• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Wizard or Judge?

The Wizard is my primary putting putter (RFF's, chalky SSS, Eraser...depending on what's feeling right on any given day). I do also have a Judge (classic soft). I can be comfortable with either, both excellent putting putters. They are definitely not the same disc, but both are worth a look.

Some silliness abound. Wizards go straighter and glide more than the Judge? Newp. Both great putters though I suggest trying both.

+1

I putted with wizards for a while, and they really are great discs. Just like the judge better. This is just my opinion, but what I like better about the judge is it seems to hold a line more consistently outside the circle. Its a little lower profile with a nice bead (cleaner releases) and it doesn't have the as much tail end drop off.

I got a Glow KC Pro Aviar from a tournament.

To me, it feels exactly like my Medium (i.e. illegal) Wizard. Get a a stiff Wizard (twss) and try it out.

They're very different discs.
Interesting. Not sure I could name two more similar discs with different names. In fact, I know of plenty discs with the same name that are far more different.

I like them both the same for the most part. Judge now used for mostly upshots though.

Honestly if you like KC avairs , Check out an Icon Clutch. I actually decided to ditch my Wizard and my Avairs I had for a pair of these Clutchs. The firmness of Icon plastic is perfect for putting and these things fly super awesome and almost exactly like my seasoned KC avair

Honestly if you like KC avairs , Check out an Icon Clutch. I actually decided to ditch my Wizard and my Avairs I had for a pair of these Clutchs. The firmness of Icon plastic is perfect for putting and these things fly super awesome and almost exactly like my seasoned KC avair

Do they have a big bead?

KC Pro Aviar = everyday putting.
Wizard = wind putting/upshots/drives

Problem = solved.

The problem is the cost of the KC Pro Aviars I love. I like black 12x San Marinos. A new one is gonna cost upwards of $30. I bought 4 X-out Wizards last night for $27.00. That = problem solved :)

I have tried every putter there is known i think but i always find my way back to a wizard. I am throwing the Black SSSS wizards right now. They are not as flimsy as my SSS's but are a softer feel. Right now I have a 2 SSSS's, 2 SSS's, 1 Gummy SSS, a hard SS and a medium wizard. From everything I have seen they all putt just about the same. In my bag I carry two SSSS's and the hard SS. I use the SSSS's as my main putters and the hard SS for upshots.

I do have a first run judge that I bought a while back but i just can't see it replacing my wizards.

The problem is the cost of the KC Pro Aviars I love. I like black 12x San Marinos. A new one is gonna cost upwards of $30. I bought 4 X-out Wizards last night for $27.00. That = problem solved :)

4 misprint judges will run you close to the same. ;) Just saying. Try both. Wizard is an amazing putter and so many like them but a lot of those same people who like them go for the judge because they are so close to the same but the judge is like a wizard you've perfectly beat in for six months and it's slimmer in the hand. That was a mouthful.

4 misprint judges will run you close to the same. ;) Just saying. Try both. Wizard is an amazing putter and so many like them but a lot of those same people who like them go for the judge because they are so close to the same but the judge is like a wizard you've perfectly beat in for six months and it's slimmer in the hand. That was a mouthful.

I'm not sure I want a straight putter though, unless I'm jump putting. I play the fade quite a bit when putting, but not enough to warrant the need for something like a P2 stability. I have a few Judges already, just never have them much time. I may use one for jump putts.

Do they have a big bead?

If you had a KC Avair and a Clutch right next to each other they would be nearly identical. The only thing with the clutch is its a hair more US than a avair which I personally like because its a super straight flight path. If you do go with these cheapest place ive found them is Marshall street. Even with my 8% discount at DGC its still more expensive there.

I'm not sure I want a straight putter though, unless I'm jump putting. I play the fade quite a bit when putting, but not enough to warrant the need for something like a P2 stability. I have a few Judges already, just never have them much time. I may use one for jump putts.

Straight in flight but not absent fade. That's what I think of them at least. I'm a hyzer/fade spin putter. Give them a shot again for driving, jump putts, and in the circle. If they don't find a role in one of those you can eliminate the judge altogether and be confident in your choice. I flip flopped between the judge and my old wizards for two months. It was only when I stuck with the judge long enough did it give me the confidence to move on from the wizard. Haven't looked back since.

Haha clutch and aviar don't look anything alike

Judge has a hair less hss IMO. For putting they might have a hair more glide but I'd bet they're similar inside the circle

Wizard is more HSS both when throwing and putting imo
Judge has a lil more HSS turn to it but better glide and speed.
Similar LSS.

I personally prefer the Wizard, more plastic and better choices, available at any tournament you go to(lots and lots of tourny stamps out there!), and more reliable in the wind. I use mine as an upshot disc and love it for that role. I almost forgot the best part, ITS CHEAPER! (buy direct from Gateway and be very happy)

If you had a KC Avair and a Clozer right next to each other they would be nearly identical. The only thing with the clutch is its a hair more US than a avair which I personally like because its a super straight flight path. If you do go with these cheapest place ive found them is Marshall street. Even with my 8% discount at DGC its still more expensive there.

I fixed that for you.
Clutch = Magnet

I don't think Legacy plastic is very good when it is wet or cold. I find it loses all its grip in either of those situations. the original Icon blend is awesome in all conditions but they don't seem to be using that blend anymore.
Neither.

Get yourself a Latitude 64 Spike. :D

why? what's your reasoning in the statement

It depends on what you like the feel of. i have wizards that are super firm but i love the classic plastic a lot more. If i didnt have 7 wizards that were exactly the same i would probably switch over the the judge.

Interesting. Not sure I could name two more similar discs with different names. In fact, I know of plenty discs with the same name that are far more different.
Please let this madness stop! The Judge is NOT a Wizard. Period. Apparently just because a disc is round and has a big bead, it's a Wizard. :rolleyes:

The Wizard is longer with a harder fade. MAYBE it's slightly more HSS, but they're both pretty much the same IMO. The Wizard has a slightly narrower bead than the Judge and definitely has a lower profile. The Wizard has a rounded nose compared to the bullet nose of the Judge. The Wizard has more glide than a Judge.

Latest posts