• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Why no love for the beast?

It's not the driver I use the most, but I would say it is my favorite. Pro Line, Pre-Barry and 1x are all the same mold, correct?

I threw beasts for a few years. It was the only disc I seemed to loose. I finally replaced them with a RR due to getting more versatilty with that slot.

my .02

Early old mold champ: grippy/gummy perfection
Old mold champ: gradually get worse to present day new mold
New mold champ: no thanks
New mold star: only good when marked S-BST, grippy-durable-excellent and most seem to be white so also fun to dye

Early old mold champ: grippy/gummy perfection
Old mold champ: gradually get worse to present day new mold
New mold champ: no thanks
New mold star: only good when marked S-BST, grippy-durable-excellent and most seem to be white so also fun to dye

whats so bad about about the new mold in champ or star, just not a disc you prefer?

The new mold champ starting with the 2x are still good discs, but I prefer grippy/gummy opaque plastic if available like the early old mold. Then once Innova got to the flight number new mold I feel like they're more inconsistent and feel cheap. As for the star plastic, I've tried the S-BST and *BST and all S-BST seem to fly the exact same which is ideal for replacement. So yeah, mostly just personal preference.

I use a Champ Beast for long turnovers and i love it. I've tried all kinds of molds for this slot, i recently got an Amp to try out and it won't be kicking the Beast out of my bag.

i have an old rainbow stamp preflight numbers pro beast that had gradual smooth turn. i kinda compare it to a fresh new flight numbers sidewinder that were suggested plus molds (the plh came out really high making them pretty damm stable for a sw) and i could get really good results out of that. there is one hole at my local course that was perfect for snaking it in there with the beast. but i found out my sidewinders work way better for me in multiple situations.

Champ Beasts are the premium plastic discs I find the most of at my home course. I think it is a solid disc.

Last weekend my brother and I were making our second turn around Bradford and on #14, as usual, I whacked my [insert any disc in my bag] into an early tree. It's getting dark we're both rooting around in the leaves and I'm starting to think about leaving it when two guys come around the corner and we tell them to play through. Turns out one is a neighbor who we had no idea was a dger. He pulls out a disc and parks it. The obvious question (which should be, how'd you get such good form) - what disc was that? Answer: Star Beast.

I'm smart enough to know that even if I had a Star Beast I'd still be rooting around in the leaves looking for it. But I still kinda want one now...

I have a star beast that I love for tunnel shots where I can hyzer flip it and have it finish straight. It's also great for turnover shots. The only flippier disc I have is a champ Valkyrie which is one of the first discs I owned.

So why no love for Inove Champ Beasts?

It's just a boring flight path for me and since I carry a Valk and a Wraith with the same flight path, I'm going to skip a speed or two due to lack of interest. Not that I don't use the path, just that it doesn't do much for me in the way of a challenge.

Well, the Beast just singlehandedly ruined my plan for the winter. I cut my bag down to what you see in my sig because I needed to work on form and learn discs rather than spending more money. The plan has been going great. My game has been getting more consistent, I've been pushing a bit more distance and accuracy out of these discs, and my scores... Have stayed pretty much the same.

So tonight I went out to play glow and immediately broke my black light. A buddy hands me a Champ Beast with an LED, so I use that. Now, I know that I can't backhand a Champ Beast to save my life, but I've gotten some decent shots with one sidearm in the past... So I figure, why not? I proceed to set personal records on every hole that I flick it on. Dead on accuracy and I outdrove my all time best drives on two of the holes by at least 50'. On the final hole of the night I parked it 15' from a hole I never thought I would birdie. And clanged the putt. Guess I'm going Beast shopping tomorrow.

Great mix of speed and control with a Beast a lot of the players that I respect carry them around, champ or star and get em out to 450 with what looks like no effort. Someone also said its the next step to gaining distance once you smooth out your form. I like them and respect them but again don't throw them, I use a Roadrunner and a Volt instead.

Latest posts