• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Wizards

I've never heard it put this way before, and I'm intrigued. Can you elaborate a little on how the classification is linked to the material blend? Do they just have certain plastics that are tied to an SS or SSS or whatever rating, no matter what?

I'm not an expert, but I use wizards, and have felt up a lot of them.

Soft is a type of rubber. S, SS, SSS, SSSS, etc. are all soft blends of different textures, I believe. I don't think "super soft" means "super flexy". I'm pretty sure it has to do with grip. I'm not sure if RFF is a unique, or just another classification of soft. Eraser and Chalky are 2 different blends of rubber; and they come in varying degrees of firm. HPP is another blend, and is their higher end plastic. It also comes in different amounts of grip and firmness.

Someone said medium was illegal, someone said gateway was just asked to stop making it. The official position is that if your putter passes the flex test, it's legal. If it doesn't, it isn't. They haven't revoked any approvals as far as I know. Also, I don't know of any tournament that has a flex test on site.

All the ssssssss don't seem to matter when talking about, or when ordering
You just need to fondle them
I like my eraser magics and wizards
My wife uses glow magics.

if you prefer a disc without the bead. the warlock (approach disc for me) is money. imo same as a wizard w/o the bead/. I also prefer the gateway magic for putts.

I just picked up my first Wizard...a black RFF. Can't wait to get out and mess with it. I've been using a Grip Spike, but it doesn't always hold the chains like I'd want.

So why change molds? Why not change plastics?

I had $24 in PIAS credit after cleaning out the garage. Got an RFF Wizard, SSS Voodoo, and an used San Marino Star Roc, because I couldn't find anything else that floated my boat. If I don't like it for putting, I'll see if I can find any other uses for it, or trade it off. Win-win.

I am a fan of the RFF Wizards. I have three that are so well seasoned that I can taco them with no effort. I also have two brand new ones that I can hardly bend...so I'm hoping that they break in just like the others!

I am a fan of the RFF Wizards. I have three that are so well seasoned that I can taco them with no effort. I also have two brand new ones that I can hardly bend...so I'm hoping that they break in just like the others!

Mine is extremely bendy off the shelf.

its a shame i went to MST to find a super floppy RFF wizard like the white ones when they first came out and fondled all RFF and SSSS and none were really softer than SSS. As a reference by floppy i mean vibram soft/blowfly

One of the reasons I like Wizards is their "inconsistency". I have ~15 of them from S to SS to SSS to RFF to Eraser. All the same weight. I agree with Dan, the "softness" designation seems more related to surface texture. With my current arsenal, I can always pick a couple with the perfect grip for the day's conditions (cold and dry to hot and sticky). Most times it's either a Soft or SS.

Like you I switched to Wizards from Yetis. To me, the Yeti Pro plastic is most similar to my SS's or Erasers. Still love a Yeti as a driving putter; they're pretty darned good as a putting putter, also.

my two RFF's are softer and flexier than discrafts Soft X, with a chalky feel. not alot of fade with these babies...

I just got both my Wizards in today's mail. Man, these things feel good in my hand. Can't wait to try them out tonight on the course. :D :thmbup:

I got a chance to try them out and man do these things feels good. I can see them taking off a few strokes once I get a little more used to them :thmbup: :D

Gateway's "Soft" classification is different than everybody else. There's refers to material blend whereas everyone else refers to firmness. That leads to all the "inconsistent" talk about them. If you like one of the Wizards you've gotten and want to continue with them, I would contact Gateway directly, explain to them exactly what you want, and buy 10 of them.

As you use your Wizards, they'll soften and really start showing their true selves. I've had SSS Wizards that are firmer when new than my Softs. As I used the SSS, it started softening and truly started "feeling" like a SSS.

I've had the same experience. I tend to seek out "firm" SSS Wizards for putting, because they are stiff enough to prevent bounceouts, and tend to be very tacky and grippy. The black ones tend to be chalky and extra grippy.

I've had the same experience. I tend to seek out "firm" SSS Wizards for putting, because they are stiff enough to prevent bounceouts, and tend to be very tacky and grippy. The black ones tend to be chalky and extra grippy.

I like the chalky blacks and stocked up on them when I first found Wizards, but I think my favorite blacks are the velvets. I have 5 that are unstamped, and they're just amazing.

I finally settled on the porcelains so I putt G9i's now, though.

Latest posts