the course and went straight to MC sports and got an Innova starter kit that had an Aviar a Stingray and I think a Leopard. (hindsight I probably should have gave the Leopard more respect) Then I went home and ordered a Banshee. In fact, that part might be the most clear of when I started as the Banshees had first run stamps at the time.

from there I started playing but I never really got out that much and I watched as newcommers would pass me by. Eventually, life changes happened to where it got more and more dificult to get out. I tried to get what is now my fiance to play, but she was uninterested worse than I was at first, and some years went by where I couldnt play at all.

Finally, about July of this year, somehow it came up with my fiance, her son and my son and they decided to go out to play with me. I dusted off my bag and we headed back to Roscoe Ewing. Immediately after the round, there we were in MC Sports as I myself was years before, getting each of them a starter set and life has been good since. I dont have as much natural distance as I did back when I first tried it, but I am getting out more and developing a much more complete game.

MY SON CAME HOME FOR A VISIT IN JUNE 2009. ONE MORNING DURRING BREAKFAST HE ASKED ME TO PLAY DISC GOLF. AFTER SOME PURSCUATION I SAID OK. WE WENT TO A COURSE IN UPSTATE NY, HYZER CREEK. FOUR OF US PLAYED MY FIRST TIME EVER, FINISHED SECOND. WHERE THE HECK HAVE I BEEN ,IS THIS SOMTHING NEW? HE LIVES IN COLORADO PLAYS TWICE A WEEK, 3000 COURSES ACROSS THE US. ARE YOU KIDDING ME ? THE NEXT DAY DISC NATION. ORDERED A 5 PACK W/ BAG. BEAST,ARCH ANGLE , TWO MID RANGE AND A PUTTER.FOUR MONTHS LATER 20+ DISC ,TOURNEY BAG AND TRY TO PLAY AT LEAST TWICE A WEEK. SOME DAY ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS BUT PRATICE MAKES PERFECT. ONLY PLAYED TWO COURSES IN MY AREA, NOT MANY TO CHOOSE FROM. HEADING TO MICH. THANKSGIVING CANT WAIT TO PLAY THERE. HICKORY HILLS HEARD ITS NICEEEE.I'LL NEVER STOP PLAYING STILL LEARNING AND THATS A GOOD THING. AT SOME POINT PLAN ON RETURNING TO VISIT MY SON IN COLORADO NOT ONLY TO SKI BUT TO BEAT HIM IN A ROUND OR TWO.

me and some friends were hangin out at my course which is in a park about 7-8yrs ago. stupidly sittin next to one of the baskets chillin. and of course we get the "hey can ya move so i can shoot?" talked with the guys for a while about the sport and kinda stored it in the back of my mind for a while.
after hurricane katrina i moved to gulf shores,al and picked up kiteboarding while workin for a communitaions company. well work gets slow i got laid-off and decided to move back to new orleans. and since we don't have beachs i needed an outdoor activity. so i started walkin around acadmey one day to find hacky and found the DG section. figured "hey, lets give it a shot, i can't be anyworse than i am at ball golf." bought a cheeta n a birdie. went out to the course n had no clue how the course was laid out. it's prob a good thing no oneelse was there cause i play the course backwards n sideways lol

MY SON CAME HOME FOR A VISIT IN JUNE 2009. ONE MORNING DURRING BREAKFAST HE ASKED ME TO PLAY DISC GOLF. AFTER SOME PURSCUATION I SAID OK. WE WENT TO A COURSE IN UPSTATE NY, HYZER CREEK...

If Hyzer Creek was your first course I'm impressed you stuck with it. I've certainly met people who played their first round at a very difficult course like Maple Hill (Mass) and got turned off from the game.

A bunch of my friends have been disc golfing for years now. In 2007 they finally persuaded me to come along with them on a trip to Evansville. I was actually sick and felt horrible, but I had a good time. The weather was nice and warm (for April) and the beer went down great! I enjoyed being in the great outdoors. For most of that year I considered it a way to just get exercise. I played casually throughout 2007. In 2008 I played in three tournaments and finished last in all three. I was laid off in February of 2009 and have been practicing nearly every day since. I played in a tournament in September and I didn't finish last or second last! I have been doing the Mark Ellis putting clinic (I have 9 days left) and then it's on to the Pumpkin Shootout. My goal is to simply cash!

I started playing towards the end of my Junior year in high school. Some of my friends were going out to play so I went out to the play it again sports and picked up a roc and headed on out. Haven't stopped playing since, except the occasional few month breaks in the winter. I might add it was also the first time I walked without a boot on my left foot from when I broke it from throwing discus in the rain.

Played awhile back before my sisters wedding with a group of guys going to the wedding. Knew there was a course near my house but never went. Then we started playing in PE and i went to scheels and bought the innova starter kit and played stuck with it playing consistantly every summer. 5 1/2 years later still at it.

Back in 2000 i was going to college at University of Cincinnati and one of my roommates was big into disc golf. He invited me to play one day, and I have a good time (even though I was terrible). I ended up playing 4-5 a week for about year. Then I transferred to a school in Indiana and stopped playing.

I had all but forgotten about disc golf until September of this year when I went boack home to visit my parents and my brother told me that he had started to play disc golf. We went and played a round at Griggs Reservoir Park in Columbus and since then my interest in the sport has been revived. I found this site and started reading everything I could on the forum, started watching a bunch of technique videos on youtube, and bought some discs. I look forward to playing this sport for a long time to come.

I grew up in a town that has a pretty well known park, Wildwood in Ottumwa, Iowa. I always wanted to go play, even bought a couple discs, but I just never did. Moved to Ft Worth and a coworker took me out to play Z-boaz in 2000. I loved it, but I was working so much, that I just never had the time. Finally when I moved to Myrtle Beach in 2004, at the time, it was a town of 1 course. Tuplelo Bay. Some friends I met had just started playing, and asked if I'd heard of it. Of course! They took me out, and that's when I said, I will make time to play Disc Golf! Ironically, I'm the only one in that group of friends that still plays it! Let alone, takes it seriously!

I was 15 or 16 and one of my friends mentioned one day that his brother had taken him "frisbee golfing" and that we should all go. I mentioned that I had should have a few "frisbees" around my garage somewhere, and I was informed that we needed new special "frisbees". So we went out and each got one (a 150 class champ valk for me) and headed out to Eagle Ridge in Oswego. From that day on we were hooked.

In 1994 a then new neigbor got me out to play a little course,sahm park in Indianapolis. He started playing in college. The second time we played sahm I ran into a old "work friend" (who I haven't seen in two years)and since then we have been playing every chance we can.

I'll start as early as I can remember...

When I was a young lad around..92? (age 8...this may be BS but we'll act like it's fact) My dad brought home 2 Firsbee's marked with his company logo: The Gleason Works, he was a machinist at the time. Anyway, these discs were very similar to today's Ultimate discs. I loved those stupid things and would throw them all over. I eventually bought a bright green disc that was rather different in shape (maybe like a groove or a Banger GT but flatter) and flew a lot faster but didn't hang in the air as much.

I would spend hours just throwing them at things, trying to hit the box on the backboard of my basketball hoop. Try to hit trees from far away, throw for distance (shots marked off with little orange sports cones and all!) I had a lot of other sports and things going on (lots of bike riding) but I always enjoyed discs.

Years later I got a bulldog and discs were sort of a touchy subject. Bulldogs are the exact opposite of what would make a good disc dog...Labs I think have a very soft bite, they won't but holes in a disc and can be trained well. Bulldogs know ONE game this thing in my mouth is mine, good F***ing luck getting it back. So we'd play with discs around here and keep her slow butt running. If she got the disc your best chance was to do something else and hope she followed. She was a good dog :)

I moved to the "city" (AKA in town, not out in the sticks..) and played Lacrosse and didn't do much with discs of any sort. Over the next several years disc toys fell into more specific categories, nobody made random discs anymore. There were Ultimate discs, really light Frisbees (used to Double Disc court eventually) and weird flying toys by Aerobie. I bought a couple Ultimate discs.

I work overnights and we used to have 2 servers on all night. This was a pretty sweet deal because we never had a problem being too busy, and as soon as things slowed down the two of us could clean up really fast and had a lot of extra time to goof off and do stuff. During that first winter we played a lot of card games.

As spring rolled around we started getting anxious to get outside, but it was still too cold yet, we introduced a new product (our restaurant being a test store for the company) and it was TERRIBLE. They were supposed to be like pancakes meet crepes. I called them floppy frisbees. To prove my point we spent an entire shift tossing one of the damn things across the store. We got pretty good at avoiding lights and curving around corners and such. I decided I'd bring in a disc the next day.

For the next year roughly we spent HOURS a night just tossing an Ultimate disc around. We also dabbled in Aerobie rings and even one of those like 3' diameter hula hoop like discs. We had a lot of fun and played just about every game you can think of. Eventually we tried to hit light poles from a specific cement pad on the sidewalk.

Somewhere around 5 years before the aforementioned disc tossing summer (summer of 08 btw) I helped a buddy of mine move, and I found all these discs in his trunk. They were mostly Millennium discs but he told me they were for disc golf and he'd played with friends in Texas and we should totally play sometime. I did a tiny amount of research on the subject and got distracted by girls, computers, cars, music and whatever else at the time. He never did get back to the subject of disc golf until I brought the idea up to him about 2 months ago..

6 months before present day: I missed playing with discs at work. I had dabbled in a few other areas of interest without as much fun or opportunity to play (I've got more boardgames than you'd know what to do with...) so I on a whim looked up disc golf. I ended up on a Discraft site reading about good discs for beginners. They said, get a Buzzz. I looked at Amazon for it and found the Discraft Starter Kit. I added it to my wishlist and didn't buy it.

2-3 months later I find this newspaper article while bored an hour before leaving work:

4049251469_f77a92b36b.jpg

I took a picture on my phone so I wouldn't lose it and decided to buy the disc set when I had the money.

I ordered the set on a Thursday and over the weekend we hung out with my buddy that had played disc golf in other states before. I asked him if he'd heard about the Naples course, and if he's like to play sometime, as I'd just ordered some discs.

He laughed out loud. A buddy of his at work had just gotten in to disc golf and was trying to get the guys at the office to play and they'd decided to play THIS UPCOMING WEEK! He asked if I'd like to join and I was excited to go!

Come the day of the game I still didn't have my discs and I wanted to throw something of my own in case I lost it, but also because I didn't want to have to learn a new disc when I got mine. So I stopped at a local Dick's to buy 1 (ONE!) disc...I walked out with an Innova starter set...oops.

I played that day and LOVED the game. Just LOVED it. The next day I got my Discraft set and I talked my dad into going to play the new Naples course the day after. I bought a weird disc (Quest AT T-bone) for myself and my dad like a Lightning disc they had and he used that to play for the day.

Since then I've got like...50 discs. A portable basket (the InStep one) 2 starter bags 1 FADE tourney bag, quad shocks birdie bag blah blah blah.

I'm the @$$hole with more gear than he has skill, I'll admit it. But I do use my stuff and I am learning, and I use my extra stuff to teach people how to play and to sucker friends and family into the game.

I think a large part of it is that I'm excited to have more than one choice in discs again. Ultimate disc selection is do I want the blue hotstamp or the red? I love the freedom of choice...so I choose a lot of stuff :)

\/\/

I'm the @$$hole with more gear than he has skill, I'll admit it. But I do use my stuff and I am learning, and I use my extra stuff to teach people how to play and to sucker friends and family into the game.

me too. :D I love it though.

Some friends at the university of oregon got me to come out to westmoreland park and start throwing dx vipers and cyclones and such with them. I was hooked instantly. We played $5 doubles all the time and had a blast. I distinctly remember going up to milo mciver on a little DG roadie and having a great time. By the time I moved to california, the sport had taken off and I was playing as much as I could at berkeley and dela.

We started a new chapter in our history this weekend by playing our first sanctioned tourney.

I have played better but I ended up throwing my average at the course so while my rating is going to be sad (low 8s) I am happy that I kept my head in the game and didn't end up throwing 10 over my average. It also helped that my first card had 2 guys that were significantly better and 1 that was significantly worse than me so even when I shanked I could think, well, I am beating that dude so I am not bottom!

I ended up 9th of 13.

My wife also played and finished 2nd of 2 in her div. She played against Gabriella Gray, 11yo junior girls world champ. My wife did pretty poorly but this course either loved or hated her...she could run the gammut between 72 and 94 strokes any given round. The important part is we both had a blast and know we can do a little better at our home course tourney coming up in a couple weeks...if not...so what, it will be tons of fun.

We got to see little Gabriella launch a boss through the woods about 280' and that was after being stopped by a tree (good thing, the hole was 270 something) but I swear that thing would've went 400'. She is a really cool girl too, I ended up on their card for round 2 because her dad was competing in intermediate and was on the top card I think. It was nice not having the pressure of seeing the other rec scores and it was like just playing a round with my wife, which I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not, but I did ok.

So seriously, even if you suck like us, get out and throw a tourney, it really is a great time.

Last edited: