• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Why don't DX logos cross over to Pro, Champ and Star?

zenbot

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Anyone have an idea why Innova doesn't put their little drawings on other types of plastic? The only exception I have is the 1st Run Cro and the occasional willy nilly rarity that comes out.

Don't get me wrong. It entices me more and more to get into dying.

I have always wondered this myself. It could just be tradition that they only have them on the DX. Chances are someone out here knows.

This might sound silly, but could it be because the DX is the lower grade of disc, and the Champ and Star are more serious discs. Most people who throw Champ and Star don't care about the stamp.

Perhaps the DX is made on a different injection molding machine?

Perhaps the artwork "press" (lack of better term) doesn't fit on all the molding machines?

Are all the different plastics used in the same injection mold? Or different physical equipment?

I do not know the answer to your question. I just have more questions.
Perhaps if we can get answers to those, it may help answer yours?

I have no idea, is my answer.

All I know is I still throw some DX (putter & roc) but the artwork is long gone.

Last edited:
Always wondered this myself...some of the artwork is cool and some is so corny.....I would love to see some of the arty stamps in star etc........I never knew what some of the DX stamps were until I stumbled upon some DX discs....Does anyone out there have a DX stamp tattoo I figured some dischead out there has a beast or perhaps a valk on their arm! Gotta be better than a tribal armband? I just hope no one has the Pegasus as a tramp stamp!

It does not seem like discraft puts as much artwork on the Z plastic either... hmmm

Yeah, maybe we can get some $$$ offers for all the disc dyers out there.
We're listening innova... discraft... latitude 64... anybody?.....
Multiple stamps for collectors....
Ithink they might be missing the boat on this one. If people collect glasses from burgerking, they'll collect anything.

I think it's a shame that they don't use the artwork in the case of, say, the Roc or the Leopard. But I'd never want to buy a Beast or an Orc with those cartoonish drawings on them. Your mileage may vary.

because DX discs are cheaper and therefore are more accessible to kids. Kids like pictures.

I might be wrong, but that's just the kind of marketing thought process a company might use.

that being said I really wish my star leopard and t-bird had a leaopard and a bird on them.

Some of these stamps crossover on rare occasions.
First Run Star Cro has the DX stamp
I have a clear Champ Rhyno with a rainbow DX stamp
Some special Nightshade Test Run Orcs had the DX stamp

Always wondered this myself...some of the artwork is cool and some is so corny.....I would love to see some of the arty stamps in star etc........I never knew what some of the DX stamps were until I stumbled upon some DX discs....Does anyone out there have a DX stamp tattoo I figured some dischead out there has a beast or perhaps a valk on their arm! Gotta be better than a tribal armband? I just hope no one has the Pegasus as a tramp stamp!

I always thought the first run star stamp would make a cool tat. Too bad I don't like tattoos.

because DX discs are cheaper and therefore are more accessible to kids. Kids like pictures.

I might be wrong, but that's just the kind of marketing thought process a company might use.

that being said I really wish my star leopard and t-bird had a leaopard and a bird on them.

plus pics are more marketable to newbies. i bought a destroyer when i first started because of the pic.:p

I am doing a dye job with a sweet transformer on my star destroyer! other than that i think its a cheaper disc so they have to make it appealing, and from what i understand its difficult to dye on... is that true?

My buddy does alot alot of dying and the pro plastic is the one that doesnt seem to like to hold, but he does majority of it all on star and it all looks pretty bad ass, and he can do some incredible work.

On the forum post though...
I have always thought the same thing that the DX was cheaper and would attract more nonserious players but the star labels do look more "professional" I suppose would be the word.

I am excited to get an answer on this for sure though.

This might sound silly, but could it be because the DX is the lower grade of disc, and the Champ and Star are more serious discs. Most people who throw Champ and Star don't care about the stamp.

I think this is probably the case.

I learned this the hard way, buying a new Wraith for my daughter - I thought, "hey, it's her birthday, get her a champ," so I did. She was really disappointed that the "Wraith" character was not on the disc.

New/Young players buy discs based on marketing - they buy what seems cool because they don't know any better. There must be a market out there directed at people who are only going to play one round of disc golf. Those people buy discs, play a round, and either lose their discs or leave them to sit in the basement forever.

To most of us (exclude the disc dying community), it doesn't matter what the disc looks like - we're concerned with the flight characteristics. Therefore, we buy what we need the disc to do - regardless of what it looks like. If I gave you a guaranteed upshot sinker from 200', but stipulated that you had to throw it with my purple disc with pink poke-a-dots, I'm guessing that you would take that hit.

To make amends to the disc dying community: they are taking discs that they care about in terms of flight, and making them look like they want them to look.

I think the logos and images are for newbies: sell discs to those only marginally invested in disc golf.

Incidentally, I still buy DX discs, especially with putters for the "stickiness" of the plastic when it hits the chains.

I was drawn to buy discs because they had a certain look, the Wolf and Eagle set I first got was a gift chosen for its looks, later I grabbed a dx Teebird, Valk, and Roc for the graphics.
I am glad I did, and I too miss the characters on the champ and star stuff.
I agree with the casual v.s. "professional" assesment, but it is a shame that the company chose for us.
I mean, I will buy a durable- rather plain looking disc. Would I rather a durable -kool looking disc, you betcha. Thats where the dye guys get paid and Innova misses out.
Just my two cents.

Back when there was only one kind of plastic and all the discs had big picture hotstamps, there used to be a lot of talk about whether the hotstamps made the discs look like toys and therefore held the sport back from being considered a "legitimate" sport. When the "professional" lines of plastic came out they had a more serious "no fun" look about them, and I always assumed it was done to make them look more serious, less toy-ish.

Back when there was only one kind of plastic and all the discs had big picture hotstamps, there used to be a lot of talk about whether the hotstamps made the discs look like toys and therefore held the sport back from being considered a "legitimate" sport. When the "professional" lines of plastic came out they had a more serious "no fun" look about them, and I always assumed it was done to make them look more serious, less toy-ish.

I bet there is a lot of truth in that theory.

personally i don't care for any of the pictures. that's why i prefer different plastic. my design preference is the stuff they put on star plastic. simple and clean.

Latest posts