• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When will ESPN cover Disc Golf?

RustyStrings615

Par Member
I see Bowling, Volleyball, Bassfishing, Billiards, Lumberjacking.... yet no Disc Golf?...how about just a mention of the World Championships in the rundown...nothing ever.... I just don't understand it. Today they had a record-setting paper airplane toss as a Top Play...I admit it was pretty cool but c'mon man!

Get out the pitch forks!!! Lets all go down to the headquarters and chuck plastic at there building!!! Then maybe they will take some notice.

But was the airplane not shown in somewhat of a mocking tone. "Oh haha Dan, that is a good one"

Until they are willing to portray the sport just as they do football or golf and not a sad little fringe sport that they are helping out I see no need to be on ESPN.

I hear ya man, it all seems a little unfair. I think we are slowly but surely getting there just based on the growth disc golf has seen in recent years. Patience is a bitch.

Maybe if they held a world class tourney with some big money at a private course like Selah Ranch that would attract a large crowd and would need some gallery bleachers.

If DiscGolf.tv were serious and tried to start a cable channel and all the DG players seriously supported it then it would attract some interest.

For every fledgling sport that is on TV (ESPN or otherwise) there are plenty of others that are not. Horseshoes, Bocce, Darts, Ultimate Frisbee and many others, like Disc Golf, have very serious players, but no TV coverage.

Some sports only get coverage because of the Olympics. Would Curling ever make it to tv screens if it wasn't an Olympic sport? Doubtful.

But even that isn't enough. Show Jumping is my wife's specialty, it's an Olympic event, yet barely gets covered even in today's 24/7 super cable overload coverage.

Basically to get a sport on TV, there needs to be significant investment (monetary and time) as well as a dedicated person or group that is wholly dedicated to creating a product that will be entertaining to watch.

The UFC nearly folded before Zuffa took over and created a marketable product. Now it has taken off. In Disc Golf, Derek Hastings can't even pull together enough investment to see his documentary through to completion. We're lacking money and visionaries, disc golf on ESPN is a very long ways away.

Disc golf will air on ESPN (ESPN 9 the nueve to be exact) October 16, 2027 at 1:35 in the morning right after Late Night Robot Demolition Derby concludes. I bought a bottle of champagne a couple of years ago so I can pop it open and celebrate the occasion.

Don't quote on that though.

It must be on regional fox sports channels first, imho. Since the "four lettered network" is in the n.e. I can see SOME coverage of the vibram open making the network before anything.

For every fledgling sport that is on TV (ESPN or otherwise) there are plenty of others that are not. Horseshoes, Bocce, Darts, Ultimate Frisbee and many others, like Disc Golf, have very serious players, but no TV coverage.

Some sports only get coverage because of the Olympics. Would Curling ever make it to tv screens if it wasn't an Olympic sport? Doubtful.

But even that isn't enough. Show Jumping is my wife's specialty, it's an Olympic event, yet barely gets covered even in today's 24/7 super cable overload coverage.

Basically to get a sport on TV, there needs to be significant investment (monetary and time) as well as a dedicated person or group that is wholly dedicated to creating a product that will be entertaining to watch.

The UFC nearly folded before Zuffa took over and created a marketable product. Now it has taken off. In Disc Golf, Derek Hastings can't even pull together enough investment to see his documentary through to completion. We're lacking money and visionaries, disc golf on ESPN is a very long ways away.

^^^ All true. And curling is friggin awesome!!!:thmbup:

Find someone to foot the bill and it will be on there tomorrow. The reason bowling is on ESPN is because there are sponsors willing to pay the $$ for coverage -- same with all the rest. Lacking a big money sponsor, it won't happen in today's market.

If they'd done something when ESPN first started (which is another advantage pro bowling has), then it might be different.

Hopefully never.

I enjoy DG being a "fringe" sport. :shrugsmiley:

Horseshoes, Bocce, Darts, Ultimate Frisbee and many others, like Disc Golf, have very serious players, but no TV coverage.

I have seen all of these on TV somewhere. Usually one of the regional Fox Sports channels. I actually didn't know anything about Ultimate until I saw it on TV several years ago. Darts is (at least used to be) on Fox quite a bit. I have even seen Foosball on TV.

As much as I like poker, it's not a sport and espn covers the heck out of that. I've also seen Darts and Pool on. I think DG isn't on honestly for a few reasons:

1 - People still tend to think of it as a bunch of hippies throwing lids.
2 - It's a slow moving game, much like regular golf, with none of the financial backing of it. People will watch a golf tourney if there's a million dollars to the winner.
3 - Because at least good dg is played in fairly wooded areas, it's alot more difficult to cover. You need multiple cameras even more than regular golf.

Latest posts