• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you still consider it an ace?

Any time you throw that second (or third, fourth, etc.) shot you've got information from previous throws with with to adjust for wind, elevation, obstacles, footing, etc. that gives you an advantage you wouldn't normally have. Being able to "ace" a hole means evaluating all that criteria before throwing the disc and then making just the right throw.

As everything in this thread that's just one person's opinion.

The scenario I haven't resolved in my mind is this: playing a sanctioned tournament and you throw a shot that ends up OB, you take the stroke penalty and decide to re-tee... that shot goes in the basket. You card a '3', is that an ace? I'm sure a lot of people would vote 'yes'. But to me it just doesn't seem real. To me an ace is writing a '1' on your scorecard.

No, no hostility at all. I have 3 aces myself and they all come during the course of a round on my first tee off attempt, so I don't have some secret motive here in my argument. I'm proud of those aces, and I think that he should be proud of his.
I don't get where all these warped definitions of what an ace is come from. An ace is when your disc goes in the basket when you threw it from the tee box...period. There really isn't any black and white about it. You can qualify what KIND of ace it is, but regardless it is an ace. You can call it a "practice" ace, a "2nd shot ace", or a brown ace or a blue ace. It doesn't matter how you qualify it, it is still an ace.
There's been countless ace threads and what they all boil down to is that yes, it is an ace, BUT you may not brag about it quite as much as you would about an ace that occured in a round, and you wouldn't brag as much about an ace in a casual round as you would one that occurred in a tournament round.
before you speak on definitions of words maybe you should look up the definition of the word in question . An ace is only on the first shot plain and simple, the word ace isnt to be thrown around lightly just like the word master in front of your occupation . just because you fly a plane dosnt make you an ace youve got to earn that sh** .

to anyone with a real ace mad props to you whether anyone saw it are not youve earned the right to say ive shot an ace, and you should be pissed off at all the people who wanna water down the word and take away its meaning because they are taking away from your acomplishment.

The scenario I haven't resolved in my mind is this: playing a sanctioned tournament and you throw a shot that ends up OB, you take the stroke penalty and decide to re-tee... that shot goes in the basket. You card a '3', is that an ace? I'm sure a lot of people would vote 'yes'. But to me it just doesn't seem real. To me an ace is writing a '1' on your scorecard.
i would call that a hole in one but i guess that would depend on what someones defintion of one is in that sentence , i can see the debate in that situation imo i would say hole in one but i could respect someones opinion saying its not.

4: a golf score of one stroke on a hole ; also : a hole made in one stroke

This definition, from websters dictionary online, does not support your argument. It says nothing of only being on your first shot. You may throw 25 discs, then throw a 26th shot that goes in the basket and that is the shot that you start your round on. You write down a 1 for that hole and continue the rest of the round. It was " a hole made in one stroke"
I'm not saying I would do this, but according to the definition above, if that is all that qualifies your throw as an ace then that is what you would have to do.
Obviously, there is not a defintion for a "disc golf ace" in the dictionary. So the definition that I was speaking of is what I believe to be the definition.
Really it is a silly thing to argue about. An online thread like this one is about the only place I've even heard this topic discussed at all.

before you speak on definitions of words maybe you should look up the definition of the word in question . An ace is only on the first shot plain and simple...

Oh my head hurts from reading all of this.:confused:

All I will say is this. A shot off the tee pad that goes in basket is an Ace. Period, end of story. I have never seen a better example of "splitting hairs" in all my life. He was trying for a hole in one shot and got it.

I am afraid with this crowd, if you said the sky was blue, someone would ask what shade of blue, and where was the sun when you made your original observation.

the freedictionary.com definition of ace-the act of hitting a golfball(disc) in the hole(basket) on ones first shot(throw). your definition also backs my arguement and you might have a point about the 25 shots then starting your round after you throw an ace but that would only work if you decided to start keeping score before you threw that (ace) not after.

I understand your trying to figure out a way to prove your arguement but thats just retar*** dude and dosnt make any since unless your just a cheater , maybe you throw a bunch shots on the first hole until you throw a bird then start your round but that shi* dont fly and you know it just give up .

LOL I think that you are probably right, unfortunately.

I am afraid with this crowd, if you said the sky was blue, someone would ask what shade of blue, and where was the sun when you made your original observation.

You may throw 25 discs, then throw a 26th shot that goes in the basket and that is the shot that you start your round on. You write down a 1 for that hole and continue the rest of the round. It was " a hole made in one stroke"
I'm not saying I would do this, but according to the definition above, if that is all that qualifies your throw as an ace then that is what you would have to do.

I gotta go with Omega on this one.

At some point common sense should come into play. Throwing a bunch of "practice" throws until you get one that you like and the saying "okay I'll start my round with that one" is BS. No one would ever be allowed to start a competitive round like that.

If you miss a putt during a round, do you throw a second putt from the same spot and count it if it goes in? Doing that is just as much BS as calling the 26th or 2nd throw from the tee an "ace".

As I said before in my post, I would not do that. I'm just using it to back up my argument and refute yours.
While you're looking up definitions, why don't you check out these words that you've misused:
retarded
shi*

the freedictionary.com definition of ace-the act of hitting a golfball(disc) in the hole(basket) on ones first shot(throw). your definition also backs my arguement and you might have a point about the 25 shots then starting your round after you throw an ace but that would only work if you decided to start keeping score before you threw that (ace) not after.

I understand your trying to figure out a way to prove your arguement but thats just retar*** dude and dosnt make any since unless your just a cheater , maybe you throw a bunch shots on the first hole until you throw a bird then start your round but that shi* dont fly and you know it just give up .

Dude, its definitly an ace. If you sank it from the tee, no one can argue it. Ive come close before and picked up a few more discs to throw but my throws always get worse then I am stuck with finding them all again.

Congrats!

I gotta go with Omega on this one.

At some point common sense should come into play. Throwing a bunch of "practice" throws until you get one that you like and the saying "okay I'll start my round with that one" is BS. No one would ever be allowed to start a competitive round like that.

We've gotten off onto tangents here. Here is the basic statement I am trying to make: whether you call it a practice ace or a legitimate first throw in a round ace...it is still an ace.

Yeah...

Dude, its definitly an ace. If you sank it from the tee, no one can argue it. Ive come close before and picked up a few more discs to throw but my throws always get worse then I am stuck with finding them all again.

Congrats!

Have to agree with this one. As someone else who keeps coming so close and not quite sticking them, I would definitely count it.

Now I'm confused...:p
in the situation eric was talking about if you consider a hole in one to mean one throw that goes from the tee to the basket it could be considered a hole in one because it only took one throw from the tee but i agrre its still kinda murky because technicaly it was your second throw not your first and then it counts as your third, still i think its a good shot and deserves some kind of title the one thing i do know is its not an ace.

Any time you throw that second (or third, fourth, etc.) shot you've got information from previous throws with with to adjust for wind, elevation, obstacles, footing, etc. that gives you an advantage you wouldn't normally have. Being able to "ace" a hole means evaluating all that criteria before throwing the disc and then making just the right throw.

I agree that this is true, but the same could be said of watching 3 people throw in front of you before you throw your own shot. You gain extra information from their throws with which to adjust your own shot.

We've gotten off onto tangents here. Here is the basic statement I am trying to make: whether you call it a practice ace or a legitimate first throw in a round ace...it is still an ace.
by your definition of an ace there can be know such thing as a practice ace so im not sure at this point if your backing me or you.
:)

Adjustments?

I agree that this is true, but the same could be said of watching 3 people throw in front of you before you throw your own shot. You gain extra information from their throws with which to adjust your own shot.

And on a similar note, when I do take multiple shots from the tee after coming close, they just get worse for me. A few different times I've hit chains, and decided to take a couple more shots at it, and every time I throw absolutely awful shots that come nowhere near the basket.

in the situation eric was talking about if you consider a hole in one to mean one throw that goes from the tee to the basket it could be considered a hole in one because it only took one throw from the tee but i agrre its still kinda murky because technicaly it was your second throw not your first and then it counts as your third, still i think its a good shot and deserves some kind of title the one thing i do know is its not an ace.
So it seems like you call an "Ace" first throw on the hole that sinks, and a "Hole in One" as a throw that goes from Tee to Basket in one, but not necessarily the first throw?

Latest posts