• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When throwing uphill into a strong headwind, should you still use an understable disc

hawkeye007

Or, should you use an overstable one? This can apply to either a forehand or backhand. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

I'd say a step up in stability, something that is stable like Teebird or PD, but not overstable like a Firebird.

I'd also kind of check your expectations and try not to kill the shot or expect too much distance...a little nose up/exposed flight plate will demolish your shot really bad too. Throw something wind resistant and kind of fast-ish, PD sounds perfect depending on your arm speed. Just don't overdo it as wind will amplify your mistakes really bad, which is even worse than just being 30' shorter than you wanted.

I don't know that I've ever encountered this situation, thankfully. At least not with a strong headwind. I guess the hill kinda acts as a shield. I agree: check your expectations. But yeah, increase overstability. A 2-3 step up in speed wouldn't hurt either.

On a side note, I really hate headwinds when I need to throw over trees and other obstacles. I already have enough problems getting nose angle right consistently, and headwinds tend to make my throws look really stupid in those situations.

I'd give a lighter disc but still some over stability a try. I have a light destroyer that has shaved strokes off my game in certain conditions.

I'd say a step up in stability, something that is stable like Teebird or PD, but not overstable like a Firebird.

Interesting, I've never thrown one but at Innova's website they specifically recommend the Firebird: "works extremely well into a head wind", "our most popular upwind distance driver". Doesn't say anything about hills though.

Interesting, I've never thrown one but at Innova's website they specifically recommend the Firebird: "works extremely well into a head wind", "our most popular upwind distance driver". Doesn't say anything about hills though.
You lose speed quicker throwing uphill against gravity, so everything acts more overstable than normal.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts. I suppose the same could be said for throwing more of a stable disc into a tailwind going downhill.

Firebirds essentially completely ignore wind...well wind that doesn't get underneath of them. But they are certainly not a distance driver even though they are a "speed 9 distance driver". Most players will throw a Firebird in the same distance range as their midrange discs since they are incredibly overstable and have very little glide. They are a necessary disc in the bag, but used more for placement shots and other trick shots that need a crazy overstable disc.

Firebirds essentially completely ignore wind...well wind that doesn't get underneath of them. But they are certainly not a distance driver even though they are a "speed 9 distance driver". Most players will throw a Firebird in the same distance range as their midrange discs since they are incredibly overstable and have very little glide. They are a necessary disc in the bag, but used more for placement shots and other trick shots that need a crazy overstable disc.

My FBs touch the lower end of my fairway distance, but I'm giving them all sorts of OAT on a FH to get them there. Still go further than my mids. BH is another story.

Back on topic though, I've faced headwind/uphill case before and it also had to be straight for 150' before you could have any side to side movemwnt greater than 10'. I usually threw an OS mid, but if I had the room, I'd probably throw either a PD or my beefy (no turn BH) Destroyer.

I have a hole like this at my local course. Most of the time there is a stiff right to left breeze but in higher wind conditions it turns into a straight headwind. In headwind conditions I use the same disc but move my line 15 feet or so to the left and let the wind turn my disc over. If i throw it correctly I get the same result.

I think it depends on the ability of the player. Your description perfectly describes my Firebird ability. But my buddy with a tremendous forehand can get crazy distance with a Firebird FH throw.

I think it depends on the ability of the player. Your description perfectly describes my Firebird ability. But my buddy with a tremendous forehand can get crazy distance with a Firebird FH throw.

Yeah I'm mostly describing for someone who is just seeing that Innova lists it as their preferred headwind disc, that it will not be a distance driver for the wind. Instead it's a consistent placement driver for wind with a ton of stability.

There's a difference between a flat BH shot with a Firebird which is likely in midrange distance for most players and ignores any wind, and a FH flex shot that will get a strong FH thrower reasonable distance, since Firebirds respond well to high velocity and can flex out of nearly any angle.

Yeah I'm mostly describing for someone who is just seeing that Innova lists it as their preferred headwind disc, that it will not be a distance driver for the wind. Instead it's a consistent placement driver for wind with a ton of stability.

There's a difference between a flat BH shot with a Firebird which is likely in midrange distance for most players and ignores any wind, and a FH flex shot that will get a strong FH thrower reasonable distance, since Firebirds respond well to high velocity and can flex out of nearly any angle.

I have actually never thrown my FB BH. My FH ing buddy gave it to me when he tried to teach me proper FH technique and told me "This is your FH disc". So that's all I use it for.

I have actually never thrown my FB BH. My FH ing buddy gave it to me when he tried to teach me proper FH technique and told me "This is your FH disc". So that's all I use it for.

Makes some sense, but there are plenty of situations where a Firebird can be a weapon thrown backhand. And overhand.

I have an FL for shots like these. Otherwise, I go up in speed. Teebird ---> Thunderbird. If it's a particularly strong headwind, I'll play the wind and let the disc turn to my target.

It really depends on the distance, the hill and the wind. Uphill and downhill throws with big wind is really tough. I'm usually trying to do a combination of things to mitigate the wind though- and always trying to mentally work out a better "list" to keep in my head. This list is for big wind, not anything in the breeze category fwiw.

First- KEEP IT LOW. One degree too much of nose up for your selected disc and it'll flip over and glide to the moon. Don't do that.

Second- Throw the most overstable disc you're comfortable making the shot with so it's OS torque can serve as the seatbelt of sorts in case of an accidental error in the throw. It's better to have the disc dump fade early than get turned over by wind and glide to Mars.

Third- BE WILLING TO LAY UP. Sometimes your ideal throw will yield such a low percentage it's all but impossible. Don't leave yourself an exponentially worse comebacker or brutal roll away/wind turnover to the moon for a .0000000001% chance of glory. Figure out what you can actually do and be ok with that reality.

Finally- Worst case scenarios call for flipping the putter over and tossing it upside down. The wind won't throw it unless you're being blown over, and it's your best shot at staying under control even if it's a shorter throw than you'd like to make. I've even done some pretty long windy upshots with it flipped, and it worked way better than expected... But it will fly like a brick with an anchor tied to it so practice a bit before you need it.

It is a hell of a variable but wind can actually help you in a competitive setting- only if you're factoring it correctly and making the right adjustments in strategy though. It hurts everyone, so try to be the guy it hurts the least! Stay safe out there!!

Latest posts