• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why all the Innova Hate?

Innova is great because they introduce discs in a friendly manner. I mean, who doesn't want to throw a Cheetah or a Leopard when they first start out? No one has walked into a DG store for their first time and said, "I'll take the Proton Tangent please."

Innova is just classic.

In what way do you mean they introduce discs in a friendly manner? How are other companies introducing their discs, Unfriendlylyly? When people just start out they are happy to throw anything, thats why innova pushes their high speed drivers. With the ultimate selling point, they fly the furthest. And yes they have, many have done that exact thing because they think MVPs look cool.

I love Innova and Discraft. My bag is basically half and half. But what I can say is I won't be throwing the Swedish or MVP discs no time soon. I am all against that hype.

All in all, Innova frustrates the customer. Their innovations are legendary and deserve praise. Their disregard for the average customer is also legendary and does not deserve praise.

Maybe in some ways, but have you ever contacted Innova's customer service? It is excellent in my experience.

One thing you should all keep in mind is that all these companies are really small. Innova is really small.

When you call Innova's customer service, a person answers the phone immediately. I expected to be faced with a wall of "press one for this, press two for that," etc. The fact that someone is paid to answer the phone there really brought home how small disc golf companies really are. When's the last time you called customer service and somebody answered the phone? There is no McDonald's of disc golf. Sure, if any company fits the bill, it's Innova. But pop your head out of the disc golf community to see that there's no evil megacorporation in the business. (Though I'm sure many of you would be excited to see Nike enter the market to give disc golf the prominence it deserves. The irony.)

One thing that kind of surprises me about consistently about DGCR is just how obsessed the community here is with one another. Why do you care if somebody else loves Innova or Prodigy? Other online disc golf communities like r/disgolf and DGR (if it still exists) aren't like this. If somebody here asks for a recommendation and says "I only throw Innova" or "no Innova please," a flame war is guaranteed. I know many of you are already typing some trite "welcome to the internet" remark, but it's not the internet really. It's DGCR. And anti-fanboy trolling is just as bad as the fanboyism you guys profess to hate. A lot of the posters here are solid, but unfortunately some of the posters that make this community insightful are also some of the worst offenders in these childish fanboy troll battles. It's too bad.

As for Innova, they gave us the beveled edge disc, the flight numbers system (hate it or love it, it articulated HSS and LSS ratings for discs really well and is copied by many manufacturers), Blizzard plastic (again, hate it or love it), tons of molds that everybody loves, and probably a lot of other stuff that I'm missing here. Yes you have to dig for good Teebirds, but seriously Latitude is pretty much the same. Do you want a flat, super flippy Flow, or a pop top Flow that's so overstable it's nearly unthrowable. Flat flippy River, or domey stable one? The list goes on. Get over it: the flying disc industry is not the aerospace industry. It will not be entirely consistent, because it doesn't need to be. It's like shirts or pants. Buy two pairs of Levi's and they will likely be quite different.

Why the Innova hate then? Who even knows. Maybe the same reason there's a thread on Prodigy discs costing $60 based on nothing but the word of some bad golfer who takes his putts seriously or something. Wow.

^Last contact with Innova was not excellent. Slow and vague.

Too bad.

It's been a while since I contacted them. Any way, they were more responsive than any company I'd contacted in a long time. And they were way way better than the only other company I had to contact (Fade).

The only place you see Innova hate is on forums, mostly here. Out there in the real world, Innova IS disc golf...as their new slogan so boldly proclaims.

I'm basically addicted to DX plastic now for the grip and glide. I like the Lat Zero/DD Classic Soft plastic, but they don't make drivers in it. Too bad. I like the RRF plastic from Gateway too, but they also don't make drivers in it. Only Innova seems to offer drivers in base plastic, for the most part, and they have the largest selection in that material.

Only Innova seems to offer drivers in base plastic, for the most part, and they have the largest selection in that material.

That's a great point, I've been waiting for the other companies to come along and do the same but I guess it's not their top priority, and I can understand why that is the case.

I do believe Latitude released the Bolt and maybe a couple other distance drivers in their Test Material base line plastic but obviously it wasn't the majority of their line-up.

yes you have to dig for good Teebirds, but seriously Latitude is pretty much the same. Do you want a flat, super flippy Flow, or a pop top Flow that's so overstable it's nearly unthrowable.

Ahh, yes this is very true. Gotta say, i love my pop top flow, then got a flippy gl one (ended up in pond) and didn't like it so much. It doesn't matter the brand, it's always frustrating to expect one thing and get another (that whole flow thing) but at the end of the day you gotta go with what you like and whatever works for you.

the Innova hate then? Who even knows. Maybe the same reason there's a thread on Prodigy discs costing $60 based on nothing but the word of some bad golfer who takes his putts seriously or something. Wow.

this is just plain hilarious.

I'm confused. Should I feel guilty for buying my first MVP disc today or not??

No not at all, b/c you should throw what you want & MVP makes unique quality products.

Whew!

Can't wait to get out and try my new Volt!
:thmbup:

I haven't thrown much MVP plastic but I've tossed the Volt & I gotta say the Volt is really good, hope you enjoy it.

Yeah, it's a DGCR epidemic! But the funny thing is, on here, for every person who hates something or someone, theres another person who loves it. So it all kind of evens out in the end. No manufacturer is perfect, and most manufacturers have good, solid fanbases either way. Innova and to some extent Discraft, do tend to pick up 99 percent of begginers, but they just have more market penetration.

We are lucky to be in a sport that has such diversity in equipment for how small we really are.