• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When to move up in tournaments?

Langston77

So I've been playing for about 6 months now. Last month I had my first 2 tourneys. My first one I played am3 and came in second to last with +18. The following one moved to am4 and placed first with +22. everytkme I play I can see myself getting better. Do I wait until my rating gets to 850 to start playing am3? I'm just not wanting to be called sandbagged so any advice with help.

Thank you.

So I've been playing for about 6 months now. Last month I had my first 2 tourneys. My first one I played am3 and came in second to last with +18. The following one moved to am4 and placed first with +22. everytkme I play I can see myself getting better. Do I wait until my rating gets to 850 to start playing am3? I'm just not wanting to be called sandbagged so any advice with help.

Thank you.

What are the ratings of the other players in MA4? In MA3?

While the PDGA guidelines say one thing, sometimes the local scene reflects something different. If everyone else in the area with a rating similar to yours is in MA4, then by all means, stay there. If they're all in MA3, maybe you're better off moving up there with them. Go where your closest peers are, at least until you get to MA1. Then you're a bit more justified in playing there until your rating suggests you're ready to make the big jump.

Play where you feel comfortable and where your rating allows you to play. If you are playing in the correct division per your rating and people want to call you a bagger that's their problem. If you think you'll be competitive in AM 3 and you want to give it another shot, by all means play AM 3.

I have moved up twice for different reasons.

The move from intermediate to advanced was because I see disc golf as an actual athletic pursuit that I want to be good at and improve. Most of the people I was playing with saw it more as a social event and would drink and smoke often during rounds and not observe rules. It made it harder for me to have a good time.

So I went to advanced, where at least most players have some amount of skill and try hard.

I have moved to playing mostly open, even though I didn't win a ton of advanced event because I want to be the best I can be. And with the work I put into this game, I think the potential is there to be one of the best in my area. And there is no way to know that until you try.

I said all that to say this; play where you have the most fun, but don't be afraid to push yourself.

When you ask the question out loud or on the internet...

It's time to move up.

There's no hard answer provided your rating is appropriate. To me, it's best to move from the lowest Am divisions when you can reasonably compete in the next higher one. 'Reasonably compete' does not necessarily mean make the cash line. And a win in MA3 or MA4 doesn't necessarily mean it's time to move up as those divisions have the most erratic changes as far as quality of competition.

Whenever you want to.

What others might think ("sandbagger") is pretty weak.

I don't think it'd feel any better to win am4 (sounds weird even saying that) than place mediocre in am3 or 2. Unless you want a little plastic trophy of a gold guy chucking a frisbee. But I don't play many tournaments, I just play for fun instead.

Make sense?

You're still very new. Have fun. You should probably start in Rec, novice is pretty much for youth and girls isn't it? (I don't mean that to come off wrong, just the only people I've seen play novice.)

Last edited:
No, youth and women usually play in their own divisions.

OP, play whichever division you like, detractors be damned.

I would suggest bouncing around between am3 and am4 for the time being. If it is a course you are familiar with play am3, if it is a large field play am4. Sooner or later you will realize which is the right division, but that will come with a few more tournaments under your belt.

I say play in a division your rating allows, get a bunch of wins under your belt, because tournaments are expensive and it's fun to win! Then...of course challenge yourself more and move up as your rating dictates. Obviously for ams, the division we all want to be competitive in is Advanced, but nothing wrong with working your way up from rec. My biggest problem is.. I have a low rating but I'm perfectly capable of busting out a high rated round once in a while...and that's when the chants of "bagger" come. I'm like dude...I'm old enough to be your dad, and sometimes your grandpa! lol..

I'd say play your rating until you feel like it's time to move up. My rating has me firmly in MA3, but I'm going to play MA2 this year unless the entry fee for MA3 is $10 cheaper or more because I'm tired of the MA3 attitude and want to play in a slightly more competitive division. But really, as long as your rating will let you play in the division, play whichever is comfortable for you

Competitiveness of divisions is largely regional. In areas where Novice is offered, it seems Rec is fairly competitive.

#LocalAnectdotalEvidence

If you don't care about the prizes you receive for placing in am4, play in the next division up. The fastest way to get better is to play with better players and learn from them.

Disclaimer: this advise is given by a guy that doesn't play in tournaments.

My personal belief is that playing up in tournaments and getting your arse handed to you is not really much of a learning experience- particularly when playing up to REC or INT. Playing practice rounds with better players will indeed help you though. Tournament play is where you find out how much you have actually learned. There is also something to be said for experiencing the pressure of playing in the lead group regardless of division.

If you're gonna try moving up, do it at a smaller event. You move up in a big tournament, you just feel like you got buried (unless you just really rock it that day). Smaller events will tend to have a (slightly) more relaxed feel to them. That's a good way to try moving up. Maybe you end up in different divisions in different events, and move around. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree with the majority of the comments in here, on both sides of the fence. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda of situation.

In echoing the majority here - when you have to (per rating) or YOU feel comfortable moving up. Please do yourself a favor and don't move up only because of what others say. In anything but open if you win SOMEONE will call you a bagger (or think it at least) regardless of any past performances. If everyone moved up when we were called a bagger there would be no ams left.

Now - when is it right for you? That is the tough question as everyone has different goals and internal motivations. For me I prefer to play where I can be competitive. I have played "up" in past tourneys (due to lack of my division in a large tourney I wanted to play regardless of division). Granted I knew going in I likely wouldn't cash and was fine with that. What I didn't expect was the experience of playing 2 rounds that truly didn't matter. I was so far out of cash that even with personal bests for both round I wouldn't make last cash. It all of a sudden went from a tourney round to a practice round and I really disliked it as I like to play with something on the line. Ever since then I refuse to play a tourney where I realistically expect to not be able to be competitive....even if it is fighting for last cash I want something on the line to fight for. I play tourneys for that feeling and love it. On the flip side, I've also heard guys with basically the same experience but they actually PREFER this as they don't care about the payout in plastic they don't need and just want the social experience. I don't get it personally, but to each his own.

Then there is the "play with better players, get better argument". While there is some merit to this I prefer to PRACTICE with better players and play tourneys with my equals. I can practice with great players whenever, but even if I move up a division after the first round I'll be playing with guys about my skill anyways and now with no pressure. I want that pressure practice. With that said, some folks are driven to catch the best and finishing bottom card once gives them the motivation to practice their butt off and it drives great improvement.

So there is my $.02. Just make that decision for yourself and not based on the opinions of others.

No, youth and women usually play in their own divisions.

OP, play whichever division you like, detractors be damned.

Not necessarily about youth playing in the age protected divisions. I am 863 rated, eligible for MJ2, and have only played in 2 tournaments - both in Rec, but I am now playing intermediate in a sanctioned league and don't see myself ever registering lower than MA2. I know someone who is 14, 848 rated and we moved up to intermediate at the same time