• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do we call them holes?

Technically, our catching device is a target not just a basket which is only the bucket part of a target.
Arguing about the common use of "baskets" is as big a waste of time as arguing about calling it a "hole." I'll do it anyway. The "target" that DGA sells is called a "Pole Hole;" so the use of "hole" is just a shortened version of that. I know it's a stretch, but if we are going to get all semantic...

The target has the pole, the chain assembly and the basket attachment. Probably since what the disc generally come to rest in is the basket attachment, people just called the whole thing a "basket." It sounded better than "pole hole."

Arguing about the common use of "baskets" is as big a waste of time as arguing about calling it a "hole." I'll do it anyway. The "target" that DGA sells is called a "Pole Hole;" so the use of "hole" is just a shortened version of that. I know it's a stretch, but if we are going to get all semantic...

The target has the pole, the chain assembly and the basket attachment. Probably since what the disc generally come to rest in is the basket attachment, people just called the whole thing a "basket." It sounded better than "pole hole."

"Pole hole" sounds like a bad euphemism for female anatomy...

I think people sometimes over-think this sport/game.

Yeah they do, just jump into the latest O-A-T thread going around here!:D

I love DG and I take " MY" game seriously when I am out on the course. I push my self to the best of my growing abilities. With that said here is my two cents:

We do not need goofy words and overstated/descriptive terms to confuse people who might want to try this, and proper golf terms make you at least look legit. Common words make for a quick learning curve of the game.

I think the terminology works to help make our game easily understandable as it is a activity based on Golf.

How dumb would it be to ask someone, "Did you target out?" or "Did you basket out?" at the end of your "Target/basket designated disc throw to area?" The tee box could become the "Launch Box" or "Target acquisition, disc launch area"

I will still use Golf terms...as I was told in another thread that I don't understand science, so understanding vocabulary is not far behind :eek:.

Last edited:
This game is a derivation of golf, therefore, it only makes sense to adopt the vernacular from that already quite well established game/sport.

Even though were play with throws of a disc as opposed to strokes of a club, we still refer to gaining/losing strokes, or express penalties in terms of # of strokes... makes sense to me. I have no problem referring to the area around the basket as a "green," or referring to "pin placement." It works. What else would you propose?

yep

Drive, putt, round, par, bogey, birdie, ace....we have borrowed most rules from golf, why would the fact that some terminology has been obscounded, surprise anyone.

So why do we not use hook and slice? Was it only because early players were more creative and came up with our own words for those curves?

So why do we not use hook and slice? Was it only because early players were more creative and came up with our own words for those curves?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought terms like "hyzer" and "anhyzer" were established Frisbee terms that people like Dr. Stancil Johnson had used to describe disc flight before disc golf got big. So we stole those terms from Frisbee and stole the more golf-specific terms from ball golf.

on the 1973 whamo instructional brochure I have its right and left curve lol.

2014_06_27_10_01_34_542.jpg

.....The Disc Gobbledygook Dictionary says:

Call it a level. And then quit being pedantic.

haha I have definitely called a hole an "episode" before, "as soon as we finish this episode.. uh I mean hole" haha

But I like the idea of Levels cause every 18 is beating the game. :clap:

on the 1973 whamo instructional brochure I have its right and left curve lol.

2014_06_27_10_01_34_542.jpg

.....The Disc Gobbledygook Dictionary says:
The "Hyzer" term was first used in Dr. Stancil Johnson's 1975 book Frisbee: A practitioner's manual and definitive treatise. The term had not been invented in 1973.

Because "strokes" and "holes" leads to funnier double entendres than "throws" and "targets."
^ Best quote of this thread.

"Pole hole" sounds like a bad euphemism for female anatomy...
^ 2nd best quote of this thread.

Slice and hook refer to the angle the club face is at relative to the ball at the moment of contact... that angle determines the path/line the ball will take.

Similarly, hyzer and anhyzer refer to the angle the disc is held at as you release, which also determines its path.

I believe the reason different terminolgogy for that is due to the fact that, Ultimate already had those terms in place. While both sets of terms refer to angle at the moment of impact/release, there's something inherently different about holding a club and striking a ball and holding and throwing a disc.

If you wanna refer to grip locked* RHBH shot that goes way right into ths shule as a bad "slice," be my guest.

*Don't know about you, but I've never heard the term grip lock used outside of DG.

parked a right curve at the entrapment device on pole hole #2.

our conversations could be so much different on DGCR.

Maybe I'm the only one but, I seldom use golf terms except for par, birdie, bogey and fairway.

Let's go THROW a round. - It's your box. - I got a 3. - I got a penalty for going in the water. - Is the basket in the A or B position?

I don't remember ever being asked if I've "holed out" :gross::sick:

I think I'm going to go to my local ball golf course and try to apply some DG terms out there.... hit a hyzer flip with my 7 iron and then shout chainburgerz.... Raise an eyebrow or two.

...We do not need goofy words and overstated/descriptive terms to confuse people who might want to try this, and proper golf terms make you at least look legit. Common words make for a quick learning curve of the game.

I think the terminology works to help make our game easily understandable as it is a activity based on Golf...

Uh, most ball golf terms are about as goofy as you can get, they've just been around a long time so people accept them.

Ace
Address the ball
Apron
Birdie
Bogey
Divot
Eagle
Fore (where did THIS come from?)
Links
Par
Tee

Latest posts