• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why did you start playing disc golf?

How did you first try disc golf?

• Friend: A friend/family member brought me to a course/league.

Votes: 143 70.8%
  • Event: Went to a intro tournament (World's Biggest/Ice Bowl/Ace Race/etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Course: Saw a course/basket, asked what it was, and went and tried it.

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • Acquaintance: Someone told me about the sport and I gave it a try.

Votes: 20 9.9%
  • Media: I heard about it in the media and went to check it out.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Internet: Found out about it online, found a local course and gave it a try.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
I started playing DG because my wife wanted me to get a better habit than just sitting around and picking my nose and eating my boogers.:thmbup:

1977, I'm working in a small town of Fircrest Recreation Department. My lame ass boss shows up with a parks and recreation journal with an article in it about this new sport in California called Frisbee Golf or Folf. We get all excited and build a pole hole course which still exists today. I've never bothered to list it on any site because it's kind of a joke course now compared to courses today. But it was the first permanent disc golf course in Pacific Northwest! We were throwing Whamo championship frisbees 119 gr, 141 gr and 165 gr.

I ran a big tournament that was played at three sites. Our course, a local three par golf course and we made a cool object course at a large local park. This first big tournament was won by Doug Newland (now deceased) from Seattle who is currently enshrined in the PDGA Hall of Fame in Appling, Georgia.

There you have some NW disc golf history! And I've been throwing on and off ever since.

I've always been around Disc Golf. Ottumwa, Iowa installed Wildwood in 1980, and my Uncle gave me a disc in 1987. (Discraft Phantom+. Still have it) I would throw it around in a field next door, but I never went to the course and played. Don't ask me why. My cousins tried to get me to go play, in the 90's, but I still never made it out. ...even after buying a Cobra and Viper. In 1999, I was working in a gas station in Fort Worth and a guy from Edmund Oklahoma stopped in on his way home from Round Rock, Tx Doubles Tourney. When I noticed his PDGA shirt, we talked and he gave me his Tourney Disc. (Discraft XL Stamped) Well, finally in 2000 A guy I worked with gave me a Gazelle, and took me out to Z-Boaz. I loved it, but I had such a rigorous schedule, that I never made it back. Fast forward 4 years, I moved to Myrtle Beach and some friends of ours played weekly at Tupelo Bay. The conversation started with "We are playing this new sport called Disc Golf, Have you ever heard of it?" :D I made the decision, that I wasn't going to put this off anymore. Once we got a free course, East Bay, I started playing more frequently, which also coincides with when I discovered DGCR. I discovered East Bay on DGCR, and I discovered DGCR by googling East Bay Park.