• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which one do I choose, Stalker, River, or Teebird

Teebirds are awesome, so are TL's and Z stalkers. They're all about the same length, and I carry them all. Overlap? Maybe, but I use them all as my main drivers 90% of the time. I agree with the stank comment.

I have a Gold line River, and it is the best disc I've ever thrown. I love lat64, and also have opto line stryker and halo. My buddy had an opto river, but it flys different, and he cant make it work. But yeah, the gold river added about 200 feet to my drives, has the control to make trick shots, and feels like it has auto-pilot through the woods. Fyi-mine is pearl blue with silver stamping. beautiful disc/beautiful flight

I have a newer river that I love, but I think I need a straight, stable to mildly overstable similar speed to complement it... Some help would be appreciated!

Teebird? Cyclone? A Striker might be too fast for what I'm looking for, but would that work? I wanted something between speed 5-8 for this role. Also as some other references, I really love the feel of my River's plastic, and I LOVE my beat-to-h3ll DX Viper for a fairway but I'd like decent plastic, as the Vip is on the way out.

aj

Teebird in star or champ plastic will end up being your workhorse disc (like it is with most people that carry it). I prefer star for the little extra glide and feel of the plastic. A little overstable new, breaks in to straight.

If you need something a little over stable to replace your Viper, get a champ Banshee. It's a sweet disc.

I would go with a DX Teebird..166-170g..prefer 168ish myself but they are super money..love them worn a lil..you could prob get a river and a dx bird if you wanted since they kinda cheap

Hmmm..I throw a 172 Cryz Stalker, for straight and low shots, as well as some hyzer shots. I've got a 172g GL River that I use for annys and flexies. I have a 170 Opto River that was a little flippier than the GL, but took it out so I could work on beating in the GL more.
I've never thrown a Teebird, but as far as Stalkers and Rivers, they both co-exist very happily in my bag. Hell, FrankD is of the opinion that my drivers should just be two stalkers and two rivers...

I've recently thrown in a [snowflake]flat 172g opto Striker and a domey 174g opto Striker to see if they might kick the stalker out, or if they might find a home in my bag anyway. Partially to add a teensey bit of overstability to my bag...but mostly just cause I had 'em...and the reason I bought 'em?
The flat one had a neat snowflake pattern...and I was gettin a Vision from the guy already...so y'know...what the hell. And the domey one...well...it was a neat purple/pink color and....no...that's actually the only reason I bought it come to think of it....I had absolutely no need for a domey opto striker. I need to avoid the marketplace when i'm bored...

ANYWAY...it's 5am and I'm rambling, but the point is...Sloppy, I'll dye yer discs, and you will notice an increase in performance*. Just not that cat in the hot tub...or, if you want, i'll try it, it just might take me a while...

*The Dyers Guild makes no guarantees that your dyed plasticwill fly better, farther, glidier, smoother, shinier, or sexier than your non-dyed plastic.**

**But it will. :D

Also...was this thread really ressurected so you could sorta call someone a poser? :popcorn:

Last edited:
Looking to pick up a new fairway driver, been eyeing all of these, but which one Z-Stalker, Opto River, Star Teebird? Advice from those who have thrown them would be greatly appreciated.

Stalker is good if you have less arm, or want more of a very fast buzzz. Not sure of the river, but I totally would use both the stalker and teebird as a solid 1-2 combo for fairway drivers. Basically, one will finish on a solid spot to the left and the other a solid anhyzer shot to the right for RHBH. Those two discs, a mid range, and a putter if I had to pick a four disc bag.

Last edited:
Also...was this thread really ressurected so you could sorta call someone a poser? :popcorn:

No. I didn't realize it was an old thread. I don't get any kicks from internet "insults" (albeit that comment was made in jest).

But my point was solid: throw what works, not something to look cool. Sports equipment should be functional first....worry about how it looks second.

I have many cool lookin gdiscs that ride the bench. That said, if they are equal to another disc that doesn't look as good, I'll certainly throw the cool looking one.

Just picked up a Z Stalker recently and I already love it! It goes long and straight, and I love the feel and grip of it.

No. I didn't realize it was an old thread. I don't get any kicks from internet "insults" (albeit that comment was made in jest).

But my point was solid: throw what works, not something to look cool. Sports equipment should be functional first....worry about how it looks second.

I have many cool lookin gdiscs that ride the bench. That said, if they are equal to another disc that doesn't look as good, I'll certainly throw the cool looking one.

Here we go again. Over two weeks with no comment, then you come back to the dead thread and start posting random garbage. If this really bothers you start a new thread.

Picked up a used Z stalker a few weeks ago. It is a consistent straight flyer in practise. I have not had a chance to try it on a couple of local 300 ft low heavily tree lined fairways due to persisitant icy weather. If I can make it work those shots, then it will be a keeper. I can make the River perform a variety of shots, gentle hyzers and anhyzers, but I struggle to keep it on a straight line, but it is a keeper for what it does.

Here we go again. Over two weeks with no comment, then you come back to the dead thread and start posting random garbage. If this really bothers you start a new thread.

Wow....

I often post on things I search for vs. lookin gat the date. I'm sorry if that upsets you for some reason.

And "random garbage"?
Hmmmm. :confused:

It's an internet forum, I don't get why people take things so seriously. Lighten up.

+1
I would rather look cool than get another 10 feet. It is nice to go to a park/ course where a lot of Rec players hang out and get instant respect because it seems like you have spent the time and the money to take this sport seriously. They are more likely to let you play through or listen to any tips you may want to give them.

On the other hand, there is something to be said in taking what appears to be a beginners disc and throwing it farther than Jim Thome can hit a White Sox's fastball. That obviously will earn you a lot of instant respect too.

Id rather drive 10 feet farther than you than look cooler than you.

On a cool scale they trump non-dyed for sure.

Break Break:
On thread topic, are many folks still auditioning Stalker vs. River?

I recently aquired a host of different stalker types. The ESP variety seems to have the least LSS and is marginally less HSS. I have 2 Flat CryZtal types (one with a sweet dye actually...). One is 167 or 8 and one is 174. The 174 is actually over-flat (bent slightly in).

I also have a 171 Z Glow and the PDGA ESP.

The Glow is by far the most stable to overstable. The ESP has seen the most use, and is also the least overstable.

I have schwacked the Cryztal at 168 into a few trees and that sweetened up its flight pattern.

Then thing that interests me the most is a lack of LSS, and it seems like Z plastic in all it's varients seems to want to be a little more LSS. I notice this for Champ plastic as well.

At one point I had a small fleet of Champ TL's and they tended to have a little extra LSS than other plastics. Maybe it's in my head, I don't know.

bird over stalker, but I have never thrown a river, so I cant weigh in on that one.

I would try all three and see which one feels the best and fits the gap you are looking for.

beat in tbird is very nice and controlable. Holds lots of lines. New ones have a little more low speed stability for a little fade.

I havent thrown the river, but would like to. However, i have grown to love my crystal z stalker I found as i lost a 3 ace monster(don't you love it when a course throws you a disc as your huntin' for one, esp when you let one go...). My stalker found a spot in my bag as i lost my star teebird. Granted its way more stable than my star tb, its long if i want it be and seems to be interchangeable with my buzz for those 250-300' holes- the bead did get a little getting used to...

TL is nice and versatile, the River is nice and straight. I've never had a Teebird that earned a slot in my bag.

Stalkers seem to skip less for me than tbirds. I imagine they also skip less than rivers due to the diameter and the less streamlined shape. Something worth mentioning when comparing the discs.

Latest posts