• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why so many discs?

My comment about strength was related to the notion in an earlier post that, if a "kid" can throw 450', any adult male can throw 450'. Strength itself is only a part of distance, and a small part at that. Some kids can exceed adults in athletic ability not due to strength, but the other athletic factors they possess.
Of course if you make up your own numbers then what I said will be wrong.

My claim was that if a pre-teen possesses the strength to throw 450' (or whatever it was he threw), then it's obvious an adult possesses the strength to throw 350'. It was to dispute the claim that not everyone is strong enough to throw 350'. Strength is not keeping most people from throwing 350'. 350' does not require a great deal of arm speed. All that's required are mechanics that most anyone can learn assuming they have the proper coaching. It's just that, for some reason, in disc golf many people don't believe that proper coaching exists and the best way is to do whatever you happen to come up with yourself. Those are the people struggling to get 300'.

Jumping from 350' to >400' is huge. Few people will learn the timing required to make that jump.

Sorry to have misinterpreted your post.

What you're saying here, I generally agree with. Especially with the modifier of "most" adult males, as "any" adult male takes in some of us older players, as well as some very unathletic men.

The idea that most players, with better technique and practice, could increase their distance---yes. I'm certain I could.

The relevancy of an athletic and accomplished pre-teen to this, I'm less sure; I see this idea from time to time and get the feeling that some people---not necessarily you---who aren't around young athletes, dismiss just how much the best of them can exceed average, and below-average, adults.

I have 15 discs in my bag and each have their own uses.

My Bags

Aerobie Epic Thumber of course
Ching DX Power Legacy 170gSlightly Understable very straight mid
Discraft ESP FLX Buzzz 176gIt's a buzzz, need I say more
Discraft ESP FLX SurgeSS 175gStable straight driver
Gateway E Series Assassin 172g Anhyzer and SCurve drives backhand
Gateway Supersoft Magic 173g Longer and Windy Putts
Gateway SuperStupidsoft Magic 174g Close puts
Innova Star Cro 175g Overstable Midrange
Innova Star Destroyer 175g My Main Forehand Distance Driver
Innova Star Roadrunner 175g Anhyzers and hyzer flips
Innova Champion Sidewinder 172g Hyzer flips, rollers
Innova DX Stingray 171g Mid range hyzer flips and anhyzers
Innova Champion Teebird 175g Don't know yet, don't really like it yet
Innova Star Teerex 174g My "get out of trouble" and tomahawk disc
Innova Champion Wraith 172gStable drives and hyzers

There are a few that I have listed as hyzer flips, I use the stingray at smaller distances, and the sidewinder for longer ones. The Roadrunner is new and I'm learning it. The Assassin is very very very straight driver, when thrown hard it will anhyzer slightly then come back for a neat little S

I dont use many discs on the local courses even though I see full tourney bags being emptied on the holes.
My setup once i weed out the ones I don't use too much
Sidewinder 1 Champion 1 pink dx for water and thick brush
Wraith 1 star
TeeBird 1 star
Buzzz 1 elite z
Stratus 1 elite x
Aviar 1 dx 1 pro

But I could really get by with just a aviar and a sidewinder as I can pretty much do whatever I want with a sidewinder.
Innova super soft putter

Of course if you make up your own numbers then what I said will be wrong.

My claim was that if a pre-teen possesses the strength to throw 450' (or whatever it was he threw), then it's obvious an adult possesses the strength to throw 350'. It was to dispute the claim that not everyone is strong enough to throw 350'. Strength is not keeping most people from throwing 350'. 350' does not require a great deal of arm speed. All that's required are mechanics that most anyone can learn assuming they have the proper coaching. It's just that, for some reason, in disc golf many people don't believe that proper coaching exists and the best way is to do whatever you happen to come up with yourself. Those are the people struggling to get 300'.

Jumping from 350' to >400' is huge. Few people will learn the timing required to make that jump.
i get your points but wiggens jr. is the worst example you could pick , no pro in his right mind would teach someone his technique and it looks like he came up with that style on his own to do what worked for him so your arguement just dosnt work sorry.

if you havnt seen david wiggens jr throw look it up on youtube , also those numbers from the desert arent realistic

I carry 17 discs. I could likely get by with carrying like 4 or 5.
When I started I got a couple discs that did not work the greatest for me, so I did some research and got a couple different discs to see what works for me.

My bag:

1x Star Sidewinder 163g - My fiancee's disc
1x DX Cobra 167g - Nice controllable driver. Great for long hyzers.
1x DX Stingray 167g - My main fh driver
3X DX Leopard 1 at 167g and 2 at 170g - My main drivers
1x Champ Leopard 172g - got it to see how Champ plastic felt
1x Z Cyclone 174g- I use it as my distance driver
1x Pro-D Cyclone 170g- got it to check Discraft drivers
1x DX Eagle 150g - Great for no wind drives, but still not used to.
1x DX Valkyrie 175g-Would be my distance driver if I could throw consistently
1x DX Dragon 150g- Floater or driver for no wind
1x DX Wolf 172g - My main mid-range disc
1x DX Hydra 175g - Floater and main tomahawk disc
1x ESP Comet 175g - Just got it but will likely be my main mid-range disc
1x DX Polecat 180g - My first putter.
1x Power JUJU 174g - Main putter and got it to check out a Ching disc.

The discs I started with were the Eagle, the Valk, and a heavier Wolf. I am still not used to the Valk or Eagle. I have been hitting the practice field to see where they fit in my bag. The Wolf I replaced since I lost it practicing in my front yard.

The Wolf I replaced since I lost it practicing in my front yard.

That must have been a heck of a toss!

Right now my bag has:
1 Z Force - FH max distance
2 Z Surges - BH max distance
1 Z Surge SS - Straight distance driver
1 Proline Rogue - Understable distance driver
1 Champion Sidewinder - Above, and narrow FH flicks
3 Z Predators - Hyzers, wind, and dependable fade
2 Z Stalkers - Fairway driver
1 Champion Teebird - Stalker for the wind
1 Z XL - Slightly understable to straight fairway driver (less use with the new Stalkers)
1 X XS - Same as above until it gets sufficiently beat, then a roller
1 Z Flick - Utility
2 Z Buzzzes - Midrange
1 Z Wasp - Buzzz for the wind
3 Organic S Voodoos - Putter of choice

Why so many discs? They give you a wide variety of shots. If you practice with them, I don't see an issue.

That must have been a heck of a toss!

I threw it 100ft or so I think, but it landed in some dense underbrush.
Also, I could not look for it long since I had somewhere to go. Maybe this coming Fall or Winter I will look for it again.

I also have a DX Leopard sitting in my pond in my backyard.
After losing the second disc, I gave up practicing at my house except for putting practice.

i get your points but wiggens jr. is the worst example you could pick , no pro in his right mind would teach someone his technique and it looks like he came up with that style on his own to do what worked for him so your arguement just dosnt work sorry.

if you havnt seen david wiggens jr throw look it up on youtube , also those numbers from the desert arent realistic

I don't think he actually uses that throw for golf distance from what I've heard. I do agree that the numbers for the desert distances are inflated to some extent, but I still think it takes real skill to get a disc to ride the wind and get that kind of distance.

I generally carry 16 discs. I throw 3 discs on every round. Buzzz, Roc and Aviar. Teebird and Cyclone usually get some action. And for drivers I'll throw 3-4 different molds in a round. Is all that necessary? No, but I spent years playing with 3 discs because that's pretty much all there was. Now I really enjoy having an arsenal of different molds to throw for different lines, wind conditions, terrain etc. No disc is any good if you can't throw it where you want it but I think there is a sweet spot for just about everybody as far as number of discs/molds they carry. I know players that are better than me and throw fewer and those that throw more.

I used to carry a full bag (around 20 discs), but through losing some and just some more experience, I've found I do better when my bag has less in it. Less to think about, and more confidence in what I do end up throwing. Here's my bag currently:

Drivers :: 162 Star Beast (any drive really), 172g Star Orc (hyzers), Champ Starfire and ESP Predator (Hammers)
Fairway/Mid :: 150 Star Teebird, 175 Star TL, 169 Star TL, 165 Star Skeeter
Putter :: 175 Supersoft Black Magic

I would love to have the strength and the experience to carry and know how to throw 20+ discs, but i'm just not there yet. Sometimes I think I don't even know how to throw the discs that are in my bag, even though I only carry about 9 molds most of the time.

It depends on the course. Some people carry a lot of discs because they don't know any better. Other people carry a lot of discs because they have a wide variety of shots that they can execute and they have assigned certain discs to certain shots.

That's why I carry 15. I throw the beast 2 times a round, but it usually saves me a stroke or two, as with my gator, etc..

Latest posts