• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who threw in the snow today?

Got in about 90 minute of practice holes on my property. About 14 degrees out, but the sun was shining and hey, I threw today.

Got a few inches last night in the Triad area of NC, took my wife to work this morning and hit Johnson Street Park for a round. -2 alternating White and Blue tees not bad for wearing gloves either! It was fun, I taped some colorful thin ribbon to the top of the drivers so I didn't have any trouble finding my disc! Keep throwing!

played today for the first time ever in the snow :) I shot 4 down at sugaw creek, granted we only have maybe 2 or 3 inches at the most but I still played in the snow! it was so fun I wish I could more

threw two rounds at kaposia, started trying to throw from the chest area more with my arm almost parallel with the ground. worked out well, felt i had more control. i liked it.

i also love my low PLH pd2. it straight BOMBS. there is some turn but it always comes back. i can't wait to start breaking in my yellow one. my putting was okay, better than it has been lately but not as good as it could be. threw even the first round, -1 the second. FINALLY back on track. discing down to my tangent where i used to throw my PPD in hopes of getting farther down the fairway has played a big role in my scores becoming more consistent. i can throw farther now than i used to. i need to play smarter and play my disc selection wisely on my initial drives. driving for the fairway will win. don't be a hero. putting will take care of the rest.

that said, i did go for the gold on hole 8 both times. thank you PD2!

it got me two easy deuces. BOOYA!

IMG_20140129_145348_503_zpsftkutkvm.jpg

^^^Congrats! You'll probably be bombing your drives when the weather warms up! (ps: commiseration on seeing your dyed disc on sale. that stinks!)

...and your picture prompted me to write for this thread:

I played a couple of rounds this afternoon because we finally got some temps up out of the teens (it's been just below zero in the mornings for the last few days). The 3-5" of snow remaining on the ground today was dry, crunchy, and firm. Made me tempted to try 'sledding' my discs on the longer holes. Played OK today (right at and one above my average for my home course).

Made me tempted to try 'sledding' my discs on the longer holes.

Had about a foot of snow on the ground for a tourney this past Sunday. Threw some thumbers in the woods and got some awesome extra distance as they slid upside down on the snow as they came down.

Just like I planned it... ;-)

Temps were above zero for the first time in days - thought I might try and throw at Bandimere. Drifts of snow were basket deep. Hard crusted snow that would support your weight 90% of the time, then let you fall through in areas that were waist deep..... Lots of fun, but so much better than working..........

Attachments

• 0129041631.jpg
    0129041631.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 0129041631a.jpg
    0129041631a.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 14
threw two rounds at kaposia, started trying to throw from the chest area more with my arm almost parallel with the ground. worked out well, felt i had more control. i liked it.

i also love my low PLH pd2. it straight BOMBS. there is some turn but it always comes back. i can't wait to start breaking in my yellow one. my putting was okay, better than it has been lately but not as good as it could be. threw even the first round, -1 the second. FINALLY back on track. discing down to my tangent where i used to throw my PPD in hopes of getting farther down the fairway has played a big role in my scores becoming more consistent. i can throw farther now than i used to. i need to play smarter and play my disc selection wisely on my initial drives. driving for the fairway will win. don't be a hero. putting will take care of the rest.

that said, i did go for the gold on hole 8 both times. thank you PD2!

it got me two easy deuces. BOOYA!

I am with you - lack of footing is a great way to work on other areas of technique. I pay SOOO much attention to release angle and snap when I am flat footed in knee high snow.

Got out last night!! 20 degrees of awesome out and we broke trail on the back 9 of White Cedar @ Mont Du Lac. I threw pretty well for most of the time. Pretty happy with that.
b9b27c16896a11e3828f0adff3cf312b_8.jpg

00b9a546896e11e3814b12a8cab34d5b_8.jpg

Last edited:
My daughter (who is NOT a hard-core disc golfer) finally gave up and went golfing with me today in the snow. She wanted to wait until the snow melted, bu who knows if that will ever happen. :| We had a pretty fun time. We went back later and sled down the hill by #8 and had a better time.

Played our third Ice Bowl today at 18 degrees and three inches of frozen hard surface packed firm enough it supported MY weight (most of the time). It was beautiful out by the lake as new snow flurried down out of the calm, grey skies. But the discs were sliding so bad I watched helplessly, multiple times, as my putt slid away from the basket on a miss. Nearly ruined the day, but wound up coming in 2nd after a two hole playoff. Don't ask how few of us there were! :eek:

Played in the snow today for the first time in a couple years (first snowfall this year). Just had to take my new Alias out for a spin. There was about 3" of powder. Shot 7 down at a simple course near me, but threw the new Alias on almost every tee so I had to dial that in as well as figure out footing and distances in the cool air and snowy ground.

Had a blast :thmbup:

I did. My company (a craft brewery) is a sponsor of a local Winterfest. Our local disc golf shop (Pure Flight in Amherst, MA) was there with a basket set up and some "competitions" scheduled. Not for DGers per se, but for exposure. Me, the wife, my 16 yo daughter, 3 yo son and Pete from Pure Flight laughed, had fun, and threw putts, hoping others would find the DG fun. Was so pleased as we had to leave to see a half dozen youngsters throwing putts from ten feet away and giddy with excitement. Growing the game, snow and all. The Winterfest was at a local muni 9 hole ball golf course where Pure Flight is setting up a temp DG course for a March tournament (whch we are also sponsoring). Grow it baby!!!!!!:hfive:

I don't mind playing in the snow. The problem here in S.E. Missouri is we always get ice with any snow and it makes keeping your footing tricky. I spent 3 hours out in it today trying to prepare for our local Ice Bowl in 2 weeks. I'm feeling all of my 45 years right about now.

Latest posts