• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why did you start playing disc golf?

How did you first try disc golf?

• Friend: A friend/family member brought me to a course/league.

Votes: 143 70.8%
  • Event: Went to a intro tournament (World's Biggest/Ice Bowl/Ace Race/etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Course: Saw a course/basket, asked what it was, and went and tried it.

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • Acquaintance: Someone told me about the sport and I gave it a try.

Votes: 20 9.9%
  • Media: I heard about it in the media and went to check it out.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Internet: Found out about it online, found a local course and gave it a try.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

StevenDodge

Vibram Company Rep
I started playing in 1987 when a cool guy named Kevin Tiernan showed me and my roommate (Jay Boller) how to play. We would play a round of disc golf as much as we could and that was a lot. As soon as I learned to throw the disc flat and straight, I was hooked. And still am!

What got you into the sport?

I started playing in 1985, pedaling my 10-speed around the northern 'burbs of Detroit I ran across Raintree Park and heard the "ching". Went over to ask the guys what they were playing and I've been hooked for 25+ years now.

Still have the first golf disc i bought at that same park a few weeks later. Got my first ace there with that SAME DISC TOO !!

Played my first round in 1993. My cousin was an avid ball golfer and was getting into disc golf. I played two rounds and stopped. I just started playing again last year, when I found a course 10 mins from my house.

I wish I still had those discs from '93, too. Talk about old school!

I played my actual first round in College, we had a course on campus and we had free access to discs, I think I only ever played one round though, and don't even really attribute that to my start at disc golf. I'm a bit of a rock climber, and last Easter a group of us headed down to Horseshoe canyon ranch in Northern Arkansas on a climbing trip, our climbing fee included free disc rentals and access to the course, I probably played 5 rounds or so there, wasn't instantly hooked, but was intrigued. Another rock climbing trip in Vegas, red rock canyon, found us interested in discing again, so I went to a sports store and bought my first disc, a dx valk to accompany the Wizard I had found. This was around Thanksgiving of last year, In less than a year my disc collection has grown to nearly 100, I'm approaching 200 courses played, I've won 2 tournaments, I try to get a round in every day if possible, if I don't I feel empty. Full blown addiction.

it was spring, i had just lost my job, had been struggling to find a new one for months, and had lots of extra hours to fill my day with. some friends took me discing one day and i've been hooked ever since. i've pretty much filled my entire summer with disc golf, playing at least 2 rounds a day mostly without fail.

My GF and I had bought a dog and I hated just walking. So I played disc golf while walking him. I still hate just walking.

Mine was about 3 summers ago my buddy's went to Western Michigan and they all decided to go play while I was done there. I've been pretty hooked since.

Guess I was sort of a late bloomer having grown up in BG, KY. Didn't start until 2004 after I quit playing soccer competitively and needed something else to do with my after school time. Got hooked cause it was cheap and there was a plethora of courses less than 20 minutes from my house to practice on.

I used to play ultimate, and one of my good friends that I played with got me into the sport. I have a feeling that's going to be the overwhelming majority here, most people I know got into it by going with a friend, I've personally got 6 people totally hooked and several others who go out casually once in a while.

1999 my Navy buddies dragged Christy and I out to Newport News Park. The next day I brought us home our first discs, 150 gazelle and a 150 stingray. Besides a 10x Gazelle and a #2 driver for Christy these were our only discs until last year.

We played maybe once a month if that in VA and when we moved to Ballston Spa NY in 02 there were no local courses at the time (Hyzer creek was just getting started, one hole at a time) so we quit but the discs were always in the car, waiting to be used.

When we moved to Atlanta in 05 we played once but played a course that was wide open and known for its windy conditions (Lenora) and did not enjoy it. We didn't realize there was other variety so we quit for a while.

We played East Roswell park one time and had fun but it didn't really bite us.

One day last year Christy said let's go play so we found ERP again and went and played and got bit BAD. The next day we decided we needed putters...then mids....then more drivers....then 100 more...hahaha.

A little over a year ago we played our first tournament...Lost in the Woods. Neither of us cashed but we had a blast. Christy threw some nasty 600 rated rounds and forever jacked her rating up (until they are finally dropped).

Fast forward 11.5 months and she is now a national champ and I am still a national chump. :)

I found out it existed when I was playing one summer in the Pittsburgh Ultimate Summer League. Then later after I became slow and pear-shaped, I took it up because I love throwing discs.

Got a $25 gift card to Dick's one year and didn't see anything I REALLY wanted, so I decided on the Innova starter pack. Played a few rounds and stopped. Then in 2008 I was camping at a state park that had just installed a course (East Harbor State Park) and brought my 148g Shark (had lost the other 2 discs by that point). Hooked.

I actually just started at the very end of august this year. I went to my favorite restaurant/brewery (North Country Brewery) for dinner. I had recently lost my frisbee and saw that they sold cool looking non traditional frisbees (golf discs) so i inquired to buy one, and he told me that they were for Disc Golf and that there was a tournament at Moraine state park that weekend and to check it out. I unfortunately had plans, but bought a disc from him anyways. Found out there was a course about 10 minutes from my house (Knob hill ), and i have been playing pretty much every day since. Played in two tournaments this weekend at Knob and Deer lakes. What a blast this game is!

I had a friend from work tell me about it a while ago. Then I started working in a different part of the office and a guy from that part of the office just got into it. So between the two of them talking about it, I had to try it out. Needless to say, disc golf has causes a couple fights between my wife and I because it has almost became an "addiction". Oh well, you take the good with the bad..... Disc Golf for the win!

I'd known about disc golf for years before I ever played. I remember when Hornet's Nest and Renny were put in back when, and always thought of DG as something I'd like to try sometime but never did until last spring. I actually started playing last spring after one of my suppliers at the bike shop started selling discs, so I ordered some, got up with a friend I knew who played, and I've been hooked ever since.

It was in the summer of '03 & I had to pick up some... errr... stuff from a buddy of mine & he said he was at Drtezka Park Discin', but I had no idea what he was talkin' about. I met up w/ him & some friends, got the stuff & tagged along. He gave me a DX Gator & said "now you have a disc, no excuse not to play".