• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Why all the strange names?

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Seems like companies lately are doing themselves a disservice in marketing discs and plastics in such unique and different ways now that you don't even know what the heck the disc is. There are lots of adjectives used which make sense but some of the recent stuff that is coming out as well as the names people are giving some runs of discs is-- just dumb.

Share your examples of over-the-top names and marketing mishaps.

Lat/WS/DD has too many. Prodigy is up there too but at least their system is uniform.

Lucid Air Moonshine sounds like a hell of a drink and ill take a piece of that Tasty New Hand Candy for my little brother. :p

That's why their is either a numbering system, or Prodigy's naming system to give you an idea what it does. This isn't any different than it's been for the past 12+ yrs i've been involved.

Lucid = champ
Air = blizzard
Moonshine = glow plastic

seems pretty easy to me.

Um maybe the OP confused you guys.

You know what champion means-- its the best. Moonshine does not mean glow.

Last edited:
This is just as dumb as complaining about innova using two colors on their star stamps. O and moonshine means glow.

Lucid makes some sense at least, just like opto it has to do with the relative clearness of the plastic. Prodigy 400g/400s/300whatever on the other hand is just silly, it's just a number followed by a letter.

moonshine does mean glow. :p

and Sinus is pronounced 'Seenus'.

New names are always strange until it's used a few times and becomes familiar. Like listening to a new song, it sounds strange until you start to remember it.

Or looking at a new car... remember when the redesigned mustang came out? how strange it looked? now it's the early 90's models that look strange.

What this thread is uncovering that is even better than the OP is the fact that DG'ers care more about some crazy "scientific" disc rating printed on a disc in no uniform way more than they care about what the disc is actually called. LOL. Lets worry about what speed rating driver X should be yet who cares if we call it a blonde bomber in shaving cream plastic.

You can only squeeze so much juice from an orange. Eventually you're only left with the pulp. Manufacturers are dining on pulp.

I will add, however, it doesn't matter how a company chooses to describe their discs. It doesn't even need to make sense, so long as players adopt the cadence and people know what they're talking about.

You can only squeeze so much juice from an orange. Eventually you're only left with the pulp. Manufacturers are dining on pulp.
I'm sure there are boatloads of great naming conventions out there.

zenbot<-----calls new disc "boatload"

Ohhhhh rilllllly? It's not you say?!

Lucid Air Moonshine isnt a disc. . this thread-- just dumb

here it is:

Lucid Moonshine Air Judge

zo94kk.jpg

:clap: