• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf driving range

Would you use a paid driving range?

• Yes

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 80 61.1%
  • Maybe, depends on execution

Votes: 43 32.8%

• Total voters
Field work for me is not just about locking in muscle memory. I also like being able to see my discs fly in the open to continue to build familiarity with them. Practicing with someone else's beat up loaners doesn't give me any of that benefit.

This is me, too. I think of field work partially as developing shot visualization.

Though I don't think this is the worst idea ever, the range thing. I don't know that I'd be too inclined to A) pay to throw B) random discs, until (if/when) I had no access to unused soccer fields etc.

Though, more from a recreation vs. practice standpoint, I could see it. Have a few taps in the clubhouse, and multiple target game sort of opportunities, I could see going there instead of, say, cosmic bowling.

Though, more from a recreation vs. practice standpoint, I could see it. Have a few taps in the clubhouse, and multiple target game sort of opportunities, I could see going there instead of, say, cosmic bowling.

Yes. Think of all fun games that could be created with various targets in the field. That would be awesome.

Yes. Think of all fun games that could be created with various targets in the field. That would be awesome.

If it was right by an actual course, you could have a couple pints after the round and play "HORSE" or whatever, closest to the <whatever.>

Also not a terrible place to take noobs to help #growthesport

Something like this could work, I think, in the right place. Not a place where a disc golf range is the main attraction, but a multipurpose rec business could add one and make $$ on it, I think.

E.g. Vitense in Madison. I don't think they really have room, but a place like that could make this work.

It would be a big area but I've often thought a field 1,000'x1,000' would be about right. You could choose which wind direction you want to practice (wind is a huge factor here), lots of room for many throwers, bad releases stay in the field (generally), and you could have a dedicated pick-up person or pick up your own without much risk from other throwers.

Though, more from a recreation vs. practice standpoint, I could see it.

Lol, we have the exact opposite take. I couldn't imagine how this would be recreation. For me it would be purely practice.

I truly think the vast majority of disc golfers are practicing wrong, practicing with too few reps to make an impact, and practicing the "feel" aspects of the game in a field without any "feel" aspects at all. Golfers don't hit the range to practice a multitude of shots, that is what the course is for. Golfers hit the range to address top level swing mechanics.

Lol, we have the exact opposite take. I couldn't imagine how this would be recreation. For me it would be purely practice.

I truly think the vast majority of disc golfers are practicing wrong, practicing with too few reps to make an impact, and practicing the "feel" aspects of the game in a field without any "feel" aspects at all. Golfers don't hit the range to practice a multitude of shots, that is what the course is for. Golfers hit the range to address top level swing mechanics.

Ah. I see where you're coming from. I could see it in that sense in an area that has limited space otherwise.

But here, say, where many of the courses also have large soccer facilities that are not often packed out, and since I have plenty of discs to get quite a few reps in just a few trips back/forth, I wouldn't be inclined to pay TOO much.

Last edited:
Concept is right on. Let's tweak it. With golf you drive the ball. With dg you drive the disc. So it would be a modification of that.

Do I like the idea. Yes. Golf courses are getting on board with dg. Another money stream.

Let them figure it out.

Field work already sucks. Im not going to pay to drive discs that are not my own and have no real care to throw. It would depend on the selection for sure if you could always try new stuff etc..

You can easily do this into a net in a garage for the muscle workout and unless it was indoors count me out 4 sure.

I would prefer an indoor course, kind of like a nine hole executive pitch and putt in ball golf. Not super challenging, but a relaxed alternative, especially in marginal weather.

75'-200' of interesting DG per hole. Short enough to accommodate grand-kids, SO's, and other non regulars, but still interesting enough to satisfy the serious. Elevation should be pretty simple to accomplish and, with a little imagination, most holes could be worth a few bucks on a cold, wet Saturday. Better than going to the local pinball arcade and probably cheaper, even with optional disc rental and concession expenses. :thmbup:

Field work for me is not just about locking in muscle memory. I also like being able to see my discs fly in the open to continue to build familiarity with them. Practicing with someone else's beat up loaners doesn't give me any of that benefit.

This is my same attitude when doing field work. With the wind, against the wind, from to and fro- working my bag from overstable to understable finding out what each disc does in every situation. When I leave the practice field a usually know which disc is King Dick.

I voted maybe, but only if it were indoor with a radar gun and I could use my own discs. I could see using it in bad weather, at night, winter months, etc. Attached building to a health club and offer it as an extra perk multi-use facility with netted areas to throw.

Most disc golfers don't practice at all. And those that do are just doing it to test out their equipment. The fact is, the vast majority of disc golfers don't care one bit about how pure their form is, they just want to throw their discs.

Most disc golfers don't practice at all. And those that do are just doing it to test out their equipment. The fact is, the vast majority of disc golfers don't care one bit about how pure their form is, they just want to throw their discs.

+1. my thoughts exactly. a short, challenging novelty course would have more appeal for me...

This thread is, of course, a fun fantasy---thinking of what sort of driving range would actually be more attractive, to any degree, than an open field.

Among the tougher realities is that you'd need a location with a high enough disc golf population that the small percentage who would use the driving range, would be enough to support it. And need to be convenient enough for them to do so. Which comes to the biggie:

Land costs.

A piece of level land large enough for a driving range, centrally-located in a city with enough disc golfers, is going to be a bit pricey. And no doubt have better economic uses.

I would rather have an indoor driving range with a net and a screen. The screen would have a virtual course that you could play. You could have every top course in the world on there. It would have to be multiplayer. It would also be awesome to try new discs or use your own. I don't know how the computer would track how worn out personal discs were but that's something minor compared to how awesome that would be.

^^^^ This. Ball golf has these virtual setups you can even get in your living room (they're several thousand bucks though - at least they were when I looked a few years ago, I'm sure the price has come down somewhat). That would be awesome to have a DG version

I think the better possibility is an event, not a going concern. The draw would be to let players try new discs. Stacks of the latest greatest or most popular plastic from one or more manufacturers.

No one would need to get "their" disc back, and the test discs could be sold as slightly used.

Just try to throw the Colossus fifteen times without buying one.

Hold it somewhere that a lot of players were already gathered, like a big tournament.

I'm with the majority here. I live 5 minutes from a course and have plenty of fields around. I don't mind retrieving discs. The only way I think this could be a viable business would be if it were attached to a 5 star course. And even then it would just be used by people warming up.

Latest posts