• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which one would you rather have: power or putting?

i would take 2 wishes from the genie.... and then ask for both.... served!

Putting. Even with my 275-300' noodle there are few, if any, holes at the local courses I can't reach in two. Except #3 long at Victor Ashe. 1100'+ is a little out of my reach! I'll take par on the longer holes & birds at the shorter ones all day long

Definitely putting.
My putting game is WEAK and I lose easy strokes to it all of the time. I can barely drive over 350 now and there are few courses I play where you need much more than that for a birdie. Even under 700 it should be easy par if you have decent control.

putting.

power is nice to have but not necessary. putting is crucial. to the above poster who said that you'd like to park 500' holes.... the disc golf genie didn't say you would be accurate and powerful. only powerful.

PS i think there should be a 3rd category for accuracy. It's completely different from both putting and power and just as necessary.

Power. Improving distance has been a stumper for me, but my putting is respectable and improving. I am not discounting the importance of good putting, but I think my putting is on the way there.

Maybe the genie would have to fix my arthritic pivot knee to get me some power. That would be cool.

Driving, anyone can learn putting. Kinda like basketball, anyone can hit a jumpshot, but few can get up and dunk like Jordan.

Putting, if you check the thread about playing 970+ rated rounds, A theoretical player with only a 300ft drive but 30ft putting range shoots a 970+ round at most the major PDGA events last year.

If I could say something else... accuracy for putting, approaching, and driving.

But if I have to pick from the two, definitely putting. Especially long putts (35'+). I made 4 twos in the last week by sinking 40-60' putts. You can get a great score if you can drive 300' accurately and consistently and can hit every putt inside 40'.

Putting most definatly. Like others have said, driving far is nice. But not every course is wide open. Go ahead a park a 500 foot heavily wooded hole. Its probably not happening. Id rarher have an accurate 300-350 ft. drive, which make my upshots better and then all I need to worry about is consistently sinking putts. Putting FTW!

Power for me, I'm a tolerable putter. If I could get it out 350' or so with any kind of accuracy it would give me the impetus to get back to being a good putter.

Given the two choices, I'd pick putting. I'd prefer having precision accuracy over either of them.

Putting, if you check the thread about playing 970+ rated rounds, A theoretical player with only a 300ft drive but 30ft putting range shoots a 970+ round at most the major PDGA events last year.

Yes, Putting. See the thread mentioned here and pretty much every other thread where this is discussed.

(Theoretically) 250' drive + 30' range= 2 on any hole shorter than 280', 3 on any hole shorter than 530', 4 on any hole shorter than 780', 5 for 1030'.

350' drive with less accuracy and 2 putts per hole (on average). 3 on 380' or less, 4 on a hole 730' or less, 5 on 1080' or less.

So the crossover point where driving is more important than putting (on this comparison) is at about 905'. And we all know that there are very few holes longer than that. Even on the longest courses in the world, there are (at a max) 6 holes that long. Mathematically, it is better to putt consistently. And it's a game of math.