• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are these scary courses you all play at?

Sugaw here in Charlotte isnt all that bad during the daytime, though I still CCW when I go down there (a .380ACP isnt all that much extra weight in my bag!). I wouldnt advise playing down there by yourself at or around dusk. Its real sad when you just want the freedom to enjoy your life in a public park but occasionally have to watch your back every now and then when hood types come around your way which happens to me every now and then when I go play Sugaw.

If a mugging can happen in little ol Rock Hill parks (i.e. Boyd Hill) it can happen anywhere... even Sugaw. Get your CCW and start pushing these reptiles back into the hole they came from.

Brookside in Indy is the shadiest course I've ever played. The course itself is excellent, but the few times I've been there I've seen lots of suspicious activity and some shady characters lurking around. It's the only course I've ever played and not felt safe there./QUOTE]

Ditto here Adam, I played the course a few times and was scared for my life once. During the Checkered Flag in 06 a guy I played with managed to hit an Escalade in the rim and the guy turned around, it wasn't that much fun. Another time I watched a guy do a 360 burnout in the middle of the road only to park his car 15 ft from where he did the burnout. Run inside to a crackhouse I guess and run back out and proceed to drive on the wrong side of the road the way he came from. Cars had to swerve out of the way, oh yeah it was a Corvette too and I'm sure it wasn't his. I have been called about every racial slang when I was playing by some guys playing basketball. On a side note there was a very SCARY gas station about a half mile from the course, the guy who worked behind the counter was just scary, he had a pit bull behind the counter and the place smelled like phemaldehyde.. :\

sedgely woods in philly is in the middle of a mega-hood but the golfers don't seem to have too many problems. i think they found a body there years ago.

ditto druid hill in baltimore on both the hood and the body.

I played Druid one day from 9 AM until nearly sunset, only taking a short lunch break to McLubricate my energy reserves. Joined various groups of one rounders throughout the day and finished the day playing the back nine solo. Drove an hour to get home, took a shower and turned on the news to hear that a body had been found at the course. They must have watched me play holes 12-14 before dumping the body next to the road by 13.

I played Druid one day from 9 AM until nearly sunset, only taking a short lunch break to McLubricate my energy reserves. Joined various groups of one rounders throughout the day and finished the day playing the back nine solo. Drove an hour to get home, took a shower and turned on the news to hear that a body had been found at the course. They must have watched me play holes 12-14 before dumping the body next to the road by 13.

You sure you didnt kill that guy with one of your drives off the tee??? :D

Of the 50+ courses i've played the only sketchy one was Aquatic Park In Berkley CA. I heard rumors of what goes on there and I saw it with my own eye(unfortunately). There is homeless/crackheads that live in the bushes that lines the whole course and the guys in the bushes do favors for men....... About the 3rd/4th hole I watched a guy (older guy in business attire) walk into a bush. Two holes later I saw him walk out of the bushes with a huge grin on his face zipping up his pants. It kind of sketched me out cause those bushes come into play alot. Played it once scratched it off the list and will never go back.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=274&mode=rev

Reasons not to go play Berkley.:\

c'mon guys i think you're giving druid hill too much of a hard time. ive played there 4-5 times a week for the last year and a half and have never had a single issue of any sort. maybe in the past, but certainly not now. i think the constant presence of disc golfers have scared off a lot of the sketchiness. and if youre getting harassed by the cops you must be doing something because ive never seen anyone get bothered by the po-po EVER. i think they realize we do a certain amount to maintain and protect the place and let us be. they could stop by every day of the week and write open container citations and never do. regardless, druid hill is busier than the rest of the courses in the state COMBINED so it cant be that bad ... if you have a chance to play there do it! 27 holes of urban disc goodness.

I failed to mention that this was in 1988 or 89 and I was back out at Druid the next week for another day of solo disc golf. I was really not very concerned for my safety as it was only a body dumped by the side of a road in a park. If the murder had occurred on the course I would have been much more apprehensive.