• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst Place to Live if You Love Disc Golf

bobmcnelly

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I thought it would be fun to look at the worst places geographically to live in the US for disc golf. I nominate Sulphur Nevada. Closest courses are almost 4 hours away.

That would be a wasteland. On the other hand, I suspect you could buy a couple of portables and find places to throw to your heart's content.

On the other hand, if you lived in, say, New York City, it would be tough to find any place to throw, and a hassle to get to a course.

I met some disc golfers in the Florida Keys, and they had a long and annoying drive to any course. If you lived in, say, Key West, it would be several hours of tedious driving to a course, and not a lot of open space to throw. On the other hand, you'd be in Key West.

In respect to my northerly friends, I won't mention places covered in ice for half the year.

So, yeah, you're probably right about Sulphur, NV.

Not the U.S., but I'm thinking the opposite side of the globe from the center of disc golf Steve West posted last week.

On the other hand, if you lived in, say, New York City, it would be tough to find any place to throw, and a hassle to get to a course.

there are actually a ton of courses (hell even a world class course if you drive 1hr 10min to warwick) within an hour of NYC. it depends on the area but some parks are quite expansive like park slope/corona/central park.

I've got a friend in queens (which is actually pretty cramped, but he has access to some pretty large parks within walking distance. we've had some decent field work sessions with adequate holes (using a portable basket) that have great lines through the trees anywhere from 200ft-450ft long on pretty deserted queens parks nestled in between the condos.

probably the main reason NYC doesn't have a DG park is the baskets being stolen. there are some parks that could feasibly hold one (van cortland, bronx, forest park and corona in queens, and prospect in brooklyn does have an object course.

Not the U.S., but I'm thinking the opposite side of the globe from the center of disc golf Steve West posted last week.

Not quite; NZ and Australia have some courses. The farthest you can live from a disc golf course is on Pitcairn Island.

In the U.S., the census tract with the lowest disc golf service level is the 5 people living way out on one of the Midway Islands. Followed by a lot of places in Alaska.

In the lower 48, it's on the edge of TX,near Presidio. Then, Northern Montana between Vandalia and Glasgow. The quantity of disc golf available there is the equivalent of having one-third of a chain.

China. From the info on this site, they have no courses in China. Definitely the worst place to live if you love disc golf and want to play a course with baskets.

For organized DG I'd say all of Asia in general. The quality of courses are fairly low and the governing bodies of dg in South Korea and Japan are shady as funk. If I was to pick a state purely based on weather I'd say Alaska. There's only one or two decent courses in the state and those are usually covered in snow more than half the year. Easily half of the available time left over to throw is overcast or raining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy
I'd say anywhere your wife is.

How long have you known my wife?

No, no, no, he was talking about my wife!

Latest posts