• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Why does majority Dg-er's dislike gateway discs?

myroomisajunkyard

Bogey Member
I just want feedbacks. I've never thrown any gateway beside wizards. So I've been noticing that majority disc golfers doesn't like gateway discs (beside the putters!!) I've noticed gateway discs are getting bad raps when they're the player packs at local tournament, People would whine that they got it. Is it the flight or material. Evolution material isn't that shabby, I already have my set of discs and not in market for experimenting new disc so just curious who already tossed these discs and why is it gettin bad raps.
Thanks

I think because as most people will know about the putters there discs can sometime be slightly different per run. I used the Scout and the Apache at one point, but nothing seemed better then what was in the bag already.

Yeah quest, discwing, lightening, beside quest similar reason but most discs got banned bc of its oddity, gateway does have a well amount of different discs in its line up, sufficient to "be liked" but still isn't?
True about being a bit different after run by run. Didn't think of that as a factor. Mm what else

marketing/image.

the apache? the scout? eeeeh. just not quite up there on the "cool factor" rating. sorta like tab soda.

combine that with variability (look at how many people, including myself, lament lat 64's problems earlier on despite how cool their discs look) and meh. you don't have a good recipe unless you bring something newish to the table.

but i don't know if i'd go so far as to say "disliked". i could be wrong though.

I have never tried them.
Maybe there are already enough disc manufacturers in the market.

I just want feedbacks. I've never thrown any gateway beside wizards. So I've been noticing that majority disc golfers doesn't like gateway discs (beside the putters!!) I've noticed gateway discs are getting bad raps when they're the player packs at local tournament, People would whine that they got it. Is it the flight or material. Evolution material isn't that shabby, I already have my set of discs and not in market for experimenting new disc so just curious who already tossed these discs and why is it gettin bad raps.
Thanks

Why do the majority of beer drinkers dislike Pabst.

I've thrown a majority of their drivers and midranges IMHO they are good discs they fly great they will do what they are supposed to do a majority of the time. The problem is there are discs on the market that do it better. I've used voodoos since the day I started playing though. So it's fair to say their putters are on point. It's everything else that is lacking. Although if you want a driver you can throw into a hurricane and still have it go left(or right depending on handedness) then the E spirit is the way to go. Just as much beef as a stiletto or ape just more useable cause it has more glide IMHO.

I think because as most people will know about the putters there discs can sometime be slightly different per run. I used the Scout and the Apache at one point, but nothing seemed better then what was in the bag already.

Just like every other manufacturer?? I know what you're saying but this isn't just for Gateway. How many variances of Destroyers are there? How many different flights can you get out of different Strikers? How many discussions are there on finding just the right PLH & dome?
They do have some great molds. Elements are super underrated mids, Blaze, Demons, Spirits, Apaches, & some others fill their roles very nicely. I think one main problem is that sometimes Dave likes to go cheap on his plastic purchases. I think that is more of a problem than the actually molds.

Gateway doesn't come off as exciting or sexy.

Like a Fila or Sketchers to me - a brand that doesn't appeal to me...

Just like every other manufacturer?? I know what you're saying but this isn't just for Gateway. How many variances of Destroyers are there? How many different flights can you get out of different Strikers? How many discussions are there on finding just the right PLH & dome?
They do have some great molds. Elements are super underrated mids, Blaze, Demons, Spirits, Apaches, & some others fill their roles very nicely. I think one main problem is that sometimes Dave likes to go cheap on his plastic purchases. I think that is more of a problem than the actually molds.

i agree but they are unsexy which means that has to help more.

Not like other manufacturers. They mold things inconsistently on purpose; is that really even inconsistency? I hear that Dave has an "overstable cooling rack" :thmbup: He'll mold up any consistency plastic he can imagine. And Gateway is accessible, from what I hear. You can call and get a disc that's very similar to the one you already have. So I don't think they're inconsistent "like other manufacturers".

I was only ever upset about getting Gateway when I couldn't throw beaded discs without significant discomfort and I got a Wizard. Other than that, I think their plastic is excellent, and there are some really good gateway flyers. They just don't feel quite right in my hand.

their putters are awesome!!!
They have a knack for putting out super overstable drivers and that kinda pushed people away a bit. the apache is a pretty darn good driver and the assassin is dead straight. I do believe the previous posters all were on the right track. the names/marketing is a big factor in any business especially sports and hobbies.

their putters on the other hand are all awesome. love the different plastic blends and stiffness. although the wizard is similar to a few other putters out there it is not the same. the wizard is just a plain ol badass putting putter and even more badass driving/approach putter. My base plastic soft wizard has been in the bag over 5 years and gets used HEAVILY off the tee, approaches and putts and it broke in a tiny bit first season or so but has remained as stable over the last 4 years. impressive for the amount of abuse it's been thru

I don't think think Gateway is disliked by the general disc golf community. Besides Gateways putters I very rarely see anyone using any other discs. I don't think that Gateway necessarily makes bad molds they just aren't very popular. I think this is because they don't come out with new molds enough (not as much as Innova though) & their plastic options are limited especially when it comes to drivers. IMO the stamps on the discs aren't as appealing as other companies which doesn't pull in newer players like other companies do with theirs. A small part of the reason they aren't popular is the lack of top pros & pros in general. Besides Nikko I can't name any other player that"s ever been sponsored by Gateway. I feel that Gateway would do better if they got more discs on the shelves of disc shops, I can't recall ever seeing any discs besides their putters in any store.

I've thrown a bit of their stuff.

The Apache is nice.I liked the Samurai. Element is Comet like in a way so it's pretty cool. My Favorite was the Warrior. It had just the right amount of overstableness to it.

Putters are awesome by the way. I like my Nikko inspired Voodoo's the best. :thmbup:

JohnE Mcray?
Anyways, s hile I think their molds are pretty consistent, their plastic is not. That is not even a bad thing really. It is mostly the base plastic that has the varience. I have been very very pleased with the durability of my evo plastic. To me, the one thing that keeps most people away from the drivers is the feel. They just feel different in the hand. Some of their drivers fly beautifully, but do not feel as tradifional.

Evo HPP in both of it's most recent forms (the star-like and champ-like) might be the most underrated plastic on the market, nearly indestructible and feels great. In fact, the champ like HPP is the only champ like plastic I've ever liked the feel of. And outside of their putters, which are of course good, Gateway has some really good molds. The Apache, Blaze, Sabre, Demon, and Element come to mind. Also, Dave is great. Easy to get a hold of, offers great direct deals through Paypal, and will handpick the exact discs you want.

So, I guess I am saying that I have no idea why they're not more popular. In fact, I think it might be time for me to get ahold of Dave and order some more Gateway to start working back into the bag.

i cant say i truly dislike them.. just have never had the urge to throw any... i dont really have a "local" shop that sells them and dont see many local players with anything other then wizards so never had a chance to toss or check any out :\

Latest posts