• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your type?

Variety is what it's all about

Give me a course with a bit of everything!!
Make it scenic - give me something to enjoy - even if I suck.:cool:

Plenty of elevation changes, with some holes flat. Mostly wooded, with some brush, so it's requires some degree of control to score well with a fairway that's well maintained. A drive that's a just bit off the mark shouldn't take 10 minutes to find in waist-high grass.:mad:

Typical hole length about 250 to 350 ft, with a reasonable ace run or two, but at least a few long open shots that invite you to bomb it - just to get yer ya ya's out. A few holes where wind comes into play just to see how well you handle that. A shot over some water, but not one where you have to throw more than 150 ft to clear. This gives even kids and shorter arms a chance to be "daring" and greatly reduces the chances of plastic ending up in the water (can't be good for the environment, even if people fish them out).

Fairways should mix up dog-legs left, right, straight shots, with a few holes favoring overhead throws (Maybe even couple of tight tunnnel shots that make an overhead a poor shot choice). Make me choose the right disc and release for that hole - make me pay for choosing/executing poorly.:p

Concrete pads with hole length indicated, and make it obvious where the next tee pad is.:confused:

Admittedly, I play mostly in Michigan, but the closest I've seen to this is either Beast or Flip-City. Although, I don't recall any water coming in play, and navigating was a bit tough in a few spots (but only a few). But boy, do those courses pack a lot of variety into 24 holes.

I think that pretty much covers it. Obviously, course designers have to work with the land available. Not every place has hills, water, woods, etc., so I can appreciate how tough it must be to design a good course if turf you gotta work with is somewhat "one-dimensional." I would cite the "Ponds of Lakeshore" as a great example of how to make the most of what you have to work with - very cleverly laid out to make use what's already there.

P.S. BONUS POINTS FOR A GREAT SPORTS BAR OR PIZZA JOINT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE PARKING LOT!!!!:D

Last edited:
What is your favorite type of course? Some prefer wide open flat courses, while others enjoy the steep hills or heavily wooded. Personally I enjoy courses that are heavily wooded, with tight fairways and average hole length of about 275 feet. Throw in a few hills and I will be more than happy. Trees must create challenging shots that force you to throw with skill and precision and possibly a little luck to reach par or less. Generally I don't prefer water hazards on the course unless they are a must and add substance to a hole, rather than just something to be worried about losing a disc. I suppose how you play and the skill at which you play will factor into what types of courses you enjoy. Share your thoughts.

It sounds like you would enjoy Highland Park in IL quite a bit.

For me, I like a good mix of let em rip and tightly wooded and good elevation changes. woods are fun holes, I just hate when the underbrush is so thick that anything off the fairway means your hunting for a disc. I also hate when courses place the pins behind a stand of tees making long putts impossible.

but above all, give me variety. left/right, open/tight, long/short, throw up/down, safe holes/risky holes. basically, give me everything and I'll be happy.

There is no thrill like throwing over water! The main reason I travel my state is to get a variety of what different courses have to offer.

If I'm not forced to throw backhand, forehand, t-hawks, thumbers, skippers, rollers, hyzers, anhyzers, over water, around/through trees/brush, uphill, downhill, layups, and bombs all in one round it wont make my favorite list.

(ps if i missed something add it in there then reread)

I like a bit of everything (duh) but not all courses/land have that... Having said that, I prefer wooded courses... (look at my played list, Valpo>highland/chann are my top 3) I don't hate water, AS LONG AS THERE ARE APPROPRIATE TEES (ie... <250 so my noodle arm has a prayer). I don't hate open courses either though, but there needs to be balance... one thing I do HATE is repetitivness (sp? probably) I loved the oaks the first 10 times I played it, now that it's closer to 100, there are some really boring/repeat holes that could go....

... argh, this is going to force me to write some more reviews (preliminary at least)

Like many of you I too appreciate a good deal of variety in a course. I like there to be some tight "technical" holes, some long just bomb it holes, some with good risk versus reward shots and some holes that can be played a couple of different ways. For these reasons I really like courses that have multiple tees and multiple baskets on each hole (Giles Run, VA is a great example).

Don't tell me I'm the ONLY one out there who appreciates a goood burger or pizza after a round on a great course??

I like elevation changes and obstacles. My favorite course causes you throw over wooded sink holes and has many ridges to throw over or onto.

I like Heavly wooded courses with lots of elevation change. Some big downhill bombs, some uphill rips. Typicly up deep in the mountans, well away from other peoples interference. I like to have big views. I like a mix of hole length, some shorties that can be birdied or aced, but only with a well placed shot. Some long holes are also nice to have, but only if they have some obsticles as well, so its not just a big arm contest, and an accurate thrower can still be rewarded even if they cant throw a country mile.

I like Heavly wooded courses with lots of elevation change. Some big downhill bombs, some uphill rips. Typicly up deep in the mountans, well away from other peoples interference. I like to have big views. I like a mix of hole length, some shorties that can be birdied or aced, but only with a well placed shot. Some long holes are also nice to have, but only if they have some obsticles as well, so its not just a big arm contest, and an accurate thrower can still be rewarded even if they cant throw a country mile.

What he said...

That's why I like Beaver Ranch in Conifer CO.

every course in it's own way is special......I love all courses simply for the fact there courses.....each one played or unplayed will always hold a place in my heart.......:D

I have to agree!!! :D For me, any course is better then no course. :)

Latest posts