• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Windy Conditions?

adamn

I was curious about which disc to use for a tail wind or a head wind. I believe I should be using an overstable disc when throwing with the wind and I should be using an understable disc when throwing into the wind. Is this correct? or do I have it backwards...

The faster a disc is thrown, the more overstable it should be to keep it from turning over. The slower it is thrown, the more understable it should be to keep it from fading too hard and early. When one throws into the wind, the speed of the disc relative to the air is faster, so a more overstable disc is called for. Throwing with the wind, the reverse is true, and more understable is the way to go.

I've never heard that? Now however I have heard of using Overstable in the wind. I use Star Destroyers, Z-Avengers, Z-Wildcats, stuff like that. As far as Understable goes I don't throw much of that these days. I suppose if you threw one with enough hyzer it might work quite well. Makes sense at least

When one throws into the wind, the speed of the disc relative to the air is faster, so a more overstable disc is called for. Throwing with the wind, the reverse is true, and more understable is the way to go.
So it seems I have it backwards then?

I usually use a T-Rex/Destroyer in head winds.. tail winds I throw whatever I'd normally throw while trying to account for the added distance of the wind.

I too usually throw my Teerex/Destroyer into the wind, but lately it feels like this was the wrong choice of disk. I guess my throws were off then, or the wind was just all over the place and threw the discs off course.

I think the choice of disc can only do so much.. if the wind is out of control I throw low just so my disc doesn't end up 4 fairways to the left.

I too usually throw my Teerex/Destroyer into the wind, but lately it feels like this was the wrong choice of disk. I guess my throws were off then, or the wind was just all over the place and threw the discs off course.

The Teerex and Destroyer are excellent overstable discs, but they are not good wind discs.

What makes a good head wind disc is a notch or concavity of the wing.
i.e. Pred, Firebird

The Teerex and the Destroyer are "speed stable", meaning they won't flip because of too much speed and snap.

However, the two are not "wind stable", meaning they hold a line into the wind.

They are good overstable discs, but not the best choice into the wind.

As for myself, I use a Z Crush when its a mild wind, and a Z Pred when its a heavy wind.

As for tailwind drives, I use something understable and lighter, like an ESP Surge, or a Champion Sidewinder.

I use a banchee, it really depends on conditions. I am a wind vet, I live in a very windy city, but that doesn't mean squat. The wind is not constant, you need to just get out there and feel what works.

I played yesterday in 35-45 mph winds, most being left to right cross winds. I threw the Star Destroyer and a Z-Avenger. For Midrange shots I used a EliteX Wasp. I didn't have much trouble at all. I shot a 62 on a course that I normally shot a Mid 50's on. So I can't complain. I did have a few shots that got swirled around and shot down, but that was kept to a minimum. I think a lot has to do with how low you can throw in wind. As long as I hyzer my disc right I very rarely have any issues.
If you live anywhere close to Louisville and ever get the chance, come play Charlie Vettiner Park during the spring or fall. You will see winds like you've never seen before. I thought White Park in Bowling Green was bad till I started playing here. However playing at CV daily has greatly improved my game and scores. Even on a calm day shooting a 54 is incredibly hard. Only the top 10% of players could shoot this good at CV. Most scores are around the high 60's to mid 70's! It will surely improve your all around game playing here!

First time in (really) windy conditions...

My son and I played the new course in Sedro Woolley last weekend - HOLY COW - the wind was ripping and my disc was all over the place - kinda frustrating, but that's the name of the game - an it didn't help that it's a "risky" course - many holes are surrounded by killer thickets of blackberries - one write-up on this course says bring a machete - they weren't kidding :eek:

Anyway, throwing my Beast into the wind, it would just flip over and die... sadly, the most overstable disc I had with me was a DX putter... hahaha

Yep - my son (7 years old) out drove me on the next few holes...

thats where the roller shot comes into play make that thing turn over quick and watch it right through head/tail wind side wind a little different story

the wind crys "BOGEY!"

Understable with a tailwind, overstable with a headwind. However, disc choice is only 1/3 of the challenge.

The next time it is windy, don't play a round but instead find an open field and throw - against the wind, with the wind, and crosswinds. Playing in the wind, I "disc down" and lower my expectations. A shanked driver in the wind can easily add strokes. An errant upshot or putt will do the same.

On the flip side, you can also use the wind to your advantage. Just think about the flight of the disc in relation to the wind direction. Beware of exposing the underside of the flight plate to a headwind when putting! Sometimes it is better just to lay it up under the basket for par rather than hit the bucket and have it blow/roll away and take par+.

I really like the Esp Predator for a strong head wind (it's overstable rating is 2.5) and for tailwind i throw a esp surge thats beaten in really well so its become understable. You may want to try a beast, I have seen them go the distance in a tailwind also.

Come to Kingman for tasty wind....

....plenty of wind down here in Kingman. Our courses play well with it or without it however, as holes go in all directions. Practicing in wind is a good idea. I have been stuck in wind during tournaments before and it helps to know how to keep it safe in such gusty conditions. Playing safely and effectively in wind, your score should only be 6 - 9 strokes worse (on average) on an 18 hole course. Sure do love those perfectly calm days, though! Fore!!

Brandywind DGC

I thought I've played in all windy conditions but the winds at Brandywine Creek State Park, just north of Wilmington, Delaware, are brutal. The park is situated around 600 feet above sea level, not one of the highest elevations I've ever played but the windy conditions will throw any good round out the car window. The openness of "Brandywind" really takes over the disc. You're best off throwing this course early morning or late evening.

screw the wind it blows literally lol! no but ive played in some really windy conditions been everywhere from 60 mph to 10 and no matter how much wind you have youve got to learn to play it right and use it to your advantage i know it can be frustrating on windy days but stick around and throw a couple extra holes to try and figure out the wind trust me it works and if you can get the hang of wind your game on a windy deay is just another stroll through the course! good luck out there boys and remember the wind can be your friend and worst enemie!

In a headwind I love a Star Kite. Just add a touch of hyzer on the throw so it won't turnover and it glides forever. In sucks in a tailwind.

In a tailwind i like my Wraith.