• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When you were new, what helped your game improve?

Veritas

The people I am playing doubles with have been very kind and I am learning.

I was curious, are there any specific things you did that you think accelerated the quality of your skills? Besides just playing a lot?

I've said this before...but if I would have started out with much slower discs instead of buying into the hype of throwing "max distance drivers" I could have shaved at least 1.5 years off my learning curve and would probably be a much better player by now.

To not throw faster discs but instead practice hyzerflips, lots of putting on the backyard (2500+ putts registered in my little game my first winter) and plenty max power drives on the field, in the wind.

I just recently learned to throw slight anhyzers, after a year, from 2 hours on the soccer field. Use all your discs, in both head and tail winds, learn to commit to different release angles and your half way there.

In addition to the comments above, playing with people better than you - if that's at all possible and by the sounds of it from doubles it is :). Playing with people better than you when you first start out could be a bit of a wide category, but I mean people who are technically sound and able to offer usual advice on aspects of the game.

There are many great clinic videos on youtube if you know what to search for, look up feldberg on youtube he has good clinics especially putting. The sooner you develop proper form and technique the better you will become.

I second the high speed driver advice, avoid them. The fastest driver you should be throwing is a speed 9 until you can throw over 400ft.

Find a versatile mold, and stick with it, I threw Innova, then Lat64, Then MVP, then Legacy etc.. I finally stuck with MVP but the latest released driver is not going to make you better. Developing muscle memory with the flight of any given mold that you like over time will make you more consistent. Every major brand makes good discs, find what you like and stick with it and dont change. Teebird, Volt, Rival, Saint, whatever.

See if you can find local doubles leagues every week, its a fun way to have a little competition and test your skills, meet new people and playing with others that are more skilled will help you get better.

Most of all have fun, dont get too serious about the game. Enjoy the challenge and process, before you know it you will be looking back and will want to have good memories of having fun.

If you are serious about making quick progress, practice is the answer. And by that I don't mean playing more, I mean practicing more. Go to a field and just throw. Go to a basket (if you don't have one of your own) and putt. Don't play rounds, don't keep score, just focus on improving your skills.

All the other advice about throwing slow discs, checking out videos for technique, etc is good too, but none of it will be all that effective if all you do is go to the course to play rounds (alone or with other/better players).

I can't say it was any one thing, but when I got tired of sucking and wanted to improve, what helped me the most was/is:

Practice. - But you have to know what it is you're practicing. Just throwing the same bad habits over and over doesn't really do much good. Well, it could frustrate you enough to see the need for change I guess.

Playing with better players. - Not just guys that beat me, but those guys that look effortless and clean.

Taking the advice from the "how to build a bag" thread and sticking to it. I even did it with a 150 class set up for a few winter months. 150 class can really clean up your form!
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

Playing lots of solo rounds with nothing but a Comet and my putter. Some of the best practice you can do! Gets you off the field and in the real disc golf environment.

Watching tournament coverage. It can be fun to watch guys bomb, but I really honed in on guys like Barry Schultz, Bradley Williams, MJ and Big Jerm for his forehands. They look so effortless and that was what I was going for.

And nothing will get you to slow down and take it easy faster than playing rounds with a 162gr X-Comet and 160gr Aviar P&A and a 160gr DX Eagle! And I don't think there has been anything more satisfying than kicking my buddies a$$ with his full bag after he laughed at me for showing up with just those three discs!

Just some things that have worked for me.

Field work. And I don't mean just going to a field and working on form, though that is a good thing. I mean setting up some artificial shots to make and practice. If, for instance, you are having trouble making a dogleg right with a turnover, go to a park and find a tree/utility pole, street sign/whatever to set up that shot and just throw it. No ultimate target except to get around the obstacle to the right. Same for any shortcoming you see in your overall game. By all means work on form, distance helps a lot. But accuracy is arguably more important, especially once you are hitting 320' reliably. Practice those skip shots, hyzers, rollers, turnovers, 80' flex upshots, all of it. You might not need it every hole, but when you get to your lie and see the perfect turnover line and know you just threw that line 50 times last week, your confidence will be up, and you'll shave a stroke.

Read the posts about Technique & Strategy and Form Analysis/Critique to learn the concepts and common issues of throwing a disc. Watch all of the Instructional Videos on the Technique & Strategy Sticky https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328. Then, of course practice but more importantly, also video tape yourself so you can see what you are doing wrong or right.

I gotta agree with most sentiments here, Practice is definitely the most important thing. I've been playing disc golf for some years now and most of them were spent just hucking a disc with no rhyme or reason with some friends that pretty much did the same thing.

In the last year I've introduced myself to the MPO community and been watching tournament coverage and it has 100% changed the way I look at the sport. I've watched plenty of videos, asked for advice, gone out and practiced a few times and have played rounds when I can (father of 2 so I don't get out much). I started early this summer throwing max 250'-270'. Currently I am throwing 315'-340' with a Leopard.

Do some research, look up some basic techniques, practice them, find out what feels good for you too. Everyone can have an opinion on grips, points of release, etc...but the bottom line is every person is built differently. Advice someone gives you may work for them but it might not immediately translate to your play style. Take that advice and adapt it to what feels good. Although some advice circumvents this logic such as "disc down". Putters, mids, fairway drivers speed 8 or under. It will not only help your game since the disc is made for slower throws but it will also teach you how a disc is supposed to fly once you can start throwing at speed and nose down.

Good luck man, and just remember to be patient and practice. Scores don't mean a thing outside of tournaments.

As far as technique, learning to keep the nose down. Which goes back to all the practice advice before.

Going to a field and throwing for hours usually right after watching Dave Feldburg videos.

I went to doubles at my college and never stopped asking questions and trying to imitate the best player out there. I also would watch hours of videos and go out and practice each individual thing I was watching until It became habit. My form was the first thing that came together for me. Then I started worrying about what disc and how to play smartly... Well I'm still learning that one.

If your index finger is on the rim, curl it under for more of a power grip.

Low and flat -Ken Climo

Practice

Step 1: Expectations
Do not try and imitate the pros in any capacity. They throw the discs and weights they do because they have the arm speed and experience to work those molds. New players cannot make those molds perform the same way with their arm speed and experience.
It is fine to study their form, but don't expect you can throw the same discs with the same results.

Step 2: Acceptance
Ok, so you threw a perfect shot. As an AM, that is not uncommon. However, what separates AMs and Pros (in every sport) is the Pro's ability to consistently execute perfect shots at a high level.
Instead of investing time and effort trying duplicating that one perfect shot, your time is better-spent learning which shot(s) you can duplicate consistently.

Step 3: Consistency
Sometimes you shoot 1-2 under par. Sometimes you shoot 8-10 over par. Focus on getting your game to a consistent point (even if that consistent score is 3-4 over par). Once you create consistency, then focus on shaving strokes.

Step 4: Playing within yourself
I have to laugh when I see "tee pad peer pressure". Approaching a water hole you have a safe shot in mind, but the guy on the top of the card opts for a low-percentage shot and happens to make it (this time). Just because s/he made it this time does not mean you can make it, will make it, should try it, etc. Play the highest percentage shot for you.

Step 5: Commitment
Many of the erroneous shots I throw (even today) are a result of not committing to the shot and focusing on proper execution from the approach to the release.

Step 6: Practice
Have a standard practice routine and practice real shots.
Here is what works for me: When putting, all my practice is inside the circle. Once my muscles feel sufficiently warmed up (regardless of how many putts I make) I practice approach shots, then mids, then fairways. I rarely 'warm up' distance drivers unless it is a tournament environment and I have to be ready for a big drive off the 1st hole.
Learn how the discs fly independently, not what disc to throw on a specific hole. This is generally achieved through fieldwork.

Be patient with yourself & your development. Just because you want to get better doesn't necessarily mean you will, even if you follow the excellent advice that is being shared in this thread.

Practice putting. The quickest way to shave strokes off of your score is to get good with the putter. If you're just starting, I suggest keeping putts relatively short to help build confidence. I know there is a TON of information in regards to putting on this site and elsewhere. My suggestion? Keep it simple, use a stance that feels the most comfortable to you and don't change it. Always aim for a single chain link and reach for that link as you are following through your putt.

There are some solid putting instructional vids out there that I would recommend watching. Or perhaps watch some old tournament coverage.

It doesn't matter how far someone throws if they struggle around the greens.

I was curious, are there any specific things you did that you think accelerated the quality of your skills? Besides just playing a lot?

Play/practice as much as possible. It should be a fun mix between the two.

Tried to play with people who were both better than me and really understood the game. At the same time, I had a group of friends around my level who I would then play competitive rounds with. Having that balance is great.

Don't skip out on playing because of bad weather. Playing in wind and rain make you better.

Played different courses. Just dialing in all the shots at your home course doesn't translate to playing well everywhere.

Read technique and form advice threads and watch some good form vids on YouTube. Learning and implementing the X Step added, on average, around 5 throws per round for about 3 months. Then those 5 extra stokes quickly vanished along with another 2-3 per round. Everyone has a little different style but some of the fundamentals are considered fundamentals for a reason.

Throw skill appropriate discs and don't tinker too much just to see if there's some "magic bullet" disc that will take you to the next level. Not to say trying new discs isnt ok or won't lead you to a staple in your bag. Just that most discs are useful at some level and if you're constantly trying all the new stuff or trying to find the next best x, y, or z it's hard to really learn what your discs will and can do.

Latest posts