• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When to start playing tournaments?

If you're talking about A, B and C tier, it's the level of sanctioning by the PDGA with A being the highest of those. You're best starting with a C tier, it'll be less expensive and a more relaxed atmosphere and be more likely to have other people who are also trying their first tournament.

Roughly speaking, the tiers are (top to bottom)

Major (World Championship, etc.)
NT (National Tour)
A
B
C
Non-Sanctioned
Local (Minis, League, Doubles, whatever they're called).

VERY generally speaking
* The higher the tour, the higher the entry fee, the more players in attendance, the bigger the payout.
* B-tiers must give a players package of at least $10 to every Am who shows up. A-tiers, $25. None required by C-tiers, though they might also.
* If you play B-tier or C-tier and you're not a PDGA member, it's $10 extra.
* Very very generally speaking, lower tiers are less formal.

Virtually all tournaments offer Am divisions except NTs or Pro Championships. Most offer lower Am divisions (Recreational, sometimes Novice).

I'm beginning to understand now. Just trying to figure out a good tournament to start off with in 2010. Thanks for all of the information!

There's much more to weigh than the tiers.

If you know local tournament players, ask them for their recommendations.

If you have a course you particularly like, find out when a tournament is held there.

If you're looking at sanctioned tournaments, you can look up previous years' results on pdga.com and check out the attendance, and which divisions were offered. It'll give you at least an idea of what to expect.

I agree with gvan. You could just about do a tournament a week in the ATL and GA area. Look up discgolfatlanta.com.
Good luck!

I'm beginning to understand now. Just trying to figure out a good tournament to start off with in 2010. Thanks for all of the information!

I sent you a pm but just in case you don't see it...

I copied this from the ADGO board

Come to Perkerson Park this Sunday and play in the Perkerson Pandemonium III - 1/3/2010. It is a great course and this is a good group of guys. There will be Ametures like me all the way to Matt Dollar playing so it is perfect for all skill levels. If you liked the course you should sign up for the ice bowl that's coming up in February 7th.

Perkerson Pandemonium III - 1/3/2010

Perkerson Park Fall/Winter Sunday Monthly Events
This is the 3rd monthly event: Sunday January 3rd 2009
(Next Event: ITP Atlanta IceBowl, PDGA C-Tier, 2/7/2010)

Schedule
Registration/Check-in/CTPs: 8:00a - 9:00a
Players Meeting: 9:15a
1st Round Start: 9:30a
Lunch: 45 minutes
2nd Round Start: ~1:30p

Pro division = $22*
Am division = $12*
Rec division = $2*
($2 course reservation fee for all divisions)
* We had to raise the course fee as we are in the hole from the first two events

1st Round Pro/Am = Long Tee's
2nd Round Pro/Am = Short Tee's
Rec will play short tee's both rounds
Registered Player List here
We need baskets!!!!
Metal would be nice, but we won't turn away the fabric ones either!

**The sign up is for us to judge how many to expect for attendance.
***Please be sure yho think about bringing a lunch as there isn't much to choose from in the area... Subway (decent, but questionable sometimes), Wendy's & Yums (wings,and stuff, pretty decent). I've never ate at Wendy's and have only seen the DOT info-sign coming off the exit ramp.

You should be made to feel welcome at all tournaments. Initially, you will be what I call "added cash". The winning players will appreciate your contribution. Do some doubles or singles tournaments to get a feel for the pressure on a lower scale. ADGO website has a tab for "local action". These will be "cheap lessons" for you, plus it is a lot of fun.

Dive on in and play a tourney. I did my first (and only so far) one 3-4 months after I started, placed DFL, got a mini, a star Wraith, hot chocolate/kaluha/schnapps all morning and met some fine folk. Well worth the $10 entry fee.

Play an ice bowl if they have them in your area. Great way to get used to the tournament rules with out the hassel.I played my first ice bowl last year after only playing for a couple months. These are really laid back tourney's and you can learn a bunch from the better players that are there. I played one last weekend and going to play another on the 6th of february.

Basically it is a fund raiser tournament held in the winter months. Here in cincy they hold 3 of them with a certain amount of the entrance fee going to the charity. I believe here it is 5$ pluss they sell mulligans for a 1$ a piece and that also goes to the charity. It's real laid back tourney which give noobs like my self a chance to play in a tournament atmosphere with out the pressure. You get to meet many othe disc golfers and also get in some friendly competition.

Here is a write up of the one I just played in this past weekend. I ended up with a 118 which was 6 or 7 spots away from last place in the novice division. Shot a 62 on the first round and a 56 on the second round which I felt was not to bad seeing as I had not played in about 2 months.

I waited almost 3 years to play a tourney. A bit too long, but my first year was undirected and my game did not really progress. I would recommend playing as soon as you want to. As mentioned several times before, you will have a lot of fun. You have about an 85% chance of being in a group some pretty cool people (even if it takes them a few holes to warm up to you). Also, you will get some new plastic while playing the tournament (as opposed to only racking up discs from an online store). I would recommend that the first several tournaments you play be at a familiar course and one that you like - it adds to the enjoyment factor. I've only played 1 doubles, 1 monthly, and 1 ice bowl - so this is just my two cents.

An ice bowl is a disc golf tourney with the proceeds (or a portion of them) going to charity. Usually lots of fun.

So this is pretty much rehashing what was already said, but go play and have fun. I just started as well and played 3 tournaments last summer on the SNDG circuit. I did awful in the first 2 and pretty well in the 3rd. Even though I finished close to last in both of my first 2 I had a great time.

I've had really good experiences talking (and sometimes playing on mixed cards) with pros who are just really cool people willing to give you pointers if you ask. Also, if the tourney has Ring of Fire's you still definitely have a chance to walk away with prizes.

Depending on where you are in GA, there's an ice bowl and a summer tournament @ Trace State Park right outside of Tueplo, MS. I made the 8 hour drive from Baton Rouge and it was a beautiful course and a ton of fun. I'm definitely going again this summer.

play one whenever you feel comfortable with your game... try an am league if you have one in your area. play for par it will take you far

if you have leagues in your area that is a great way to start your ways towards a tournament. play with different people and still have the mentality of a tournament. plus it doesnt cost anywhere near as much. also during leagues people are more willing to help you get better.

I just started playing this summer as well and have only entered a few tournaments. Never been to a PDGA event but Southern Nationals are really fun. You'll meet a lot of people in your area that play and lots of people around your skill level. I don't know if this is true for all SNDG events but the ones in my area usually have a mixed first round, meaning each group has one pro, one advanced, and a couple ams. If you've never played with a really good pro or advanced player this will definately benefit you.

i havent played a tourney because the ones i see around me cost too much and im poor

if you have leagues in your area that is a great way to start your ways towards a tournament. play with different people and still have the mentality of a tournament. plus it doesnt cost anywhere near as much. also during leagues people are more willing to help you get better.

^^^^2nd this^^^^

I waited 2 years before playing my first tournament, and really regretted it. It's a great way to meet new people, and they're an absolute blast.

Latest posts