• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who was this Johnson City women's player??

I wondered in an earlier post if it was a younger Reid Frescura? No idea. I took a whole bunch of years off from following the professional game, like 20 years, so there are a whole lot of people between Climo and today's elite players who I missed.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Am Worlds was here as recently as 2015 and maybe that was somebody here practicing for that?

Wade Sullivan is (was?) local to that area for a long time. He's around 970-980 and can absolutely crush a disc. But he's righty.

There are all sorts of people who can smash a disc a LONG way who don't have the skills to compete on tour. We have a local player around here who fits that description perfectly, he's Iike 6'4 long arms and pretty jacked. He can throw a disc 450 ft on command, on a golf line, I've seen it in person numerous times. He has a job and a family and probably never did spend those 5+ hour days perfecting all the shots, touch and finesse it takes to get to a 4 digit rating, and last I saw he's rated about 900. This despite the fact that he probably throws as far as higher rated Michigan players like Barham, Marwede, that you've seen on coverage. There are sleeper smashers out there.

There are absolutely people that never play tournaments out there like that. I played a round with a random guy that carried a blowfly and a destroyer, that's it. He threw the blowfly on everything up to 340' and the destroyer after that. It was crazy. It made me wonder if he got a crazy stable blowfly or something. Another round I played with a guy that didn't miss a putt under 100 feet, I actually asked him if he played tournaments and he told me nope..no way. He used to lay a lot of baseball (I got the impression he was semi pro) and just fried on competition. He straight up said he'd never compete in any professional sport again.

I'm sure this is a known player but to say there aren't people out there with crazy skills is just silly.

I seem to be that guy you're talking about, but I'm only that guy with strangers and I go back to being my average self after playing with them. I shot -5 on the front 9 of the longest layout at Mayflower hills (Roanoke VA). If I'd have played even on the back 9 (I normally shoot +1 or +2 on it), I'd have had a 1020ish round. The guy had to leave after 9 holes, and I shot +7 on the back 9.

I know handfuls of guys who have pdga numbers between 8000-60000 who no longer play events who smash. Guys who might be a little older but throw 400-450 and can putt. Many who if they applied themselves and wanted to spend weekends playing 2 rounds at 1 course instead of 6 courses, would be rated 950+, some pushing 1000

I seem to be that guy you're talking about, but I'm only that guy with strangers and I go back to being my average self after playing with them. I shot -5 on the front 9 of the longest layout at Mayflower hills (Roanoke VA). If I'd have played even on the back 9 (I normally shoot +1 or +2 on it), I'd have had a 1020ish round. The guy had to leave after 9 holes, and I shot +7 on the back 9.

Oh you could be like that, but both those rounds were in Minnesota. One of those people was about 15 years ago the other was about 6 years ago. I admit my sample round with the putting dude could be a fluke, but the distance with a blowfly on the other guy wasn't a fluke.

This reminds me of that "I think I'm in love" innova ad from several years ago. I can't seem to find it on YT anymore, maybe it was taken down after all the metoo stuff?

Two young guys playing a round and a young attractive brunette catches up to them on a tee and asks to play through and then crushes a drive... They both lean into frame and one says, "I think I'm in love, dude"

Was it Madison Walker? Can't remember, it's been awhile but it ran during tourney coverage for one summer back in like 2014-2016...

... or maybe it was a DynamicDiscs ad?

Last edited:
This reminds me of that "I think I'm in love" innova ad from several years ago. I can't seem to find it on YT anymore, maybe it was taken down after all the metoo stuff?

Two young guys playing a round and a young attractive brunette catches up to them on a tee and asks to play through and then crushes a drive... They both lean into frame and one says, "I think I'm in love, dude"

Was it Madison Walker? Can't remember, it's been awhile but it ran during tourney coverage for one summer back in like 2014-2016...

I want to say it was a DD ad with Paige Shue, but I don't remember for sure.

10-15' downhill would make that a 320' distance which many women amateurs could hit.

I had something similar happen to me about maybe 8 years ago or so? It was a guy with his own Disc though, just one putter he was carrying. I was at Oshtemo TWP Park in Kzoo on hole #5 from the shorts (a sharp dogleg left in the woods that I can't reach with a driver) as he walked up. I asked if he wanted to play through, looked like he was fast, and I figured it was a brand-new player with just the one Disc.

He was a lefty...and WHAM, mashed that putter on a perfect turnover...OVER the trees straight ahead and right at the pin. My jaw dropped to the ground. He quickly thanked me and was on his way to a pickup deuce that I never see anybody achieve with drivers. True, the trees were a bit shorter than they are now. I'm not sure that shot is possible now.

It was a younger guy and I don't really remember anything else that stood out about his looks. (Whenever my wife asks me what color hair somebody has I never remember that sort of thing; I'm such a guy.) I wonder if it was a young Reid Frescura? He's a lefty and from a town a little over an hour away. I don't know if he was playing at this point in time or not.

Best shot I've ever seen on that hole, and I'll likely never know who that was.

Your description sounds a lot like Reid. Reid is a young guy... and 8 years ago. The Fresh One can unleash some sick shots. And he likes to do strange lines that nobody else ever thinks of.

And he has his own discs. But its his own unique stamp, not like the other Discraft pro discs with nothing but their name. I have 2 of them.

Your description sounds a lot like Reid. Reid is a young guy... and 8 years ago. The Fresh One can unleash some sick shots. And he likes to do strange ones that nobody else ever thinks of.

And he has his own discs. But its his own unique stamp, not like the other Discraft pro discs with nothing but their name. I have 2 of them.

I like his game. Anyone who intentionally skips a disc off of water during a major tournament is okay in my book.

Since this has kinda devolved into seeing random great throwers randomly on the course, my best story involves recognizing someone almost immediately, though not by appearance. I was living down near Jacksonville Florida and had no car. My lil sis picked me up and dropped me off at the Ed Austin course while she and my niece went shopping at a nearby mall. It was the only chance I'd have likely for a few months to get onto a disc golf course. I played through the long tees and when I got back to the hole 1 for a round from the short tees some guy was warming up putting with a trio of discs and a cooler full of beer.

I might have completely walked by him and made my way around the course but... his putting style was incredibly distinct.

My exact question when I walked up to him was the awkwardly and sheepishly stated, "Um, are you number 9 9 9 9?"

The answer was yep and I wound up getting to watch Ron Russell chuck a -20 on the 24 short tees at Ed Austin, absolutely blistering it with a Comet and (if I remember correctly) a Magnet and a fairway driver that I'm not sure he even threw. The round culminated in a picture perfect 475' backhand roller into the bullseye on the final hole. Which I think might also have a slight uphill grade.

(he was also super cool, and upon hearing it was my only chance to play DG for months asked if I wanted to crash at his place and then play more the next day and then he'd get me up halfway to meet my sister the next day - truly a great host, talked about all his championships, showed off his disc collection, and watched disc golf DVDs and played putting games until it was time to crash)

Since this has kinda devolved into seeing random great throwers randomly on the course, my best story involves recognizing someone almost immediately, though not by appearance. I was living down near Jacksonville Florida and had no car. My lil sis picked me up and dropped me off at the Ed Austin course while she and my niece went shopping at a nearby mall. It was the only chance I'd have likely for a few months to get onto a disc golf course. I played through the long tees and when I got back to the hole 1 for a round from the short tees some guy was warming up putting with a trio of discs and a cooler full of beer.

I might have completely walked by him and made my way around the course but... his putting style was incredibly distinct.

My exact question when I walked up to him was the awkwardly and sheepishly stated, "Um, are you number 9 9 9 9?"

The answer was yep and I wound up getting to watch Ron Russell chuck a -20 on the 24 short tees at Ed Austin, absolutely blistering it with a Comet and (if I remember correctly) a Magnet and a fairway driver that I'm not sure he even threw. The round culminated in a picture perfect 475' backhand roller into the bullseye on the final hole. Which I think might also have a slight uphill grade.

(he was also super cool, and upon hearing it was my only chance to play DG for months asked if I wanted to crash at his place and then play more the next day and then he'd get me up halfway to meet my sister the next day - truly a great host, talked about all his championships, showed off his disc collection, and watched disc golf DVDs and played putting games until it was time to crash)

Awesome! I could watch that spin putt all day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zLvMjerbj3A