• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who was this Johnson City women's player??

I had something similar happen to me about maybe 8 years ago or so? It was a guy with his own Disc though, just one putter he was carrying. I was at Oshtemo TWP Park in Kzoo on hole #5 from the shorts (a sharp dogleg left in the woods that I can't reach with a driver) as he walked up. I asked if he wanted to play through, looked like he was fast, and I figured it was a brand-new player with just the one Disc.

He was a lefty...and WHAM, mashed that putter on a perfect turnover...OVER the trees straight ahead and right at the pin. My jaw dropped to the ground. He quickly thanked me and was on his way to a pickup deuce that I never see anybody achieve with drivers. True, the trees were a bit shorter than they are now. I'm not sure that shot is possible now.

It was a younger guy and I don't really remember anything else that stood out about his looks. (Whenever my wife asks me what color hair somebody has I never remember that sort of thing; I'm such a guy.) I wonder if it was a young Reid Frescura? He's a lefty and from a town a little over an hour away. I don't know if he was playing at this point in time or not.

Best shot I've ever seen on that hole, and I'll likely never know who that was.

Why's it wrong to think just a local, amateur female couldn't unleash a disc 380'? If an amateur guy was throwing it 400 - 500', would anyone be asking the same question?

There are less than 10 women in the entire world who can throw a disc 400ft (actually 400ft, not internet distance) on a golf shot line. And they're all sponsored touring professionals.

So yeah, it is a big deal to see a random woman out walking her dog do that casually, with no warmup and using someone else's disc, with a fairway driver.

I'm voting it was Macie. She's one of those <10 people.

I had something similar happen to me about maybe 8 years ago or so? It was a guy with his own Disc though, just one putter he was carrying. I was at Oshtemo TWP Park in Kzoo on hole #5 from the shorts (a sharp dogleg left in the woods that I can't reach with a driver) as he walked up. I asked if he wanted to play through, looked like he was fast, and I figured it was a brand-new player with just the one Disc.

He was a lefty...and WHAM, mashed that putter on a perfect turnover...OVER the trees straight ahead and right at the pin. My jaw dropped to the ground. He quickly thanked me and was on his way to a pickup deuce that I never see anybody achieve with drivers. True, the trees were a bit shorter than they are now. I'm not sure that shot is possible now.

It was a younger guy and I don't really remember anything else that stood out about his looks. (Whenever my wife asks me what color hair somebody has I never remember that sort of thing; I'm such a guy.) I wonder if it was a young Reid Frescura? He's a lefty and from a town a little over an hour away. I don't know if he was playing at this point in time or not.

I've got a similar story, although I found out who he was later. It was my first trip out to the Toboggan, maybe 2008ish, me and another buddy who were basically newbs with dx discs and starter bags, who had no business being out on that course but also had no idea how to navigate it.

I saw a guy throwing putts on hole 18 and canning everything and casually walked up and asked him if he knew the course and wanted to join us because we had no idea where hole 1 even was. He surprisingly jumped at the idea and was like yea I'm Scott, I know the holes. Once he bombed hole 1 and parked the shot I knew he was legit. Little did I know the guy was Scott Slater, who won AM Nats on that course just a few years prior (he never mentioned any of that!) Very friendly guy who showed us the course and the layout and couldn't have been more cool. I think that was my first time playing with an actual pro in person too.

Did anyone insinuate that you were wrong for claiming that shot is even possible for a lefty throwing a putter?

There are absolutely people that never play tournaments out there like that. I played a round with a random guy that carried a blowfly and a destroyer, that's it. He threw the blowfly on everything up to 340' and the destroyer after that. It was crazy. It made me wonder if he got a crazy stable blowfly or something. Another round I played with a guy that didn't miss a putt under 100 feet, I actually asked him if he played tournaments and he told me nope..no way. He used to lay a lot of baseball (I got the impression he was semi pro) and just fried on competition. He straight up said he'd never compete in any professional sport again.

I'm sure this is a known player but to say there aren't people out there with crazy skills is just silly.

I love hearing these stories.

Mine happened close to 15 years ago... was playing the local pitch n putt, Hole 8 is an open 420' with two large trees about 325' on the right side to avoid.

This is back when I only carried a Raven, or Firebird, or whatever else I just bought, didn't even know what putters were probably. A random guy was talking about disc selection on the tee, and was like "yeah, I like throwing a midrange on this hole so it doesn't fade out at the end" or something like that.

He then proceeds to park/overthrow this 420' hole with something resembling a yellow Buzzz (this image is burned into my brain, even after all these years) on a slow turning anny line. Still blows my mind, that's something the top pros are doing on coverage today, 15 years later. Jerk. :)

I saw it with my own eyes, and yes, it was absolutely a putter.

I believe you....BUT did anyone ELSE insinuate that you were wrong for claiming that shot was possible? Ex. "Why's it wrong to think a lefty couldn't unleash a putter on Oshtemo TWP Park in Kzoo on hole #5? If a righty guy was throwing it , would anyone be asking the same question?"

There are absolutely people that never play tournaments out there like that. I played a round with a random guy that carried a blowfly and a destroyer, that's it. He threw the blowfly on everything up to 340' and the destroyer after that. It was crazy. It made me wonder if he got a crazy stable blowfly or something. Another round I played with a guy that didn't miss a putt under 100 feet, I actually asked him if he played tournaments and he told me nope..no way. He used to lay a lot of baseball (I got the impression he was semi pro) and just fried on competition. He straight up said he'd never compete in any professional sport again.

I'm sure this is a known player but to say there aren't people out there with crazy skills is just silly.

Just for reference, I've played a bunch of rounds where I never missed a putt under 100 feet...nobody ever asks me if I'm a professional though:\

(I know for certain Miss Finley was in Charlotte on Sunday. She played behind my 3-some at Eastway. Another Lady Pro was with her, but I can't recall her name. Not crazy to think she could be in TN a day after Thanksgiving, but I doubt it was her.
Silly me, she was behind us for the entire round, and I never once turned to watch her throw. I was doing everything in my power to NOT appear to be a fanboy. My good buddy got her autograph on a Lion, though - she seems like an extremely cool individual, and was thanking my friend sincerely for even asking... Good people in DG. That's Truth.)

I believe you....BUT did anyone ELSE insinuate that you were wrong for claiming that shot was possible? Ex. "Why's it wrong to think a lefty couldn't unleash a putter on Oshtemo TWP Park in Kzoo on hole #5? If a righty guy was throwing it , would anyone be asking the same question?"

Gotcha. It's not out of the question for somebody who's highly rated. It's a tough get from that angle and that height even for someone of that caliber. A lefty turnover is probably more likely to park it because it penetrates more instead of stalling. The fact it was done with a putter was all the more amazing as I stood there. It was especially shocking because I assumed he was a newbie until he went into his razor-quick delivery and SNAP.

Nobody I've talked to has indicated they thought it was impossible for a good pro.

You couldn't do that now. The trees are a good bit taller where his putter carried.

Heh, I remember those trees being saplings in 2000 when it was a brand-new hole. That allowed me to deuce it from the long tee with a long throw-in at the Y2K Lumberjack Open. A 58 from the longs, followed by a 58 from the shorts. 950 and 850 rated rounds in one afternoon!

Last edited:

You said lefty so it's not Wade

Gotcha. It's not out of the question for somebody who's highly rated. It's a tough get from that angle and that height even for someone of that caliber. A lefty turnover is probably more likely to park it because it penetrates more instead of stalling. The fact it was done with a putter was all the more amazing as I stood there. It was especially shocking because I assumed he was a newbie until he went into his razor-quick delivery and SNAP.

Nobody I've talked to has indicated they thought it was impossible for a good pro.

You couldn't do that now. The trees are a good bit taller where his putter carried.

Heh, I remember those trees being saplings in 2000 when it was a brand-new hole. That allowed me to deuce it from the long tee with a long throw-in at the Y2K Lumberjack Open. A 58 from the longs, followed by a 58 from the shorts. 950 and 850 rated rounds in one afternoon!

Right on. I was really just exasperating the earlier 'Why's it wrong" response to the OP. Sounds like a challenging hole.

Why's it wrong to think just a local, amateur female couldn't unleash a disc 380'? If an amateur guy was throwing it 400 - 500', would anyone be asking the same question?

I've seen a young lady ripping it just short of 400 feet at Munden Point Virginia Beach #8 long tee. Short basket about 460, and long 610. This would have been Feb 20' and I had only been playing 5 months, saw her out there on #8 twice and within a week, no other hole. Don't remember but very possible she was throwing into a head wind coming off the river straight into the tee. She was practicing on the hole both times with several disc most of them placed around each other and the threat of the river both sides of fairway, its a peninsula hole. She stopped both times to let me play thru, I was able to watch her throw a few both times, it was just jaw dropping. The second time she was still parked on #8 throwing on my second round which would have been an hour later. Haven't seen her since then.

I've always wondered who she may have been? Pro or amateur? I keep looking at FPO video to see if she shows up.

You said lefty so it's not Wade

I wondered in an earlier post if it was a younger Reid Frescura? No idea. I took a whole bunch of years off from following the professional game, like 20 years, so there are a whole lot of people between Climo and today's elite players who I missed.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Am Worlds was here as recently as 2015 and maybe that was somebody here practicing for that?

Last edited:
Right on. I was really just exasperating the earlier 'Why's it wrong" response to the OP. Sounds like a challenging hole.

It's certainly challenging from the long tee for non-open players. You really need to get left to have a look at a deuce even from the short, but I think it's an easy par though, and I'm just an Am Masters guy. Toughest hole there is probably #9, and I love it. Pro and Am Worlds was played there in 2008 and Am Worlds in 2015.

Latest posts