• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are these scary courses you all play at?

Of course, there's police substation right on the edge of the Washington Park course in Indy.

Sugaw Creek is in the worst neighborhood of all the courses, but it really is not bad at all. Ironically, the most car break-ins happen at Reedy Creek which is in the nicest area of any of the courses. It is just that the parking lot is so secluded.

You know it's funny you should mention Reedy Creek. Sometimes I ride my motorcycle when I go and play disc golf. This summer, there was one time at Reedy Creek when I got done playing a round and I noticed the two buckles on one of my saddlebags were unbuckled. The only thing I had in my saddlebag was a cargo net and they didn't take it. I never leave valuables in my saddlebags when I leave my bike unattended, for this very reason. I was irate to say the least when I saw those buckles undone. I kept saying to myself how lucky the bastage was I didn't catch him in the act. Oh if only I had seen him.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty ballsy of the douche to go poking around in my saddelbags. I was parked in the very first space closest to the #1 tee pad/ practice basket. Of course the person may have been watching me from afar and could have made sure I was well on my way before he came poking around.

Of course, there's police substation right on the edge of the Washington Park course in Indy.

Fair enough, but even in the less traveled areas of Brookside the people hanging around on the course seem to leave disc golfers alone.

Carver Recreational Center DGC in Chattanooga, TN. Bad area and got a lot of wierd looks from the locals while playing. Very uncomfortable feeling throughout.

redan just outside atlanta has a rep as somewhere you don't want to leave valuables in the car.

I've heard reports of that myself, but I've played at Redan several times over the past year or so, and have never seen any problems. It's a nice park, and the surrounding area isn't all that bad. On the other hand, I always put away the valuables in my car so they're not visible from the outside, no matter where I park.

Bryan Park in Richmond may have problems late in the evening and night, but weekends or daytime I have NEVER encountered a single hard time or bad vibe in two years of playing there....for the record.

I like Brookside (even though I keep getting quoted for how bad things can be there). I just wanted to be honest in my review. I do enjoy the course, I play it more than any other, but I have seen some things, man.

As far as scary goes...

The kids who tried to make off with my disc was back in like 1996. I think the people there get disc golf a little more now than they did then and I doubt such "misunderstandings" happen anymore. We used to always have to tell people "leave it there" when they'd walk by a disc on the ground and try to be helpful by picking it up for us...

The truck radio thing sucked and I'm still a little pissed off about it, but it would have happened back in '97 or '98. This was when my buddy gave up the game (at least in Indy) and I didn't have anyone to play with for a while leading to my long recently ended hiatus. Just can't let that one go...:mad:

When that big lady was peeing, I never once felt threatened by her in spite of her size advantage over me. I played there about a month ago and they've cut down a ton of trees by hole 6, so that shouldn't happen again as the pee-ers should be able to see you putting out now from the bridge...

The day laborer dude woke up when my friend and I were discussing where we should tee off from and he went to a different shady spot to nap without any kind of danger being present. I think he may have said "sorry" even.

And most importantly and best of all, nobody has been killed there since that one guy.

My biggest beef with the course this summer and fall was the fact that it was overrun with pee-wee football players and their families. Kids climbing on the pole holes, cars parking on the fairway, families setting up chairs on the tee boxes, etc., make it impossible to play the entire course. Absolutely sucks. However, all these families present should show the world that it is pretty safe for a couple of hippies to throw a round, imo.

I've heard reports of that myself, but I've played at Redan several times over the past year or so, and have never seen any problems. It's a nice park, and the surrounding area isn't all that bad. On the other hand, I always put away the valuables in my car so they're not visible from the outside, no matter where I park.

i never had a problem at redan personally- i have just heard tales. i used to play it several times a year when i had a gf in atl. once i came up to the tee of the hole back by the neighborhood and there were 4 15-16 year olds there smoking a blunt but they were friendly enough.

I used to play Redan a lot in the early 90s and back then it was way "out in the stix". We actually had a couple of courses that were closer, but we enjoyed getting out of town to the quiet setting of Redan. Looking at the course on this site, I was stunned to read about parking lot schenanigans and how different the course layout was.

I'd still like to get the old gang back together and play a round there like the old days...

...since I'm the one liking these scary courses, maybe the problem is me...:\

Bryan Park in Richmond may have problems late in the evening and night, but weekends or daytime I have NEVER encountered a single hard time or bad vibe in two years of playing there....for the record.

we used to play object golf in bryan quite a bit years ago and the only undesirable activity i ever saw was the men-seeking-men type.

there is a course in Joliet that I went to years ago, but I can't recall the name of it now. I never had any problems while we were there, but it was right by Stateville, the maximum security prison where John Wayne Gacy was executed and Prison Break was filmed. It was definitely not a good place to play. The only time we were reminded of that was when one of the holes passed a rather delapidated set of townhouses with some unsavory charactors outside with their pits giving us white kids dirty looks.

When that big lady was peeing, I never once felt threatened by her in spite of her size advantage over me. I played there about a month ago and they've cut down a ton of trees by hole 6, so that shouldn't happen again as the pee-ers should be able to see you putting out now from the bridge...

What the??? LMAO!! I am so reading your review now. Oh man that's funny!

The scariest course I've played is Barber Park which kind of in the ghetto, I've heard of someone being held at gunpoint and the occasional "hey white boy" beef but other than that my TL and I have been the most dangerous things on that course that I've personally seen.

this sentence should be added to the 'pros' section of your review, just for the LOLs.

i know it got me laughing.:D
:D

Its tough to act like a drug related murder isn't a con for a course, but in all fairness to the park, I've played there hundreds of times and never once been murdered there myself, and I don't believe any of my friends have been murdered there, either.

I'd probably stop playing there if I got murdered there.

Probably.

Scariest course for me to date is Roosevelt Park in Albuquerque, NM. Upon approaching hole#1 I spoke with a guy who mentioned that there's drug activity there regularly and I might even see people having sex on the fairways. Not that there's anything dangerous about that ;) – He said it was a city park 1st and a disc golf course 2nd. I believe it was the park that rapper MC Hammer was shot at.

Scariest course for me to date is Roosevelt Park in Albuquerque, NM. Upon approaching hole#1 I spoke with a guy who mentioned that there's drug activity there regularly and I might even see people having sex on the fairways. Not that there's anything dangerous about that ;) – He said it was a city park 1st and a disc golf course 2nd. I believe it was the park that rapper MC Hammer was shot at.

Geez, things have really changed there since when I lived in Albuquerque. :( Of course that was about twenty years ago. That's too bad. I played Roosevelt once back when I first started playing disc golf and it was nothing like that. I've always wanted to go back and try that course again as the first time I had played it it was really difficult to navigate. If and when I get back there I'll try to hook up with some locals.

Carver Recreational Center DGC in Chattanooga, TN. Bad area and got a lot of wierd looks from the locals while playing. Very uncomfortable feeling throughout.

Especially if you had recently seen Deliverance.

It wasn't scary but it felt wierd, at Pincic Hill in Two Rivers it seems like either a nursing home, or perhaps the mental ward at a hospital. I just felt like at any time somebody in a straight jacket was going to open their shades and start screaming at me "get me outta hea". About 4 holes run lengthwise down the building, so it was an uneasy 10-15 minutes for me (not seriously, but if you ever go play that course, take a look for yourself.

I also felt a little uneasy in Florida in a few places. There was North Fort Myers Community park, that is filled with sawtooth palmettos and it certainly looked like a few places where bums must have slept. There were makeshift little shelters back along the outskirts of the course. Fortunately the crappy neighborhood surrounding the course is fences off from the course to try and prevent people from enetering wherever they choose, but that doesnt stop people from getting in there through the main entry . . . it isn't like their is a gated shack or anything.

My local course DIneen, which happens to be the closest course to my house, is not in the greatest neighborhood either, and many people walk directly through the park to get from place to place because it would be a shortcut going NE/SW instead of following the streets. I haven't really seen shady things, but I know the area and there is a lot more crime around that area than any other course in the Milwaukee Metro. Crimes of opportunity are available here, but I can't say I have ever heard of anything disc golf related with any crime there on disc golfers or anything.

All sorts of other places to hide on many of the courses I have played, but those are the three that stand out as actual shady looking areas.

:D

Its tough to act like a drug related murder isn't a con for a course, but in all fairness to the park, I've played there hundreds of times and never once been murdered there myself, and I don't believe any of my friends have been murdered there, either.

I'd probably stop playing there if I got murdered there.

Probably.

Man I gotta get more creative in my reviews, it will certainly direct more traffic to them by posting these hilarious quotes!

Scariest course for me to date is Roosevelt Park in Albuquerque, NM.

I've never been there but I was advised by some local residents not to play it.

Jefferson Barracks in St.Louis's south county area has had some cars broken in to and the neighborhood has gotten kinda rough. Not that I would call it scary but I do watch the other park patrons closer there than at other parks. Too bad because JB is a really cool course.

One thing I used to do when I carried a lot of money was to sing my own version of "Mississippi Kid" loud enough to be heard by others.

I got my pistols in my pockets
And I'm Alabammy bound
Well I'm not looking for no trouble
But nobody gonna dog me 'round
I got my pistols in my pockets
And I'm Alabammy bound
Cuz if you people cause me trouble
Lord I've got to put you in the ground