• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you want a driving range on your home course?

Would you want a driving range on your home course?

• Yes

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 24.7%

• Total voters

slowRoll

Banned
Jump off of the thread I created the other day here.

Everything takes time and money, so this poll is just to see what percentage of players would be interested in having something like this where they play.

This ideal driving range would be wide open flat land 200 feet wide by 500 feet long. 3 concrete teepads poured side by side 20 feet apart. Distance markers(simple white hard plastic signs with black numbers) every 50 feet. No nets, magic conveyor belts, or any other nonsense I've heard people dream up. Just wide open land to practice throwing drives on.

What do you think?

would be nice, only thing is most courses are designed to utalize the space given. unless there is a huge open field next to the course then it probably would not happen. i normally go to a football field to measure throws . the idea is cool i just think it would only work on courses that have that extra space thats already cleared out. I helped clear out about a 140ft hole in the woods back in '09 and that took us days and lots of man hours.

i vote yes

@silverbullet

This would not work for most pre-existing courses we already have. To properly install one of these, you would have to plan ahead of time to clear out an area near the parking lot for the range. We do this already to a lesser extent with the warm-up basket for putting. I'm just curious if players would be interested in having one of these. If the majority of players want a driving range, then our course designers could begin including more of these(where able) in their initial course layouts they propose to parks services officials.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I would rather use the space for additional hole(s) -- you can include distance markers within a hole and kill 2 birds with one stone. Take a 500+ hole and mark off every 50'.. people could go there JUST to practice and let players through or throw multiple drives and continue through the course. No safety issues or wasted space. The best use of land available is the critical point. Driving ranges just do not see the use from my experience compared to actual holes and most of the time a field/park etc is close to use. You do not get anything more out of throwing in a driving range (generally wide open) than you would throwing longer defined holes.

A driving range at public park courses would be the one place to avoid. I think it would be busy all the time and just a dangerous place to try and collect discs.
A driving range at a pay-to-play course or privately owned course would be a great idea and I think everyone would be inclined to use it before a round or even after as well.
I think the most important factor to consider for a driving range is gonna be the types of players who will be using it.

There's lots of places to do this already at the same park as our local course. Large areas of open grass are typically a hot commodity around here and get used for soccer, flag football, and other popular sports with kids. Jockeying for position with these parents has become a real hassle around here as of late. It would create more of a problem for us I believe.

A magic conveyor belt would change my opinion though. Although it would probably be used by the joggers as a giant treadmill and we'd have to fight them too.

I would rather use the space for additional hole(s) -- you can include distance markers within a hole and kill 2 birds with one stone. Take a 500+ hole and mark off every 50'.. people could go there JUST to practice and let players through or throw multiple drives and continue through the course. No safety issues or wasted space. The best use of land available is the critical point. Driving ranges just do not see the use from my experience compared to actual holes and most of the time a field/park etc is close to use. You do not get anything more out of throwing in a driving range (generally wide open) than you would throwing longer defined holes.

I think most people would rather just have more holes too AFTC, that's why I added the poll. I don't agree with some of you on the safety argument though. How is it any safer to go collect your discs on hole #5 after emptying your bag on the course? If anything, you would be more in the way if the couse is as busy as some of you keep suggesting it would be. I do not envision a "flood" of players constantly on the range. More like a couple of guys doing field work a half hour at a time, then the chuckers rolling through, emptying their bag once before starting the round. Even if there are 5 of you practicing; you would just throw until everyone is done throwing and walk out together to pick up your discs. If a 6th walks up while you are doing so, he can just wait till you are done recovering them... or deal with a gang of angry golfers that just got thrown upon.

Our version of a driving range would obviously be much more difficult to implement than in ball golf because we need to go retrieve our discs. But I would enjoy having one of these where I play, and I suspect most other people would too.

Last edited:
a driving range is just a giant field and most of the courses i play are a least moderately wooded and have very few wide open holes. a practice basket however is a great additive and can give you practice you will use on every hole

^ Thats exactly right, every course should have a practice basket or two. The only course around my house with a couple practice baskets is Brewer Park. I'm glad I finally have my own practice basket, so thats a plus.

i would love distance markers that aren't on a school campus' football field.

As the weather gets worse, I am thinking more and more about a driving net, maybe in my garage - and maybe just for fun, I'll stick a mini marker basket on a bench a few feet behind the net as a reference target haha.

I voted 'No'.

My home course is only 9 holes to begin with.
Plus there is already a couple of nice, open areas to throw warm-up or practice drives without actually playing or interfering with a hole.
A few others that I've played recently have had soccer or baseball fields in the same complex.
They tend to work just fine for that same purpose, provided they're not already in use.
Plus, you can throw both ways on those.

I don't see a reason why you wouldn't do a driving range the space is available. One thing I would add is teepads on the other side so you can throw your drives back.

The problem with nets is that you don't get to see the actual flight of the disc. You think you really nailed that drive, but it hits the net so quickly that you have no way of knowing if you threw it cleanly or if it was a nose up trainwreck. We have 2 of these nets at my work for the ball golfers, and I can honestly say that I cannot improve my game by throwing into them because I can't acurately see my results.

For getting your body warm, a net is fine. For working on improving your line shaping, they are borderline useless.

A driving range at public park courses would be the one place to avoid. I think it would be busy all the time and just a dangerous place to try and collect discs.
A driving range at a pay-to-play course or privately owned course would be a great idea and I think everyone would be inclined to use it before a round or even after as well.
I think the most important factor to consider for a driving range is gonna be the types of players who will be using it.

^ this.