• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which company will be gone by 2014

Which will be out of business by end of 2014

• Innova

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Discraft

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • MVP

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Vibram

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Dynamic disc

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Westside

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Lat 64

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Lightning

Votes: 139 55.8%
  • Gateway

Votes: 31 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 91 36.5%

• Total voters
It will be interesting to see if Prodigy lasts. A small company with low running costs can keep going with fairly small amount of sales, but Prodigy's team is probably costing them a small fortune, and they are banking on getting big sales to make up for it. Now if they can't get the sales going that they would like, it will probably result in big financial troubles. It feels they're taking a big gamble, to either really make it big or go bust, and so far the coin is up in the air and could land either way.

Agreed, I'm hoping they can make it and come out of the hole they are in now.

It will be interesting to see if Prodigy lasts. A small company with low running costs can keep going with fairly small amount of sales, but Prodigy's team is probably costing them a small fortune, and they are banking on getting big sales to make up for it. Now if they can't get the sales going that they would like, it will probably result in big financial troubles. It feels they're taking a big gamble, to either really make it big or go bust, and so far the coin is up in the air and could land either way.

I hope they make it. I love their plastic, but I am not in love with the current molds I have felt. I can;t wait for a putter and I still need to try the mids.

From what I have heard, Prodigy doesn't seem to be very dealer friendly so I have to question their business model if they are making it tough for dealers to sell their products.

Yeah, I recently got my club to start getting Gateway discs for players packs because of the cost saved, love my Wizards, and in the last couple of years they have added some great non-putter molds as well. The Slayer is my go to ultra long (this is what Innova wishes the Teedevil could've been, feels like my Destroyer in the hand, but has closer to a faster Archon stability, for an arm my size it gets a really straight low fade drive, I noticed the Tern wing looks suspiciously similar), the Karma and Mystic (similar to a Comet but I think these are little more forgiving) are good mid range molds that fill the gaps and the Demon is the only real competitor to the Drone, and those new more stable candy E Apaches look sweet while the Assassin is a favorite of anyone I've ever seen throw one. The one thing they really need is another distance driver on the flippy side, something in the speed range/rim width of the Illusion, but designed with the purpose of being a competitor to the Beast, TD Rush, or Avenger SS.

I think the Samurai fits that bill!

So we all know it happens. With all the new disc companies coming in over the last few years and the saturation of the market with new molds that are awfully close to other molds. Some company will more then likely end up going under.
Innova-people have complained about their quality on this site over and over, but will a giant fall?
Discraft- with most of its teams members moving on, is it a sign of their disc in general?
Prodigy- too good to be true? Too much hype? Even it's simple disc names could be its undoing. Especially since we disc golfers like animals and catchy names on our disc
Vibram-some call it a niche? Can rubber really make a run or fall flat?
MVP- gyro? You buying it? Too many molds too fast?
Dynamic- spreading itself to thin with tourney, disc production and everything else?
Lat 64- "that ain't American" actually had people say that. Wonder who will break that to the dynamic throwers
Westside- can it get a grasp in ther America's?
Time to debate

I cant see Innova or Discraft going anywhere ever as long as DG is around. They're the founders.

MVP the gyro things is cool, but I guess I dont get why everyone loves the putters. I would think their discs would be much better suited for drivers and mids.

Gateway could get by with making just wizards I bet.

There does seem to be a ton of plastic to choose from though and only so much money.

I'm struggling to see how Prodigy is going to survive. They're sponsoring a boatload of pros and the first three months of public existence have really been a PR nightmare.

I can't imagine their business being sustainable is sustainable in its current state.

Of course, I don't think it will be over this year. I see it as several years of trying to stay afloat before eventually caving.

And if they go under then you'll have 15 threads on here with people selling 200 dollar prodigy discs. I can see it already. Its amazing how much someone wants something after you take it away from them.

I hope they make it. I love their plastic, but I am not in love with the current molds I have felt. I can;t wait for a putter and I still need to try the mids.

Im with you on that the plastic is really nice. I had to buy one of the mids my local place had just to try it, even with the issues I've heard about. Feels so good and the price was good. Disc seems to be defect free and I weighed it to make sure that was good to go.

From what I have heard, Prodigy doesn't seem to be very dealer friendly so I have to question their business model if they are making it tough for dealers to sell their products.

How are they not dealer friendly? How are they going to sell stuff then? doesn't sound smart...

Last edited:
umm, wouldn't that be DGA?

your right poor wording, but I guess when I say that they're the ones that really got everything going arent they? They're the big 2 for a reason. The fact that the had so many discs and Im sure they outsell all the little guys combined easily.

Daredevil seems like a goner, but maybe that's because I've never seen anyone with one of their discs. It seems rarer than Lightning around here. But, then again, I don't see a wide range of courses.

I'd have to say no disc manufacturer will fail in these times. Merge maybe, bought out possibly but I believe disc golf is booming/or beginning to boom(yet again).

Lotta Lightning hare around here...you'd be surprised at how many discs they actually sell, though. And they do make decent baskets.

I voted for "other" and have to go with RIP Discs. The Graboide has a cool stamp and the Relic feels like a deep dish piazza, but the Ballistic is just atrocious. So they'll be gone. Same with Skyquest, though Skyquest has the benefit of having a really great plastic blend. However, their drivers are just flippy nonsense. Snap will also likely be gone. Daredevil will survive because od their Ultimate and Freestyle discs, but I can see them shuttering the disc golf division. Think that about covers it. All the little dudes will be gone. There is just no room for the niche market anymore.

So in recap, I think ABC will be the first casualty, followed by Prodiscus, Lightning, Quest and Westside, but not for atleast 2-3 years.

ABC is a slow grower. Dan Pastore is an awesome person with some great ideas. Flying Squirrel and the Bee Line are AWESOME discs! If you like deep straight putters there is nothing better than the Money. They really do have alot fo great discs and the plastic is solid. I am surprised there isnt more love for the Mission as well. They will be here for some time.

What about RIP? or DKG? or Snap? or Skyquest? These brands have no following whatsoever, and none of their molds stick out.

ABC is a slow grower. Dan Pastore is an awesome person with some great ideas. Flying Squirrel and the Bee Line are AWESOME discs! If you like deep straight putters there is nothing better than the Money. They really do have alot fo great discs and the plastic is solid. I am surprised there isnt more love for the Mission as well. They will be here for some time.

I want to see ABC succeed more than anything. I've spoken with Dan on the phone a couple times, and he is a great guy. I honestly didn't think he'd stick around very long since his first discs seemed to all be understables (in a heavily overstable-dominant game). I am beyond ecstatic that he's still in the game.

I annoy people all the time in casual rounds to throw my Flying Squirrel when a turnover is the best option, and their disc hyzered out early. They usually wind up parked.

What about RIP? or DKG? or Snap? or Skyquest? These brands have no following whatsoever, and none of their molds stick out.

I did not pick ABC because of any issues with Dan Pastore. I have never heard a negative word about him. I just think they are overwhelmed with the other options. They have a great line up, but I have something just a little better in every spot.
I do not see ABC advertise much and also hype goes a long way. When is the last time you saw 13 threads about ABC in the same month. They need a Hype man :)

I don't see any of the companies in the poll failing as long as more and more courses are getting installed.

What about Innova cutting out the Discmania division? I don't get out and play that often but when I do I hardly see a disc from them. I have a chaos driver, but other than that no one I've spoken to expresses an interest in them.