• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which feels better, a short hole ace or long hole fairway ace?

I'll take the ACE anytime, no matter how short. The awesome shot from the fairway for a birdie or possibly an eagle is great but nothing beats a hole in one for me.

Tourneyment Aces

Tourney Aces are the best !

Got one 3rd. round ( Sunday morning ) in a tourney last month , only paid $90 cuz there was 2 others on Saturday . But the cool part was , It was my first throw of the round ! Right off first tee pad and in ! No warm up ( got there late ) with only about 6 putts to warm up ! :clap:

Second one not really a tourney ace but it was Skittles contest and I aced it !

http://youtu.be/Zo0BLxUKlIw. :clap:

Don't know if u can see that , but that's my second shot with my #2 Ion that goes in . I'm 4th from the left , my dog Gypsy runs down to spot for me !

There's a pic that goes with Skittles but I'm at work and haven't figured out how to do pics yet .

Last tourney of season for me in 2 weeks , hope to throw another in the bucket on my home course !

I much prefer a

FAIRWAY ACE, BABY!

because of the way saying it makes so many heads explode, like I'm one of those dudes in "Scanners."

I would much rather take the short hole ace in almost every circumstance. I just hit my first ace (4th overall) in almost 2 years on a hole that was 178 and slightly uphill (Hole 14 Paint Creek) and it was extremely satisfying (I whooped and hollered like a noob :D). I have hit plenty more fairway shots than I have aces. To me nothing beats hitting it from the tee and putting a 1 on the scorecard.

If I'm in the Ace Pool... Ace.
Not in the Ace Pool...it depends on the shot.
A field Ace to card a 2 on a hole I often take a 4 on might be a way better shot than an Ace on a hole I usually duece.

I had a deuce on a par 5 and just one lonely ace at 146'. I celebrated like I won the lottery on both shots, so I'm pretty equally entertained by both options. I guess I'll say a short ace if I had to pick one.

Tourney Aces are the best !

Got one 3rd. round ( Sunday morning ) in a tourney last month , only paid $90 cuz there was 2 others on Saturday . But the cool part was , It was my first throw of the round ! Right off first tee pad and in ! No warm up ( got there late ) with only about 6 putts to warm up ! :clap:

Second one not really a tourney ace but it was Skittles contest and I aced it !

http://youtu.be/Zo0BLxUKlIw. :clap:

Don't know if u can see that , but that's my second shot with my #2 Ion that goes in . I'm 4th from the left , my dog Gypsy runs down to spot for me !

There's a pic that goes with Skittles but I'm at work and haven't figured out how to do pics yet .

Last tourney of season for me in 2 weeks , hope to throw another in the bucket on my home course !

Cool video! :clap:

If I'm in the Ace Pool... Ace.
Not in the Ace Pool...it depends on the shot.
A field Ace to card a 2 on a hole I often take a 4 on might be a way better shot than an Ace on a hole I usually duece.

^^ Although getting an ace is awesome, if a fairway ace is going shave off one or two extra strokes? Gotta take it.

Awwww, who am I kidding?? SHORT ACE ALL THE WAY!!! :D

I've only thrown the one, about 375 feet (downhill), so I don't know yet. It felt like a miracle, so it is going to be hard to beat.

Definitely depends on the hole. Short aces are a dime a dozen *yawn*. Plenty of holes out there I've never deuced (I have never heard of deuced, ie hole 6 or 15 at Oak Island) and would love to hit that long fairway ace, that would be much more thrilling than hitting an ace on bald eagle.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's Ace Parade. I totally get the excitement of hitting an Ace - it's a complete rush, one shot and it's in = perfection. There's just something about watching it the whole way, realizing it's got a chance and the anticipation right up until the payoff when it crashes chains. You can't do any better than that.... on that hole.

I just want to point out that some field aces are actually more impressive (and probably better shots) many aces, especially if they're longer.

1) You're not throwing from a nice tee pad. You might be standing on uneven round or some other funky lie that makes the shot more challenging.
2) You aren't necessarily throwing from a spot where you're "dialed in." *

* When you play a course frequently, you can throw your tee shot in the dark, literally... because you know exactly what line, angle and release you want off the tee. Chances are it's the same shot every time... at least that's your goal.

Field Aces happen from anywhere in the fairway (maybe not even from the fairway), with far less predictable lines and circumstances. Nailing one from 270 from a lie you've never played before may be more impressive than a 270' Ace.

An ace all day every day. I don't believe in field/fairway aces they're just a long shot you made. I agree it feels great hitting both of these shots but aces are the best feeling IMO. Even though a fairway/field ace isn't a real thing IMO, how does it work? If I hit a lot of trees then nail 300ft shot in the middle of the fairway for a triple bogey is it still a fairway ace or does it have to nailed for under pair?

Hitting a really great, long shot to card a 4 or 5 would just seem weird, if not completely hollow. :\

Last edited:
I've never kept count of the long upshots I've hit for birdie. On the other hand, I have a list of all ten of my aces (nine of them occurred from 1996-2000...) complete with course, hole #, Disc (weight) and date. Last ace was in 2007, and that is the only one I've hit since Nov. of 2000.

I hope to hell my next ace for which I've been feverishly waiting doesn't happen on a little dinky hole, though. (In fact, I have a couple of them on 100' holes that I don't count.)

Everybody knows aces on any hole under 200 feet don't count.

I have plenty of 2's resulting from upshots under 200', but I dont retire discs for those, nor do I think they are anything special.
Its just a " Hey man, nice shot " kinda moment.

First shot, from the tee, over 200 feet, in the basket, now thats something worth buying beers for your group, anytime. :)

Everybody knows aces on any hole under 200 feet don't count.

I have plenty of 2's resulting from upshots under 200', but I dont retire discs for those, nor do I think they are anything special.
Its just a " Hey man, nice shot " kinda moment.

First shot, from the tee, over 200 feet, in the basket, now thats something worth buying beers for your group, anytime. :)

I don't have one yet, so I'd be happy to hit one on a 50' hole.

I've got a couple 200'+ fairway makes, but I don't see how they could possibly live up to what an ace feels like...not that I'd know.

Latest posts