• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which feels better, a short hole ace or long hole fairway ace?

although the fairway shot is usually a tougher one, and it really feels great to get a big 2 on a larger hole. An ACE is an ACE. so...regardless of difficulty, if its in in 1....thats sweet

Probably all depends on the shots you're comparing. It may be hard to make it a blanket statement. But.... the Ace off the tee is the one that puts a 1 on your card and ink on your disc. No one else on your card is signing your long birdie/eagle/par save disc.

First, the lower the score, the better. As far as that goes, I think we're talking here about whether you get more excited about hitting the ace on a hole you should deuce, or sinking one from a tricky lie or distance when you were really expecting to have to approach and putt.

I've hit a few aces, but only a couple of long-ish ones. My biggest thrills come from hitting a perfectly executed upshot that goes in. Maybe my favorite followed a tee shot that clipped a branch and wound up in an otherwise impossible lie in a creek bed, blocked by trees, with 90+ feet uphill through the woods to a rollaway basket position. I was trying to sneak an S-shaped upshot near and flat to the hillside just above/beside the pin, thinking it was likely to roll back down to the creek and leave me with a bogey. When the birdie shot went in, I wished I had a witness!

Carding a 1 for the hole is better than carding anything else.

It depends. If your field ace is on a par 3, then it's nothing to write home about. If it's on a par 4 (that would be a nearly impossible 1, a very rare eagle 2, a tough 3, and a relatively standard 4), then the result's the same, because you'll still be gaining two strokes on the competition with your 2. And if the shot's a difficult one and you had to shape a nice line, then that feels better to me than a short ace.

My favorite shot was at hole 10 at Hiestand, longs to longs. It's a 540' hole off an elevated tee into a tunnel that opens up to a larger field with the pin tucked down to the right on a very fast sloping green. I've never even heard of a 2 there until I got one. And it was good. The shot that went in was a long anny that held just enough to get down the hill and flex right back at the pin; it was just what I wanted to do, and it was beautiful.

That shot felt better than all my other aces, with the exception of my first one.

Pretty much feels good every time I "hole out."

I have 13 aces, but the best shot I have executed was a "fairway ace" on a par 4. I have never heard of anyone else pulling a 2 on this hole either (Hole 17 Seatac in Seattle). A 495' hard dogleg right with a very tight landing zone on the drive and a guardian tree over the basket. I threw a Buzzz on both shots. I am more excited about that hole because of the difficulty vs any of my aces.

ACE all day; like others have said, a 2 is common on the card but the 1 is [partly] what we're out there for. The perfectly shaped fairway shot that drains for eagle is pretty damn great, but not having to shoot from anywhere but the tee is even greater.

I would say that an Ace would feel better but what if you're playing a higher par hole and you do better than a -2 for a par 3 ace?

And to answer the OP, An Ace (no need for modifiers) is way better than an awesome Deuce.

Draining a long shot from the fairway is very satisfying, but dropping one in the chains from the tee and putting up a '1' on the scorecard is hard to beat.

This^^

For me it is being able to put a "1" on the card.
My first, and only, ace came from a 283' hole riddled with trees. I've hit several fairways shots but my ace was the only one where I threw up both arms and hollered like an idiot.

It depends on the situation.

A short ace is great but if everyone else takes a 2 on the same hole that's only a 1 stroke advantage. If by making the long fairway shot you are able to deuce a hole that others take a 4 on that would be the more satisfying shot.

If $ is involved then an ace is the correct answer.

If I have a lousy tee shot and my second is a short pitch out leaving me to expect a bogey on the hole and I somehow make an amazing par save with a long fairway shot, that would be my answer.

Too many possible scenarios for me to have an absolute answer as I don't believe in absolutes.

FWIW, aces are not the be-all and end-all of a round of disc golf.

Latest posts