• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are these scary courses you all play at?

I personally did not have any troubles and I played with some locals (I was there for a week on business, I'm from TN) and I enjoyed the course. It was quite interesting having 10 baskets for 18 holes. I've never played a course with shared baskets. The locals I played with looked rough but were really nice guys.

Geez, things have really changed there since when I lived in Albuquerque. :( Of course that was about twenty years ago. That's too bad. I played Roosevelt once back when I first started playing disc golf and it was nothing like that. I've always wanted to go back and try that course again as the first time I had played it it was really difficult to navigate. If and when I get back there I'll try to hook up with some locals.

Dineen Park in Milwaukee. Not the best of neighborhoods. Played there a few times, and didn't see anything to be alarmed about. Just like anywhere, keep your eyes open, because I wouldn't be surprised if you heard some shots. Most of the violence happens at night around there.

Dineen Park in Milwaukee. Not the best of neighborhoods. Played there a few times, and didn't see anything to be alarmed about. Just like anywhere, keep your eyes open, because I wouldn't be surprised if you heard some shots. Most of the violence happens at night around there.

That's in a shady part of town for sure. I've never played there, but I know the area pretty well & generally try to stay outta that part of town.

At Lost Spring Indian DGC in Mississippi, we had some one hit us up to buy drugs after our round....closest thing to sketchy I have ever come across.

A LOT of pot smoking and drinking at White Birch in St. Louis...

we used to play object golf in bryan quite a bit years ago and the only undesirable activity i ever saw was the men-seeking-men type.

You know that's funny because my buddies and I have heard about that activity, stories from other players all the time, but never seen anything remotely like that. Bryan is a great DG Park to play, a must visit if passing by.

Unger Park in Fenton, MO (ironically the highlighted course on the main page tonight!)

rumor had it that the place was a haven for drug dealers and gay group orgies in the woods. Fenton put the DG park in there specifically to help that problem (hoping the additional pedestrian traffic would shoo the undesirables away), and from my perspective, it has worked.

i've never come across anyone there who seemed unruly (or looked at me like i had a purdy mouth...)

if you're looking for a plethora of disc thieves, TDD's, drunks, and stoners who are out just to clog the course and have something to do, look no further than White Birch Park in Hazelwood, MO. Plenty of righteous DG'ers there that have respect for the game, don't get me wrong, but the ******* quotient HAS turned a lot of good people away.

as such, that park is basically the dumping ground for anyone who has bad things to say about St. Louis disc golf.

It's a cool little pitch-and-putt course though, worthy of a trip in the morning or early afternoon before all the douchebags show up.

the guy who captains the course (Bob Waidmann) is a great guy though, and i wish there was more I or Hazelwood could do to improve the course's status.

Last edited:
I've never had anything really bad happen to me whilst playing, but....

Pier Park in Portland is in a ghetto-ish part of town, but I've played there several times without incident.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I was playing at Dabney State Park, in Troutdale, OR, and a guy that was a couple holes ahead of us had his car broken into. Oddly enough, my car was two cars away, unlocked, with several valuables in plain sight, I guess Gus, my German Shepherd that I left in the car was enough of a deterant :)

And one time playing at the college course here in Bend, after getting into an argument with a group of snowboard thugs (yes, it IS as ridiculous as it sounds) that kept throwing into us, one of them went back to their car and pulled a pistol, but honestly, I couldn't tell if it was real or a pellet gun, or what, it was just really odd seeing a gun on a disc course.....

I've never had anything really bad happen to me whilst playing, but....

Pier Park in Portland is in a ghetto-ish part of town, but I've played there several times without incident.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I was playing at Dabney State Park, in Troutdale, OR, and a guy that was a couple holes ahead of us had his car broken into. Oddly enough, my car was two cars away, unlocked, with several valuables in plain sight, I guess Gus, my German Shepherd that I left in the car was enough of a deterant :)

And one time playing at the college course here in Bend, after getting into an argument with a group of snowboard thugs (yes, it IS as ridiculous as it sounds) that kept throwing into us, one of them went back to their car and pulled a pistol, but honestly, I couldn't tell if it was real or a pellet gun, or what, it was just really odd seeing a gun on a disc course.....
Oregon has a ghetto-ish part of town? I am dumbfounded.

Of the 50+ courses i've played the only sketchy one was Aquatic Park In Berkley CA. I heard rumors of what goes on there and I saw it with my own eye(unfortunately). There is homeless/crackheads that live in the bushes that lines the whole course and the guys in the bushes do favors for men....... About the 3rd/4th hole I watched a guy (older guy in business attire) walk into a bush. Two holes later I saw him walk out of the bushes with a huge grin on his face zipping up his pants. It kind of sketched me out cause those bushes come into play alot. Played it once scratched it off the list and will never go back.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=274&mode=rev

Of the 50+ courses i've played the only sketchy one was Aquatic Park In Berkley CA. I heard rumors of what goes on there and I saw it with my own eye(unfortunately). There is homeless/crackheads that live in the bushes that lines the whole course and the guys in the bushes do favors for men....... About the 3rd/4th hole I watched a guy (older guy in business attire) walk into a bush. Two holes later I saw him walk out of the bushes with a huge grin on his face zipping up his pants. It kind of sketched me out cause those bushes come into play alot. Played it once scratched it off the list and will never go back.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=274&mode=rev
Favor? Did the guy in the bushes fix his zipper or something?

Sugaw Creek is in the worst neighborhood of all the courses, but it really is not bad at all. Ironically, the most car break-ins happen at Reedy Creek which is in the nicest area of any of the courses. It is just that the parking lot is so secluded.

Boyd Hill in Rock Hill has had some incidents including BigWaveDave from Wilmington getting mugged during the USDGC. I think they stole his cell phone, but the cops caught the kids about 10 minutes later.

That's what I was going to say!

Last week, the Charlotte DGC Website said they had had 5 break ins in the last week, with one break in at each course (although there are more than 5 courses in Charlotte.. so???).

When you drive into Reedy Creek there is a large sign warning about potential breakins.

And, I heard Boyd Hill was not a solo course. Play with others!
DSCJNKY

Of the 50+ courses i've played the only sketchy one was Aquatic Park In Berkley CA.

Yup! I played Aquatic two years ago at 7:30 in the morning. When I pulled in the parking lot I saw what I assumed was a pimp... one of his ho's (sp?)... and they were in the middle of a what I would assume would be a crack deal... and then they went into the bushes. Sketch!
DSCJNKY

This isn't scary but it is true. The course at Mt Airy in Cincinnati was pushed by local Law Enforcement because everything else they tried wasn't working. At the time the PDGA rule for looking for a disc was 3 minutes. That was strictly enforced at Mt Airy because it wasn't just a PDGA rule it was the law. "No loitering in a bush in a city park for more than 3 minutes". lol

The area we put the course in was known for public homosexual activity, nothing wrong with being gay until you take the acts public (which is also true for heterosexuals). They had set up stings and all that did, according to the parks department, was advertise the fact to others who wished to participate in that type of activity in public. So we had a lot of help with that course getting put in and it did resolve the city's problem.

Gregg Hosfeld, 1987 Worlds Champ and traveling comedian, did a great write up on Mt Airy that included a humorous comment about this. (wish I remember what he said lol )

craftsman said:
Haven't played it yet (9 open holes doesn't seem worth it now) but there's a course in Detroit off of davison. Though I haven't been to the course I'm sure it'll rival any posted
That'd be Jayne/Lasky Park. I was there a couple years ago for the grand opening ceremony. It is a nice facility in a not-so-nice area. I think a basket was stolen not three days after being installed, and before the grand opening ceremony had even taken place!

I do have to give them credit for even installing a course in the first place, but I don't really think it's worth playing primarily because of the location, but also because it's short, flat, and wide-open (I think a total of three trees come into play on the whole course). But if you're looking for a course within the Detroit City limits, this is your only option.

sleepy

At Lost Spring Indian DGC in Mississippi, we had some one hit us up to buy drugs after our round....closest thing to sketchy I have ever come across.

That kind of surprises me about that course, being as it's somewhat remote from any urban centers -- not saying that it can't happen anywhere, but you don't exactly have the steadiest stream of traffic through the park.