• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wondering which driver to get?

The Bard

I'm looking for something in-between at Valkyrie and a Sidewinder for max d. I throw about 300-325 w/a Star 167 Sidewinder.

The Star 174 Valkyrie I've thrown seemed to fly a little too overstable. The Sidewinder is just a little too understable.

Doesn't have to be Innova, just using those as a reference. I'd prefer to stay away from DX-like plastic if possible so I can keep relying on the disc for awhile. Suggestions??

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would say either try a 175 Sidewinder or a 165-168 Valkyrie. Especially if you like the way those molds are feeling in your hands.

Also you could stick with that Valkyrie a little longer and it might beat into something really nice for you if it is only flying slightly overstable at the moment.

I've thrown a couple Star Valks that were pretty overstable when they were new. Beat it up by whatever means necessary and then see what it does for you.

2nd for a lighter Valk.

I love understable discs, in my bag right now I've got 3 valks (167g, 175g, unknown, but it feels light and is really flippy), 2 sidewinders (172g, and either 150g or 156g) , and a 165 wraith that's ridiculously flippy. All are champ because there's a lot of lava rock around here. Newness and weight seem to be the biggest determinant in stability.

The most stable of those listed would be the new-ish sidewinder. I've only been throwing it for a month, so I haven't gotten to beat it in. It's 172 grams, pearly pink, and acts much more like a viking than a sidewinder or even a valk.

I've got a 167 valk that I've been throwing for 6 months or so, and it is sweet. The only time I can't throw it is into a stiff headwind. I BH and FH it, and so long as I don't roll my wrist or torque the hell out of it, it holds a line for 350' with relative ease.

I found the Z Wildcat to fly very similar to the valk. It has a lower profile, so it feels a little different in the hand, but its a sweet disc. I really wish they didn't stop producing it.

I was actually just about to ask about the Beast and then saw the reply! Haha. I had a Pro Beast (can't remember the weight) and it seemed to do well. I only had it a couple of days using because I lost it soon after. So I'm not really sure how well it was consistently. Any thoughts from others on the Beast?

If you don't want to change the weight of the sidewinder or valk, then i say go with a beast. I would try to stay away from the pro beast because a few hits and the beast will become too flippy. Get a star beast in the low 170s

I don't know I think if the Valk is overstable for you the Beast would act even more overstable for you.

A heavier champ sidewinder might work. Sidewinders are awesome. Valks are great too though. I'd say somewhere in the range noted below in possibly Pro plastic for a little less stability. The stars are great when they break in, but if you don't have a really rough course then the Pro would beat in quicker and still hold up a while. I think the Pros have a good feel to them also.
I would say either try a 175 Sidewinder or a 165-168 Valkyrie. Especially if you like the way those molds are feeling in your hands.

Also you could stick with that Valkyrie a little longer and it might beat into something really nice for you if it is only flying slightly overstable at the moment.