• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your disc golf history?

me too. :D I love it though.

We gotta stick together man :)

I think the difference is if you know how to still play the game. I'm not carrying a huk sit and hukbrella with my huk hat and huk shirt...

But I did buy a FADE tourney bag with quads, and I do have a ton of discs and I do have a basket etc.

But I am willing to throw a round with 1 discs as much as anybody else. Just my disc probably won't be DX plastic...but it probably will have belonged to somebody else on this site at one time or another. I'm thrifty..

\/\/

A friend of mine heard about this new sport and there was a good course in Roseville MN. This was in 1980. I was hooked the first time. The discs are much better now.

A friend of mine heard about this new sport and there was a good course in Roseville MN. This was in 1980. I was hooked the first time. The discs are much better now.

Its a shame the 10 years I spent in MN I didnt know about disc golf. Waht a great sport and some pretty awesome courses int that city. I mean like 40 courses within the metro area would have been incredible!!!!

Was the course you are talking about Acorn Park?

i had just moved to columbus in '99 to begin college, met some new freinds who were big on the game at the time. they brought me along in the spring of '00 and i fell in love. within the next year i was whippin up on all of them.

Oh and btw camgolfer, love the greenman avatar =)

O.K. I think DGCR has enough new members to get this going again. Anyone?

Almost 6 years ago, a friend of mine took me out to OG. I borrowed a couple discs from him and we played several times over a month and then I decide to get my own plastic.

i used to skateboard as my anti hockey activity, as hockey was my main concern. I was injured from either skating or hockey, and couldnt go skate that particular day. so my buddy says his dad is a local disc pro, and he has discs for us to use. besides that, it was a place outside where we could go get faded. we walked to Shorewood Park which was several blocks away and BAM! now im a plastic junky. end of a beautiful, endless story.

As a student at the University of Florida (Mid-80's) I would play Golf on the campus course for $5 a round. When the closed the course for about 6 months for repairs and stuff a friend suggested I play "Frisbee Golf".

I thought he was crazy.

A few months later I was at Cocoa Beach and stopped by Ron Jon's and ended up buying a large beach frisbee and played my first round at Northside Park in Gainesville.

All the time at Florida I just used my beach frisbee until I moved back to Orlando a few miles from Gordon Bennett Park and that's when I met Bob Lewis. He was the local pro and had built the course there. He was sitting in the back of his van selling discs.

I bought my first Disc Golf plastic from him, a Innova XD (Which I still have) I also bought a Cobra.

Over the next few years I would get better and buy a few new discs eventually entering tourneys. I never joined the PDGA it never seemed like I would need to. I knew I would never be a pro and I didn't enter enough events to mass any points and you didn't get penalized $10 in the Am division at tourneys like they do now. If I had joined back then my number probably would have been around 5000.

Luckily when I entered Western Kentucky the had a course on campus and 3 other courses in town. I have family in Nashville and surprisingly my cousin John had been playing for a few years and we started traveling all over hitting as many courses as we could.

I graduated and moved back to Orlando and kept on playing. In 2000 I moved to Virginia and played for a few years but around 2002 I just stopped playing. I don't know why, I just wasn't in to it any more.

Last April I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and one of the things I had to do was start exercising more. I began walking and got up to about 3-5 miles a day.

This diabetes thing completely changed everything. I quit my 2 1/2 pack a day habit. Dropped Dr Pepper the day I was diagnosed and began to eat healthy. Practically vegetarian.

Over the winter I put on almost all the weight I had lost partly due to the not smoking anymore.

I was getting bored with walking and cleaning out the shed I found my Mach III. So I decided if I have to walk I might as well get back in to disc golf and have fun (or at least be aggravated) while I exercise. I dug the disc golf back out of the closet, set the basket up in the back yard and started going to the local courses.

The old DX plastic was so brittle I cracked 2 of them the first round I played. My arm, back legs & knees were extremely sore after that first round. I don't remember it hurting that much 20 years ago.

After doing some research on-line I figured out what I needed t get from the all new kinds of discs out there. I have gone back to basics on my drives to try and keep from wearing out my body and practice in the back yard on my putting every chance I get.

In the last month back playing I can play 18 without being too burned up. I did play 27 last Saturday.

Hopefully by the end of Summer I will have worked off some of this weight and improved enough so I can get back to Par golf.

My brother introduced me to the sport of disc golf. First time i played was on a course. I was terrible so I would play in my yard about 1 acre of land and throw the disc to a specific tree and hit it. I finally got good so I went to courses more often.

This thread has been covered under multiple other titles. Where is Prerube?

this is a resurrection from 2009. Deal with it.

My brother used to play a lot a while back, so I bought some discs and played with him. Kinda liked it, wasn't really that into it.

Couple years later, we both went again, and I got hooked massively.

some of my buddies used to go do it when they were 'not low' so that was the only place i could meet up with them after school. They have long since quit playing, but im still addicted... to the discing, not the being 'not low.'

i played a couple times, then was given a proper introduction by a top 20 player. after caddying for him a couple times and seeing what is possible, i've been hooked ever since

i started throwing lids with my brother (he was 10 yrs older) in the late 80's and early 90's.....i remember in his room one day(around 92') i found this weird Frisbee ....it was white and had a sweet looking stamp of a scorpion....thats when i asked about it and first heard of disc golf.....we continued throwing lids and didnt play any disc golf together until 2005 when we were in baton rouge, LA.....we were bored after working and were walking around a local sporting goods store and noticed the rack of discs....we both bought a driver and putter and went asking around were the closest disc golf course was....highland road park DGC....needless to say we played almost everyday for the 3 years we were in Louisiana.....now almost 6 yrs have passed...still discin!!!........

This thread has been covered under multiple other titles. Where is Prerube?

I swear I remember sharing this before, but I'm pretty sure it was last year.

My first course played was Flip City. :D :clap: Moved back home to Grand Rapids, MI. :\ :|

A friend asked me one day if I wanted to play some disc golf. I said "Sure, but where??". "Duh, Flip City", he says. Little did I know I was living within 30 minutes from Flip for a couple of years! :doh:

He gave me a Z Avenger SS (lost at Flip many months later) and it was all downhill from there.

When I was a kid, our neighborhood pool had an object Frisbee golf course and we played for hours. Some years later we discovered the disc golf course at Calvert Road and played that with Frisbees. One of my friends started cheating: he ditched the Frisbees and started playing with Innova's latest high-speed driver -- the Aviar.

Yeah, that was quite a few years ago.

I frittered away the next couple of decades playing other sports - water polo, basketball, and volleyball, mostly - but still played disc golf once a year or so with my childhood friends. We had an annual "disc golf across Maryland" weekend and played every course in the state. I had a 150 DX Raven and a 175 Birdie. The Raven was eventually replaced by a 150 Champion Sidewinder.

About three years ago, after damaging various body parts playing other sports, I started playing disc golf regularly. With little luck, an ice pack, and regular doses of ibuprofen, I hope to continue playing disc golf for many years to come.

in high school we started playing in big groups of (surely annoying) noobs. then for about 6 years i played only 2-5 times a year. then for the past 2 years i have been playing on average more than one round every single day.

Dude named Sideshow Bob from Phi Gamma Delta took me along to Grand Woods Park one beautiful summer day in 1995.

One week later I owned a bag and three discs. (#1 Slice, DX Scorpion & DX Panther, IIRC)

I still have the bag, too.

Thanks Bob, wherever you are.....

"after damaging various body parts playing other sports, I started playing disc golf regularly. With little luck, an ice pack, and regular doses of ibuprofen, I hope to continue playing disc golf for many years to come. "

Isnt that the frickin truth. I skipped the IB and went straight to the doc for muscle relaxers and pain killers... The old injuries sealed the deal.

Met a guy in jail, became prettty good buddies after we got out. Had nothing to do one day so we grabbed a couple of beers and went to the park.

Day 1 played a full round at Cameron Park in Waco, TX
Day 2 played a round with the boss at the time and met a guy who could throw 600'. That was eye opening.
Day 5 got my first ace prob 8th round ever.
Day 15 started a website selling discs. www.quazit.com
Day 65 realized how many discs and small of a market it was. We are a very picky bunch.
Two year anniversary today!!! Sitting on DGCR @ 3am for the 500th trolling threads and reading old ones... lol Will be waking up early to go play the first course I played for the 500+ time before the wife has to go to work.

Last edited:

Latest posts