• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who is really washed up?

Who has dropped off the most?

• Dave Feldberg 1021

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Eric McCabe 1016

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Steve Rico 1009

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Brian Schweberger 999

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Avery Jenkins 997

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Will Schusterick 997

Votes: 72 68.6%

• Total voters
I'll see Dave, Brian and Will playing in the King of the Hill Alaska tournament at the end of the month. They're fortunately playing Open since I had to drop down to Pro Master 40+ with not enough pros 50+ heading to Anchorage.

My gut says Feldberg. He was better than McBeth when he was on top. Literally amazing for a couple years. Then poof, drops Innova, drops into obscurity. I have heard more about some advanced players than Feldberg over the last couple years.

Some of these guys have been around for a while. So is "washed up", "fallen off" or what ever else really applicable? Shoestrings is the only one on here not 40+ or pushing it right? IDK if I was gonna call someone "washed up" I'd have to know I could beat them.

Washed up means no longer the same player they were. These guys have all dropped 20+ rating points the last couple seasons.

Feldberg played at an amazing level into his late 30s while not being a physical freak.
McCabe was hot mid 30s and won worlds but really hasn't fallen off a ton, he's probably doing the best of the bunch.
Schwebby is probably late 40s now and is a big guy who probably is losing mobility. Great thumbed though.
Avery is a physical freak, always hyped up for being about 6'4 and 250, innova really hyped him to make you think bigger is better. Had one great week and won worlds.
Rico has really fallen off the last 2 years, broke his 20 year cashing streak. Never had a big arm but his putting and diversity of shot always gave him a chance.
Shusterick got married and has really seemed to not care.

What a churlish and ungracious thread topic.

When asked about his reasons for retirement from the sport, a well-respected Hall of Fame member told me he simply couldn't put up with the mentality of the people anymore, and the more I read stuff like this thread topic, the more I understand and agree with his sentiment.

It strikes me as the mentality of someone who steals while being given...

Schwebby has been hurt lately and unable to throw his thumber. His rating is absolutely reflecting to that.

Washed up means no longer the same player they were. These guys have all dropped 20+ rating points the last couple seasons.

Shusterick got married and has really seemed to not care.

Shusterick was injured and had shoulder surgery and missed an entire season last year, right? He's been getting back into tourneys of late and been filming the DGI series of instructional videos, I'm not familiar with anything indicating he doesn't seem to "care" anymore.

My gut says Feldberg. He was better than McBeth when he was on top. Literally amazing for a couple years. Then poof, drops Innova, drops into obscurity. I have heard more about some advanced players than Feldberg over the last couple years.

Actually, all of that coincided with his injury as well. After Feldy injured his back, he would struggle to be the same week in and week out. He can still turn it on for one event, but without the physical ability to practice all the time like today's touring golfers, it really (like several of the others) changes the conversation. And he didn't "drop" Innova. With him not able to play all the time, and him not (yet) being a Hall of Famer, he wanted to spend more time teaching and developing a new idea for disc golf which ended up being the Next Gen Event Series.

So, "not being the same player" could be just as much due to personal choice and other priorities rather than just playing. Ricky, Paul, Eagle Simon, Nate, et.al make their living playing dg.

Feldberg -- injury, now promoting and captaining Latitude 64, promoring Next Generation (over 40)
McCabe -- now promoting Dynamic Discs, and focused on course design (over 40)
Schwebberger - injury (nearly 50)
Rico - injury, now CEO & designer for Legacy Discs
Jenkins - promoting and repping BOTH Innova and Discmania. Despite the grief he & SpinTV got over the DGWT, they pretty much popularized today's disc golf statistics (he called them metrics) in his commentary for Spin
Schusterick -- injury, now promoting & repping Prodigy Disc

Last edited:

When asked about his reasons for retirement from the sport, a well-respected Hall of Fame member told me he simply couldn't put up with the mentality of the people anymore, and the more I read stuff like this thread topic, the more I understand and agree with his sentiment.

I think this comes with the effort to make disc golf a spectator sport, and thus the top pros impersonal heroes or villains. Elsewhere, we talk about major sports stars being "washed up", or worse. We even do it with college athletes which, the older I get, the stupider it seems.

Get. Over. It. This is a forum to discuss all things disc golf. Ungracious? Seriously? Touring pros bounce from one town to another cashing in on the locals hard work of fundraising and organizing. Why shouldn't we be able to discuss rise of fall of different stars in our sport? That's part of the fun, there's no need to only kiss their arse. If people are upset about other people talking about an obvious decline, then they should choose not to listen.

I'm 32 years old and I already have lost some of my distance due to back issues this year and if someone called me "washed up" I certainly wouldn't beetch and moan about it. Don't get mad, get better.

YzWb8EcV_400x400.jpg

Touring pros bounce from one town to another cashing in on the locals hard work of fundraising and organizing.

This is the first I've seen this mentioned. I always wondered about how locals felt and it looks like their might be some animosity. (Not to derail this wonderful thread)