• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who was this Johnson City women's player??

blake833

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
So I was playing Winged Deer yesterday (Nov 26th) and there was what looked like a husband/wife with a dog, they walked through the course and stopped at hole 4 to throw the ball for the dog in the fairway. They politely moved and let me throw, then the wife asked if she could throw a disc out of my bag. I handed her a disc, she looked at it, said "Oh a leopard, cool." I said something like, "if you want something else you can look through my bag!" and held it out to her. She declined, got on the teepad, and just RIPPED IT. It was a pretty new one and weirdly stable, and didn't flip at all. Instead it held true, even hyzered a bit early, and almost hit the road. I was impressed, but just went ahead and finished my round.

It wasn't until like, hole 16 I realized, if that disc had behaved a predictable leopard would have, and flipped cleanly, she would have parked or ace-ran that hole. And then I was like, "she knew the disc, she threw the **** out of it, cleanly and accurately (if the disc had behaved predictably). Is there an FPO in Johnson City I just didn't recognize and completely whiffed my chance at talking to someone legendary??" If you're in the Tri-Cities area and know who she might be, let me know.

I also didn't see a facebook page I could post on for the area. But if there is let me know.

For more context- that hole is about 385', downhill about 10-15' (maybe less), and against the trees on the right, road OB long and left. It's fairly open, but wow it's not exactly a gimme especially for a backhand. There's no room to approach from the right for a RHBH. It would have to flip and glide in, and she was one weirdly overstable leopard away from doing exactly that, for for sure inside the circle putt, from 385'. Just, incredible.

Holly Finley has family in Tennessee, its Thanksgiving weekend and throws Innova. She could rip a Leopard. Was she a red head? Was maybe walking with a male family member or friend with a dog vs husband?

Holly Finley has family in Tennessee, its Thanksgiving weekend and throws Innova. She could rip a Leopard. Was she a red head? Was maybe walking with a male family member or friend with a dog vs husband?

I think it was someone a little older than holly finley. and maybe a little stronger, though with cold weather clothes it's hard to tell. And a little shorter, though having only ever seen holly on camera, that's hard to tell too

Macie Velediaz lives in the general area and has a dog and husband and maybe top 5'ish FPO power. But she is pretty young.

Sara Sinclair lives in Tennessee with her dogs and husband Shawn (who was an immortal pro 20 years ago). I have no idea if it's the same place in TN or not. No idea if I'm remotely correct here, but there's another Tennessee FPO possibility who would be older than Holly Finley.

Sara Sinclair lives in Tennessee with her dogs and husband Shawn (who was an immortal pro 20 years ago). I have no idea if it's the same place in TN or not. No idea if I'm remotely correct here, but there's another Tennessee FPO possibility who would be older than Holly Finley.

She's middle TN, so 3-5 hours away. But I suppose she could have family there.

Why's it wrong to think just a local, amateur female couldn't unleash a disc 380'? If an amateur guy was throwing it 400 - 500', would anyone be asking the same question?

Why's it wrong to think just a local, amateur female couldn't unleash a disc 380'? If an amateur guy was throwing it 400 - 500', would anyone be asking the same question?

What? Seriously? That is what you got from the OP?

First off, very few women can throw a disc 380 feet so yes, an "unknown" who could throw it that far would be of interest. Especially given that she apparently didn't warm up but just stepped up and ripped it. Second, he made it very clear that it wasn't simply the distance but that if the disc had not been brand new, she would have parked it.

Nothing the OP posted indicated anything other than admiration for her throw.

Why do people just want to dump on other people? :wall:

And to answer your question, if a random guy walking a dog asked to throw a disc I would be very surprised if he then threw it 400-500 feet. The reasonable expectation under those circumstances would be that he was not a regular player, much less an advanced one.

What? Seriously? That is what you got from the OP?

First off, very few women can throw a disc 380 feet so yes, an "unknown" who could throw it that far would be of interest. Especially given that she apparently didn't warm up but just stepped up and ripped it. Second, he made it very clear that it wasn't simply the distance but that if the disc had not been brand new, she would have parked it.

Nothing the OP posted indicated anything other than admiration for her throw.

Why do people just want to dump on other people? :wall:

And to answer your question, if a random guy walking a dog asked to throw a disc I would be very surprised if he then threw it 400-500 feet. The reasonable expectation under those circumstances would be that he was not a regular player, much less an advanced one.

Seriously

--Hey, it's very nice to meet you.

--Yeah, you too...where ya from?

--Cleveland

--Oh yeah? I got a buddy from Cleveland...hey do you know a guy named Paul Smith?

Lol...this conversation reminds me of the futility of this thread.

Despite my sarcasm, the speculation is fun to read.

--Hey, it's very nice to meet you.

--Yeah, you too...where ya from?

--Cleveland

--Oh yeah? I got a buddy from Cleveland...hey do you know a guy named Paul Smith?

Lol...this conversation reminds me of the futility of this thread.

Despite my sarcasm, the speculation is fun to read.

Futile threads are not allowed on DGCR.

not as old as donna barr. maybe i exaggerated the age a little bit. It MIGHT have been Macie Velediaz?? I mean unless someone comes forward and was like "hey that was me" we'll never know. I figured i'd have better luck on a fb page but couldn't find one for the area. which seems crazy given how much disc golf there is

He did say it was a downhill hole. Maybe if the drop-off was 50 feet instead of 10, I'd be parking 385 foot holes too.

Drop was no more than 20', I think around 12'. The field is pretty level after you get off the tee. Even back uphill at the end.

Latest posts