• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Which Innova disc sucks the most?

the birdie is a great disc, i love it for touchy approaches and fast/tricky greens. it always sits wherever it hits the ground, no skip/roll/etc. no need to hate :)

my vote is for the groove or wolf.

Plus, little danger of anyone ever stealing it.

(Yes, I'm a birdie lover, but I do hear a fair amount of ridicule about it)

This thread is kinda ridiculous in my opinion because that's exactly what everyone is basing their argument on, their opinion. Its all about what you like and prefer. Maybe you don't like a certain disc because you've only thrown it a few times and haven't learned that disc so you just hate on it. I've seen world champions throwing Sonics and my friends crushing Grooves way farther than I can toss my top driver. Do I hate on those discs? No, because I haven't taken the time to learn them or they just don't fit my game. That's my two cents on it.

I think it's a great thread.

It proves that every disc has a use and a user out there somewhere.

......though, personally, I've yet to see anyone using a Dragon more than once.

I love the groove. With that said I only use it for a few situations. It is perfect with huge wind behind your back, or a hole with serious downhill. Other than that I would never throw it.

Innova: Wolf or polecat:thmbdown:

Discaft: Slipstream:doh: Worst disc to date

I think it's a great thread.

It proves that every disc has a use and a user out there somewhere.

......though, personally, I've yet to see anyone using a Dragon more than once.

A few people in my league use a dragon on any hole with water. So does my 12 year old after having to swin for his discs a few times.

Kite, Skeeter, Dragon, Wolf, Sonic, Polecat, Birdie and Archangel are all excellent discs for players with less power/arm speed. Which is exactly why they make great choices for new players, ladies and youngsters. These models will rarely be the disc of choice for any player that can already throw over 300 feet. (Except as a niche disc.) These discs enable less powerful players, or those with little technique, to learn to throw straight shots and/or turnover shots. For most beginners, golf discs are indeed meathooks. But put one of these discs in their hands and watch them throw that long, straight shot for the first time.

If you are planning on doing any kind of youth or women's clinics, please look into all the above models as perfect disc choices. The Skeeter, Polecat and Sonic all come in EDGE weights (125 to 135 grams) which is great for younger players. (Sonic is even available down to 90 grams as the Sonic Xtra 215 from Hero. A weight even the youngest tot can throw.)

The Kite, Skeeter and Sonic all make great "one-disc discs". If you can only provide one disc to new players at your beginner clinic, ladies event, scout or youth demonstration, make it a lightweight Kite or Skeeter. New players can drive, approach and putt with just one disc. Once they have the ability to throw one of these discs straight or have it turn over, it is time to add a midrange or driver to the bag.

So while all you big arms have little use for most of these discs, they are workhorses for weenie arms everywhere. :thmbup:

So while all you big arms have little use for most of these discs, they are workhorses for weenie arms everywhere. :thmbup:

served%20you%27ve%20been%20served%20you%20just%20got%20funny.jpg

I cannot speak for the Archangel but I think the Dragon does not suck, just needs to be put away by those who do not want to throw anything that understable.

It's understable to begin with AND it's 150 class...that's way too much understability for anything but a specialty roller which I can do more effectively with many other discs.
I have a friend who knows how to throw. He is well aware that his limit is 275 feet and can get it to S-Curve beautifully, showing no fear of the water.

If he is throwing 275, no, he does not know how to throw. Also, if he's getting a Dragon to S, he probably isn't very good, in fact probably horrible.

Yet it might be nice to have that little bit of insurance (floating) if I know how to throw it.

Also, no. This is not a question of "knowing how to throw" this disc. Unless I throw it slower than the slowest of putters, it is going to turn over. I've released this thing on a 45 degree hyzer at moderate speed and watched it turn and burn. It's simply too much understability to be packed into one disc. I'm sure it's great as a downwind driver...oh wait, the 150 class Valkyrie is infinitely better than this disc at doing that.
How do you feel about the Hydra? This is basically the mid-range version of the Dragon. For some it flies like crap, for others it can give them the confidence to throw to their potential without fear of losing it in water.

I have a Hydra in my bag. It actually works well as a slightly overstable putter but for approach shots. It works well in the 250 and under range on hyzer lines. I could care less that it floats, it just feels good in my hand. Also, if you're scared of going in the water, a floating disc won't really help. When you inevitably plunk it right in the middle of a lake, good luck swimming out there to get it. You may as well have just thrown a normal disc because you're swimming anyway. If you threw it in a moving body of water such as a creek, you're prob losing this disc because it will sit on the surface and flow downstream whereas a normal disc would find its way to the bottom and likely stay there.

Summary: The Dragon is awful for all but the weakest of beginning players. The Archangel is awful, but mostly because it has no clue what way it wants to fly from shot to shot. Sometimes it's understable, sometimes it turns and burns, sometimes air gets caught up under its dome and it glides out. Suck it Archangel, you're nobody's savior.

Kite, Skeeter, Dragon, Wolf, Sonic, Polecat, Birdie and Archangel are all excellent discs for players with less power/arm speed.

I like how you include the Dragon and Archangel here and then never mention them again in your rant. These discs simply suck. The Skeeter, Polecat, and Birdie can be great learning tools and even some more advanced players throw them, but the Dragon and Archangel do not fit in that category. I honestly believe if you start your game with these 2 discs in particular, you'll be fighting bad habits in your game for years.

Archangel trumps Dragon on suck due to inconsistency. At least Dragons are consistently retardedly understable.

This thread is kinda ridiculous in my opinion because that's exactly what everyone is basing their argument on, their opinion. Its all about what you like and prefer. Maybe you don't like a certain disc because you've only thrown it a few times and haven't learned that disc so you just hate on it. I've seen world champions throwing Sonics and my friends crushing Grooves way farther than I can toss my top driver. Do I hate on those discs? No, because I haven't taken the time to learn them or they just don't fit my game. That's my two cents on it.

extremely well said!

Latest posts