• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why did you start playing disc golf?

How did you first try disc golf?

• Friend: A friend/family member brought me to a course/league.

Votes: 143 70.8%
  • Event: Went to a intro tournament (World's Biggest/Ice Bowl/Ace Race/etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Course: Saw a course/basket, asked what it was, and went and tried it.

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • Acquaintance: Someone told me about the sport and I gave it a try.

Votes: 20 9.9%
  • Media: I heard about it in the media and went to check it out.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Internet: Found out about it online, found a local course and gave it a try.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
The first time I came into contact with disc golf was while going through a park before one of my brother's baseball games last summer. Actually, at that time, all I did was see a sign that said disc golf with an arrow pointing in the direction of the course. I took a mental note of that sign and when I got to my house, I researched disc golf on the internet and decided that I needed to give it a try. The next time my brother had a game in that park, I took a frisbee to the course instead of watching the game. I played through the course once with the frisbee, then when I finished, I saw someone at the first tee that looked like he was about to play. I started to talk to him and he invited me to play a round with him. He told me to forget about the frisbee and he lent me some discs and even let me keep one. I was hooked after nailing a 120 foot shot on 18 for my first par.

A co-worker and I would get off our morning shifts at 7am and sometimes go somewhere to play tennis or to a baseball field and do some batting practice. Occassionally he played disc golf with a guy in another department and asked me to come along with. Within hours of playing my first round at Riverside (Saint Cloud), I was at the WalMart picking out my first discs (Raven and a Rhyno). This was 2004 or 2005, I cannot remember.

Played here and there with those guys but finally got my teacher's degree and moved away from Saint Cloud. What a shame I did not pick up the sport earlier. I lived there for eight years and only played the last 1.5 years there. Saint Cloud has numerous courses within ten-fifteen minutes of each other. I dragged a few friends out with me one day to play. At first they were reluctant because they had heard of the sport and did not like the idea of it (being Guts players), but they took to it immediately and by the end of the month we had formed an amateur league that is just about to wrap up its fourth year.

I was stationed in VA, in 1983. A ship mate and me were neighbors and used to play catch frisbee,you know behind the neck catches etc. One day he said he found this park where they were playing a game in the woods with frisbees. Been playing ever since.

Thank GOD I found this awsome sport!!! Introduced by friends and have run in to many old friends out on the course.

Good friends, good shots, good times, and great exercise. Being out in nature is probably one of the biggest +'s in my book.

If I could melt my plastic in a spoon and draw it up in a syringe....I'd bang it!!!

I was stationed in VA, in 1983. A ship mate and me were neighbors and used to play catch frisbee,you know behind the neck catches etc. One day he said he found this park where they were playing a game in the woods with frisbees. Been playing ever since.

Woodcutter from Fleetwood learned to play DG in the woods. you got something on your mind? :rolleyes:

One of my best friends introduced me to this amazing game. I have been playing for 4 months and I do not intend to stop. I love being out doors and the amount of walking has pretty much caused my acid reflux to cease. So it is a win, win for me all around.

I started playing in Yellowstone in 2000. My roomate had played back in Michigan and heard that there was a course in Old Faithful, where we lived. The Old Faithful course is really what hooked me more than just Disc Golf itself. Throwing over geysers and hot springs. Trying to avoid the Bison (cause they get pissed) and the Elk. It was a great way to be outside in a great place. I moved back to Pittsburgh and took about 6 years off from disc golf but my brother in law found a local league and I have been going strong ever since.

My aunt was a great force when it came to lighting up a room and starting the party. As a youngster, she got the cousins playing object golf at family picnics in the '80s with dime store lids. As the family got older and beer became involved, the sport held it's interest to me as a young man and I would introduce friends. It wasn't until the '90s having met a like-minded fellow that I found there was an actual sport based on this. I went sporadically with this or another friend to a local course (that no longer exists) and learned the value of throwing different types of discs. After picking up a CE Leopard and a Ching Tank, I took up the sport on my own when no one else would come.

After several years of progressive interest, I peaked in 2004 unfortunately the same year I suffered a crushed disc in my lower back. I hadn't played again until this year and have refallen for the sport. I guess the game has been in my blood for 25 years, but I've only really spent a few of those years with the sport. It's good to be back though. Now that I have a son of my own, I'll be sure to see it stays a family tradition.

K.

Last edited:
It all started back in 1992. We were a good band. We were travelin' all over Finland, England... we went over to London too. We were up & down the Hudson River. We were sheddin' a lot... we lived in the shed. We'd go to church where the blinkin' light was, marked by the Olympic size swimmin' pool.

Snake Anthony knew Mr. Williams. He could help you move your fine Chinese if you needed a move. He also helped us find a start of Wind. What he really helped us find was to discover that we were the best!

When Snake Anthony came out onto the road, we went to the west of Hwy 61, we didn't go to the east. You can go to the west-south, you can go to the east-north... no one ever does. They just want to go to Pheonix to find a start of Wind.

You go west of Hwy 61, you're gunna have to have tone, you're gunna have to have time, & you're gunna have to have Space. And Ohhh... Snake Anthony was not a small Japanese woman.

When Snake Anthony came out on the road w/ us we knew we were the best... the Very best!

I dig it!

i started playing as a youngn looking for some place where i could raise hell and not have people bust my balls about it. 16 and burning every chance i got.

today, i still value the solitude offered by the sport. disc golf is art. flight paths are my medium.;)

Wait... if playing disco golf is your art... then what is your disc dying?

You know... the stuff that is literally art?

The first time I played "frisbee golf" was in a public park in Columbia, SC back in the early to mid 90's or so. We were using frisbees and shooting at trees, stop sings, light posts, etc.
I did that a few times and it was cool....

Fast forward about six or seven years and I've just moved to CA. Been in town a few weeks. I meet a couple of dudes at this crappy job I was working and they told me about the game and invited me out. They took me to Oak Grove and while I did have fun, I sucked ass. You know, meat hooks. Quit the job and lost touch with those dudes. Forgot all about disc golf....

Summer 2004 I decided to quit the job of four years I had due to various reasons. My plan was to chill for the rest of the year and get a new job and start school either in the fall or early 2005. I was just gonna bum around and live off of savings. One day I was out skating around and ran into a group of dudes I knew and they had discs with them. I immediately recognized what they had and where they were going. They saw my excitement and invited me to go play.

Back to Oak Grove and more meat hooks, but this time was different. Something about the game caught my interest and I started playing ALL THE TIME. Somewhere in 2007, and right after I joined this site, some **** went down and for some reason, I just stopped going. I'd play a round or two every six months or so.

Boom, it's late 2009 and I get the DG bug again. I decide to get serious and to really work on my game, form, etc. Started playing all the time and also re-discovered this site. That's why I only have 325 or so posts but hold an ID# of 50.

Anyway, I'm hooked like the rest of you fools and I'm totally loving it!!!!

DG 4 LYPHE!

Went camping with a few friends at Richard Bong State Park about a year ago. They were talking all Friday night about playing a course at UW Parkside the next day. I thought that they were crazy because they were putting into the back of a camping chair that night.

We woke up the next morning and headed that way. I played a round with a DX Eagle only and started to get the hang of it a little. Hooked ever since...

I had recently quit drinking and my friends all thought I was becoming a real a55hole and needed a new addiction, so they drug me out to a local course.
All these years later they now know being an a55hole, is just who i really am.:(

My buddy and I were bored out of our minds and just decided to try it out with some cheap plastic frisbee discs I found in my garage. We played like crap but thought it was fun enough to go again... after that it was all down hill!:thmbup: Plus it's a pretty tobacco friendly sport which is a big plus lol

aj

My buddy got me into it, plus any reason to get out of the house and drink a boat load of beer sounded good to me. just picked it back up seriously a couple years ago.

Havnt had a drink in six months.

When I was a junior at MSU, a buddy of mine came to visit. He asked if I wanted to go with him to Grand Woods in Lansing. It was early March. It was cold. It was windy and it was drizzling. The second I let that Leopard rip out of my hand, it was magical.

Latest posts