• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

workout

schrot42

This is the workout I've been doing to stay in shape with no equipment other that a pull up bar.
1. Pull ups with knee raise5sets of 5
2. Pushups 5 sets of 5
3. Bodyweight squats 3 sets of 10
4. Pistol squats 2sets of 15
5. Planks 30 seconds 3 times
6. Wall sit 30 seconds 3 times
7. Russian twist 30 seconds 3 times.
8. Lunges. 3 sets of 10.
Anything else you guys would recommend?

P90X

Break down and try this !

You need some weights or power bands , but there's so much more than trying to be buff .

I hate the yoga , it takes an hour and a half !

I can really see changes in the stretching and that may be the key for disc . And maybe the yoga , if you have watched the Feldberg putting video .

I've been on and off it and if you want to be buff ,the diet is what it takes . I like my beer and I deserve it ! It may be time to start again , mostly because I watched the Feldborg putting video last night and my balance isn't on game for Borg putting .

Good luck !

Exercise

I agree with the previous statement that p90x is a great video series. I think what I have learned from that series is to use many of the exercises you listed to really focus on core muscle groups and to work on them simultaneously. Also they do focus a lot on Yoga which can really help with balance, flexibility and core strength. So even if p90x is not for you I would still look into a yoga video to alternate with your current work out. Anyways any exersises that help with core muscles, flexibility and balance will really pay off on the disc golf course.

P90X is awesome and will really bring results, especially if you follow the diet plan. I started a paleo diet about 5 months ago and have been doing Krav Maga and a "fit to fight" program for a year and a half. Never felt better. Core strength and flexibility definitely increased, and the "explosive" techniques of Krav have really helped with late acceleration and timing in general.

If you have a school track or anything nearby I would go do 40 yard sprints and then suicides. Eat right, which is a whole other reply for me. burning fat and eating right are 2 main things right there then put on some muscle. Fit and Ripped bro

Another vote for p90x, great workout.
I'm also a big fan of running, well actually I f*ckin hate it but the results are great. Especially if you live near sand. I'm 2 minutes from lake Michigan so I do my running in the sand dunes. Add some light ankle and hand weights and you'll be a lean mean birdie machine in no time.
Plus whenever you see sand you'll finally know what it means to feel pure hate :)

Man i was in the best shape of my life during P90X about 2 years ago. It's a tough as crap workout if you aren't in mediocre shape first, but man it made me feel awesome....i guess i should really get back into it....hmm, will this be my motivation to do it?

I'm also a big fan of running, well actually I f*ckin hate it but the results are great.

Ha, this is SO true for me too. The other bonus for me is the trail I run on is loaded with nice "scenery" come spring/summer. That's why I started last week, so I am not heaving and dying on the trail, but able to "look in shape" while perusing the "scenery".

Here's another vote for P90X. As has been said the workouts are difficult, they're not impossible by any means but they are hard.

Also the hardest thing about P90X is sticking with it. I'm on week 1 of month 2. And I'm down 7 pounds from starting and I'm starting to see some results like better definition in my arms chest, and legs (no abs yet I'm still rocking some chub) But I do feel strong and it's helped me with ice hockey.

This is my second time doing the workout. Last time I was doing it I really noticed improvements in my golf game mainly around driving and control. I haven't played golf since I've started this round of P90X but hopefully it warms up soon.

Insanity is better in my own personal opinion.. P90X is great no doubt but Insanity is well.. ya know.. insane

I have a friend who feels this way also. I think Insanity is better for cardio/endurance. P90X is better for gaining strength.

If you stick with any work out program that's 45-60 minutes per day you'll improve your physical fitness. So if you want to do P90X or Insanity or Jazzercise it doesn't matter. If you're elevating your heart rate and working hard for that amount of time every day you're better off than doing nothing.

P90X.

My recommendation is that even if you can't do all the exercises, watch the tape. It's all about developing routine. Take the time to do as much as you can do while watching the tapes. When they do exercises, do as many as you can, but instead of focusing on matching their reps, do 15 compared to their 25 reps (at first), and force yourself to participate in each exercise, even if you're only doing it 60% of the time. I think it's all about developing routine.

Just started P90X week 3 and the pain has finally let up. I haven't been on the course since I started so I'm excited to see a difference in my game. Like it was said above, the yoga video SUCKS! Stick with it though and enjoy the pain free life.

Assuming you are relatively fit, you could also try some more targeted strength training for some of the major muscle groups used in the throwing motion. Things like dumbbell rows (for lats/shoulders), wrist rolls (for forearms and grip strength), and back extensions added to your routine will help strengthen some more of the major players used for throwing. I would also add in about 15-20 minutes of plain ole stretching too. No point in doing all the rest of the stuff if you're too stiff to actually throw in the end of it all.

What about pull ups? Hits lats, back,core,(especially w/ knee raise) grip strength forearms, shoulders and chest. Just saying. Stretching is something I will add into my routine. Appreciate your advice

What about pull ups? Hits lats, back,core,(especially w/ knee raise) grip strength forearms, shoulders and chest. Just saying. Stretching is something I will add into my routine. Appreciate your advice

Pull-ups are definitely good for all of those things, i was only thinking of other things you could add in on top too.

In fact, another thing you could try if you like pull-ups would be to use a hangboard for doing your pull-up exercises. A hangboard is a simulated rock-climbing board that you put over a doorway and can do pull-up and hanging exercises with. One of the reasons it is really good for disc sports is that it develops great contact strength in the fingers and develops the forearms in ways that other exercises didn't seem to do for me. It will make your grip much stronger with alot less effort and really improves the flick motion for forehand throws (noticeably more power on release of the disc). I started using a Metolius hangboard as training for ultimate frisbee back in college, and especially with forehand throws there is a very noticeable distance improvement.

Good luck!

I'm thinking a 1x4 turned on edge above my doorway sounds inexpensive and effective. Thanks for the tip

I have a hang-board now, but in my old apartment I had solid molding on my door frames that worked just as well.

I also use a Dynaflex and Grip Master

I got all of these things to develop grip for climbing. Is there something out there more focused torwards disc golf?

I got all of these things to develop grip for climbing. Is there something out there more focused torwards disc golf?

DFX makes a 'power ball' that is a remake of the 80's dynabee, a gryoscopic exercise tool made specifically for grip. I keep mine in my car and use on on the road so that I don't lose any time at home.

However, I think the best exercise for disc golf is to disc golf as often as possible once your muscles have recovered from the last outing. I stretch to speed that up, work out any knots that develop in the shoulder/neck area but the muscle that I found hides the best in just below the shoulder. If you put the tops of your fingers on your throwing hand up against the opposite armpit and raise your throwing elbow up and around a bit, you'll feel it. It will hurt and that is the spot I rub out that allows me to recover faster and go out twice a week. Once all day on the weekend 8-9 hrs and once mid week for a few hours. BTW, I'm 50 yrs. old just for reference sake.

Latest posts