• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Disc golf hurt or help

pmorgan1214

Eagle Member
I was wondering if anyone knew if playing in the winter hurts or helps. First off if you live in a warm state you dont count. I was wondering if having more clothes will mess your form up when you go to just jeans and a t shirt/ shorts and a tshirt.

I can tell right now my form has changed since i started playing in cold weather. i have normally 3-4 layers on and i have to keep my arm more away from my body compared to closer due to less constriction.

The extra layers in the winter aren't great to negotiate with, but its the lesser of two evils as opposed to not playing for an extended period of time. You'll be better off by Spring if you keep on throwing, even if all you can get in is some field practice.

i'm in MN. at first i sucked. i was angry and felt it was dumb. now i'm finding that my max drives are at or better than what they were in the summer. it isn't as easy. it's muscle memory and keeping those god damn teepads shoveled and broomed so you can plant properly. if you can't, say goodbye to any semblance of consistency IMO.

i wear a base layer thermal bottom, then jeans. wool carhartt socks. redwing insulated boots. 2 thermal tops, one fleece and a hoodie over that when it's cold. today i only wore three layers, played two rounds at kaposia park. i stay warm enough and i played on saturday and sunday when it was like 6 degrees in the morning with 20-30 mph winds. handwarmers are a necessity as are mittens, but with two thermals and a fleece on . . . i didn't feel bulky at all. OH!!! almost forgot, NEED THE HEAD WRAP. don't care if it fogs my glasses sometimes, cover your frickin' face! it will keep you so much warmer if you put a hat on top of that.

my form has gotten better as i've continued to play. i've figured some things out. throwing farther and more consistently than i ever did before. and when the summer comes around i think i'll be pleasantly surprised, throwing better than i'd ever thought i could.

I believe playing in the winter is very beneficial. For me it helps work on my touch game and helps with decision making because you can't go big as easy and you can see how the safe route works. After last winter I noticed that I had started generating more snap and added a significant amount of distance once everything was free of snow. When I play in the winter I wear a thermal long sleeve, a tighter sweatshirt and a warm vest. I am usually wearing shorts under wind breaker pants and thermal socks as well. Mittens for the hands, a hankercheif for the face and a hat to finish it off. I really like the vest because it keeps my core warm and my arms free.

I have to believe that winter golf helps my game, otherwise I stop playing in the winter, and I wouldn't want to stop playing this game, so I'll keep playing all winter long no matter the conditions.

When I play in the winter I wear a thermal long sleeve, a tighter sweatshirt and a warm vest.

I got a vest specifically for disc golf this year, best purchase I've made for disc golf yet! :hfive: Well that and the Zippo Hand warmer.

This is my first winter of DG and I've made improvements even since october, so if I didn't play I would imagine that'd be the exact opposite. Also I live in Jersey, so its not as bad here as the midwest/ northeast is for you guys!

I don't have much of a choice as work keeps me busy May-Oct. I do find it a bit of a necessity to warm up more than in summer before throwing hard drives in the winter. I time my playing with better weather and, as its the off-season, rarely have to duke it out with crowds of any sort. I camped out at Whistler's Bend last Oct. and had the course entirely to myself on a crisp, sunny weekday morning.

I'll layer polypro and fleece, and add cargo pants if its brushy/stickery. A hat of course, glove for the off hand and handwarmer in the throwing pocket if below 30*.
I like a vest too, but Jan-Feb. it seems to get in the way of my pull-through [damn you, holiday pigouts!].

I was wondering if anyone knew if playing in the winter hurts or helps. First off if you live in a warm state you dont count. I was wondering if having more clothes will mess your form up when you go to just jeans and a t shirt/ shorts and a tshirt.

I can tell right now my form has changed since i started playing in cold weather. i have normally 3-4 layers on and i have to keep my arm more away from my body compared to closer due to less constriction.

I live in a "warm state," but that has no bearing. North Carolina was just hit with an albatross of ice and people are freaking the F out. All good though because I'm from Iowa and this stuff is just another day at the office. I would advise staying off the sidewalks for anyone driving in SE NC for the time being, however...

That said, you will throw differently with layers. Form is off, but you're warm, so don't complain. Hit the field, figure it out, and deal with it. It's NORTH America for a reason.

The biggest thing is: Your discs will now fly differently so you need to compensate for that. Discs that were flippy before....yeah, not so flippy now. Get used to it.

Good luck, brother. Get you some hand, feet, and body warmers....Mother Nature is a B...

Last edited:
I'm also a warm-stater, but.....

It's hard to believe that anything involved in cold-winter play would mess up your game more than an extended layoff, which is the only alternative.

hmm. I see my throwing is different now than it was in warmer temps. i cant get the reach back. however i do notice distance is not as much. due to more layers and cold discs. I'll keep on playing but i will be moving to a warmer state here in a few months. so ill be able to play in jeans and a hoody during the winter.

Well, after playing Cottage Grove a couple weeks ago and a few holes at Acorn today I've given up on winter disc. Totally brought me down. It was more frustrating than enjoyable with the snow pants with jeans and winter coat. Plus the ribbons I used messed with the flight pattern...but no chance I could find them without ribbons.

I usually play any chance I get, and an inch or two of snow was manageable earlier this year, but at this point of the winter with knee high snow and mostly sub-zero temps I have to say it's hurting me.

I dont play winter golf. I am not young anymore. I am also not going to go out in subzero temps. I have my practice basket set up in my basement and putt everyday.

Being not so graceful, I am not willing to risk a slip and fall that may injure me. I also feel that changing my form for winter golf would be more detrimental than beneficial.

dont expect much. one, maybe 2 step throws. i wear big boots on purpose so a normal runup is out the window. the less you have to think about the better. beasts, starfires, teebirds, firebirds, buzzzs, putters. get a feel for the wind or the air and throw accordingly. preconceptions mean nothin.

Minnesota winter has been the ultimate Biotch this year. It just snowed like 6 inches heavy, winds, cold as F the other day, icy roads....****s no joke...theres like 4 different layers of snow all 5-8 inches, and its a beast out there.......but Yes, Winter golf is good for you. You have to concentrate on different things which you take for granted in spring, like having footing. so focusing on the upper body and your release more is going to help you, even tho the comfort, and range of motion is going to be different.

I live in Colorado. Lot of good days to play. My biggest issue is not being able to play rounds during the week. Damn sun! I feel like I'm in a better rhythm if I can play rounds more than once or twice a week.

i throw RHFH so layers dont affect my form too bad.
the biggest things i run into in winter golf is ice(which i solved by carrying some yaktrax) and wet discs(solved that by carrying a plethora of towels as well as climbing chalk)

love me some winter disc. no summer gomers and everyone who is there actually gives a real **** about the sport.when the temps drop its pretty easy to find out who the dedicated throwers are your area

i throw RHFH so layers dont affect my form too bad.
the biggest things i run into in winter golf is ice(which i solved by carrying some yaktrax) and wet discs(solved that by carrying a plethora of towels as well as climbing chalk)

love me some winter disc. no summer gomers and everyone who is there actually gives a real **** about the sport.when the temps drop its pretty easy to find out who the dedicated throwers are your area

Throwing in the winter doesn't mean u care more or less about the game. Just like me playing in the winter makes me better for the game. Lots of great players and ambassadors (imho) don't play in winter. Many reasons. Family, work or just a refresher. Either way, when u play doesn't affect your love for the game. Winter just shows the crap you'll put up with...ie wind, snow, cold, crappy footing, etc.

Latest posts