• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizards

bigbeano

Bronze level trusted reviewer
In risking looking like an amateur/newbie, what's the hubbub about with the Gateway Wizard discs? I can't find any in stores around here (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN) to pick it up, feel it, etc. On that note, there's got to be a decent disc golf store around here somewhere; anybody know where?

And my apologies, I just realized I posted this to the wrong forum; I guess I am a newbie after all... I don't see a way to delete it

what's the hubbub about with the Gateway Wizard discs?

they are a big bead putter like an innova kc/jk aviar or discraft challenger/focus. gateway makes a wide variety of plastics, from brick firm to buttery soft. the only problem is that they are often marked inaccurately, so you really need to buy them in person or from someone who is familiar with the brand. also, if you find some that you like from a particular retailer - buy as many as you can afford! gateway is very inconsistent from run to run so you might not find more that feel 'exactly' like yours for a while.

they are a big bead putter like an innova kc/jk aviar or discraft challenger/focus. gateway makes a wide variety of plastics, from brick firm to buttery soft. the only problem is that they are often marked inaccurately, so you really need to buy them in person or from someone who is familiar with the brand. also, if you find some that you like from a particular retailer - buy as many as you can afford! gateway is very inconsistent from run to run so you might not find more that feel 'exactly' like yours for a while.
100% correct!!!! but once you find the right one, the wizard is a great putter. I like the Stupid Super Soft myself.

95% of my shots 250' and in are taken with a Wizard. I carry 3 of them in my bag.

I guarantee Gotta Go Gotta Throw will have Wizards, and discs from every other manufacturer.

It is right off 169 and 55.

They've got banker's hours... it'll be hard to get up there but I'll have to give it a shot someday. Thanks for the tip.

I talked to Blake today at GGGT about wizards for a stint. Seriously, call ahead of time and see if he's going to be in to chew the fat about Wizards with you. Easily worth your time.

GLong, thanks for the info that was exactly the kind of knowledge I was looking for. I'll have to see what that Gotta Go Gotta Throw store has in stock as they definitely sound like something I should have in my bag...

the 'Feel'

My first experience with the Wizard was when my GF accidently left hers at my house (Super-soft Wizard). I picked it up & it felt like buttah. It was soft & grippy. They stay soft even in cold weather. It felt great! My first putt with it went right into the chains! Easy! Man, what a great putter! I told her "hey I wanna keep this putter". She whined that it was her disc & that I should go buy my own. The very next day I contacted Disc Golf Center http://www.discgolfcenter.com/ & bought 5 max weight eraser orange SS wizards. This was a few years back. I've lost 4 & I am down to one left :(.

I dont know much about there stuff since im very new to the sport,,,but ive been emailing and chatting with Dave Mac alot lately he seems farily easy to get ahold of..i guess it does help i live close to the shop as well. I have my first wizard on the way and he asked me if i wanted some free lessons. There getting ready to start building a new course and said i could tag along and help if i wanted. I can try to drop them a line about your wizard issue if you like?

Just ordered a ss wizard since I heard so much about them on the forums. I traditionaly use a yeti but I feel like its time for a change. They should be at the house tomorrow so ill bring It out in Sunday

1. Wizards are great for putting and driving.

2. If you are on Facebook like their site:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gateway-Disc-Sports/337487547954
You can get some special deals straight from the factory! 5 discs for $40 deal...

3. Although others may offer great suggestions and advice, I'd rather approach this man directly (or one of his staff)...Talk with Dave McCormack the owner of Gateway Disc Sports: (He answered my questions via email the next day!)

David McCormack
Owner Gateway Disc Sports
2661 Metro Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63043
Office 314-487-5204
[email protected]

www.gdstour.com
www.gatewaydiscsports.com
www.gatewaydiscgolfdirect.com

I've got a gateway magic high performance polymer (evolution plastic). I love the thing. Fits in my hands perfectly and nice and rubbery without being floppy. Takes a beating too. I was looking at a wizard the other day, and the plastic didn't feel the same. Might be gateway inconsistency, might be because it was a heavier weight (i throw a 165g putter). Anyway, I'd hold the thing in your hand before you buy it.

The Wizard is my favorite disc. I have tried a SSS Wizard. It was very soft and I made some great throws with it. But I ordered a Organic Wizard and I like that even better. It is difficult to find them in the flexibility you prefer, as stated above. The Organic ones aren't even marked firm, medium, or soft. I prefer the softs, myself. My tactic was to find a seller on Ebay and ask him if he had any he would consider soft. I have a couple of nice ones now, 174s.

Do you guys use the wizard magic divots on the top of the disc for thumb grip. My wizard s just came And with a little dust on it was a little slippery

Latest posts